Gundy job status

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
What we need is someone who can challenge Gundy without Gundy getting bent out of shape. When Holder called him out on recruiting Gundy wanted to take his ball and go home. And Holder really wasn’t that critical. He just said if He were the coach He would be trying to get higher rated recruits. Remember as a golf coach Holder was a good recruiter. So it wasn’t the worst thing he could have said yet Gundy took umbrage. Someone needs to counter balance Gundy.
I would agree that Gundy needs to have some more fire under his belly in certain areas, but to say that football and golf recruiting are the same is asinine. Plus we already have had a rich tradition of golfing for a while now, I would argue to say we are one of the blue bloods in college golf.
This whole wanting better recruiting is beating a dead horse, man would i love some 5 star blue chips, but we do not have to recruiting budget to go and recruit these players. Blue blood schools already have an advantage from decades upon decades of putting people in the the NFL, why go away from a proven system? With the NIL stuff this will only further the gap.
On top of all of that our geographical area does not do us much help either, much of the time these higher recruits come from FL, TX, CA etc. and many of them don't want to come to small town Stillwater to play and have no where near the college experience they would in some of the bigger metropolitan teams.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What position coach do we get rid of? You do realize there is a limit on the number of coaches teams can have right? So to add a special teams coach we have to eliminate another position coach spot, so which one? Is that one maybe more valuable than a special teams coach...

Also in todays game they have basically made the special teams non existent. It really is not 1/3rd of the game anymore. They have made it where returns are hard to actually have occur. In fact they may soon just get rid of kickoffs completely. They have made it where they are close to that now anyway. Thus with the rules deemphasizing special teams it makes sense not to have a full coaching spot dedicated to it.
You have one of your position coaches do extra duty. It's how we used to do it and how every other program does it. Missouri state has their RB coach and TE coach as co ST coordinators. They out preformed our special teams Saturday night. This isn't rocket science, it's pretty much the way its done in college football except for Oklahoma State.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You have one of your position coaches do extra duty. It's how we used to do it and how every other program does it. Missouri state has their RB coach and TE coach as co ST coordinators. They out preformed our special teams Saturday night. This isn't rocket science, it's pretty much the way its done in college football except for Oklahoma State.
Was Deforest our last ST coordinator? He was associate head coach, defensive assistant and special teams coach.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Conference records the past four years. I said five in my original post, but I should have said four and this is the fifth.
2017: 6-3
2018: 3-6
2019: 5-4
2020: 6-3
2021: ??

How do you call that anything but middling?
It's generational. The older fans still consider such a string of records a resounding success, because their perspective is rooted in a time when we didn't have competitive facilities, and bowl games actually meant something. Neither of those things are true, now, but they still use those metrics to define success. Our history sucks so bad that they consider barely over 0.500 in conference play of a super weak conference praiseworthy. We should count our little blessings to have Gundy gracing our presence at OSU.

Bottom line is that Gundy has become a really bad coach since Monken left. He could be a good CEO-type in some ways, but his lack of in-game adjustments and poor coordinator selections are holding us back in a major way.

And before anyone says it, he doesn't have to cheat or run a dirty program to hire good coordinators or develop dynamic gameplans. He just has to be relatively intelligent, driven, and hard-working. At this point, I just don't think he's smart enough to figure it out. His constant "aww shucks" attitude after games when challenged about lackluster performances points to either laziness, lack of creativity, lack of intelligence, or all of them in combination.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's generational. The older fans still consider such a string of records a resounding success, because their perspective is rooted in a time when we didn't have competitive facilities, and bowl games actually meant something. Neither of those things are true, now, but they still use those metrics to define success. Our history sucks so bad that they consider barely over 0.500 in conference play of a super weak conference praiseworthy. We should count our little blessings to have Gundy gracing our presence at OSU.

Bottom line is that Gundy has become a really bad coach since Monken left. He could be a good CEO-type in some ways, but his lack of in-game adjustments and poor coordinator selections are holding us back in a major way.

And before anyone says it, he doesn't have to cheat or run a dirty program to hire good coordinators or develop dynamic gameplans. He just has to be relatively intelligent, driven, and hard-working. At this point, I just don't think he's smart enough to figure it out. His constant "aww shucks" attitude after games when challenged about lackluster performances points to either laziness, lack of creativity, lack of intelligence, or all of them in combination.
Dude, our win percentage in the last decade is number 10…that’s timeless and all under Gundy. We will win 10 this year…and would have last year had we played the entire schedule…it’s one game in. We have no idea

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

Who would do a better job for the same salary, or less? Who has? For a really bad coach to have us as the 2nd best program in the Big XII the last 10 years, the rest of the coaches other than Riley must truly suck.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Who would do a better job for the same salary, or less? Who has? For a really bad coach to have us as the 2nd best program in the Big XII the last 10 years, the rest of the coaches other than Riley must truly suck.
No clue on the first question. My main point is trying to figure out why Gundy insists on our garbage offensive scheme year after year that gives us zero chance of national relevance. Why do we constantly run into stacked boxes? Why do our QBs seemingly never progress? Why don't we throw to the middle of the field, ever? Why do we use "throw it deep and hope for a PI" as a fundamental part of our offense? Why do we always have a weak O-line? These are the things I'd like to understand.

Aug 26, 2004
In our current situation, who are we going to hire that is both better and willing to stick around for a decade plus?

Some of y'all need to check out how Nebraska is doing after firing coach after coach for not meeting unrealistic expectations and see how that is going for them.
Agree.
No matter who comes in after Coach Gundy, it will most likely be the same. This board is just so hateful and negative to him and his staff it gets deflating just to read it.
I can't imagine what a potential Coach or his/her family will think when they read this stuff. It will definitely be all about $$$$ then. OSU will make a real nice "stepping stone" then.
Just saying.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
What's our win % post-Monken? How many conference championships have we won post-Monken? What relevant bowl games have we played in post-Monken?
Just because you think winning bowl games is nothing doesn’t mean that it is because Birry and ou homers say so. Freaking last year we beat a Miami team in a Florida bowl game who was highly regarded. So yep last year… Just because you have checked out on Gundy it doesn’t mean you are right.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Why make one of them do double duty when we can just have a grad assistant do the job full time like we do? That way one person can focus on it. I just don't see why people want to harp on this so much. Special teams are not really as big a part of the game anymore anyway for any teams.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
So your only metric for "good" is a conference championship. No wonder you're such a miserable Moe.
So you still consider us "good" when we have zero conference championships in the last decade, and a current downward trajectory? That's just sad.

I'll bet you attended OSU when we sucked. It would explain your laughably low standards and defeatist mindset. So laughably low and defeatist, that your only responses to valid criticisms are childish memes....

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
So you still consider us "good" when we have zero conference championships in the last decade, and a current downward trajectory? That's just sad.

I'll bet you attended OSU when we sucked. It would explain your laughably low standards and defeatist mindset. So laughably low and defeatist, that your only responses to valid criticisms are childish memes....
Says the guy who can’t even name a viable replacement for the coach he wants to fire.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Just because you think winning bowl games is nothing doesn’t mean that it is because Birry and ou homers say so. Freaking last year we beat a Miami team in a Florida bowl game who was highly regarded. So yep last year… Just because you have checked out on Gundy it doesn’t mean you are right.
The Cheez-It Bowl. We won a game called the Cheez-It Bowl. And you're using that as your supporting argument. Haha!

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Then step up and tell us who we should hire. I bet AD Chad is all ears....

Then step up and tell us who we should hire. I bet AD Chad is all ears....

Status
Not open for further replies.