Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2010
While I agree, your post shows a lack of knowledge in terms of recruiting geography and faculties upgrades...not too mention the cheating that occurred to build the Baylor “way.”
While Baylor certainly has done well with their facilities, I don't buy the recruiting proximity argument. Kids that have grown up in Central Texas know Waco already, you really think they want to go to college there?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
While I agree, your post shows a lack of knowledge in terms of recruiting geography and faculties upgrades...not too mention the cheating that occurred to build the Baylor “way.”
While Baylor certainly has done well with their facilities, I don't buy the recruiting proximity argument. Kids that have grown up in Central Texas know Waco already, you really think they want to go to college there?
Why would a recruit from central Texas necessarily chose OSU over Baylor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Calm
Down man. I agree it’s not rocket science so let’s keep our coach who has been hyper successful here and build on that success rather than tear it down.
Hyper definition
1 : high-strung, excitable also : highly excited was a little hyper after drinking too much coffee. 2 : extremely active hyper children.

So we keep our coach because he's excitable... actually I can't think of any better reason.

ArizonaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
I can’t speak for all 83 people but I’m guessing many of those people would be willing to let Gundy make the necessary changes but believe that realistically he WON’T make changes and is perfectly fine with 7-9 wins and no conference championships and therefore SHOULD be let go because his refusal to adapt.
Exactly. Great coaches ask their players to improve in any area they can no matter how small because it can make a difference in a game and add value to the team. I don’t see where Gundy strives to try and make any incremental improvements in areas he needs to develop and improve.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Why would a recruit from central Texas necessarily chose OSU over Baylor?

Maybe they don't want to go to a small private Baptist university, with a NCAA investigation still in process, that still has the 2nd worst overall record since they joined the Big 12. Recruits may not care about records going back this far, but they still average less than 3 conference wins per season since they joined the Big 12.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
Maybe they don't want to go to a small private Baptist university, with a NCAA investigation still in process, that still has the 2nd worst overall record since they joined the Big 12. Recruits may not care about records going back this far, but they still average less than 3 conference wins per season since they joined the Big 12.
But they've won 2 conference titles since Gundy got his.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
We've had 5 offensive lineman graduate or transfer out over the past year, and we've only signed 3 to replace them. Hopefully we'll get at least a couple more guys during the late signing period or through the transfer portal to address this issue.

I wouldn't rule out Gunnar down the road. He's got some talent, he's just undersized. I'm still worried about the depth though. We're a couple injuries away from having a walk-on under center. I would prefer to sign a QB in every class because of how important they are to the program.
I hope many graduated 6th year OLs would return for their post graduate studies with the extra year of Covid eligibility.

Dec 11, 2011
I'm sure 18 year old stud athletes keep detailed records on which programs have acceptable "souls".
I’m sure Gundy/OSU would have as many or more conference championships than Baylor if the program actively covered up rapes & assaults to keep stud athletes on the field. I’ll keep maintaining the mindset that Baylor’s actions to elevate & maintain their success are unacceptable under any circumstances.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
no QB (sorry boys but a division 2 qb just isn't going to help even if they are "coach on the field"). We are happy with a 36 national ranking, really?
We will get high ranking if we were to sign more RBs and QBs as in the likes of Hershel Sims or Dexter Pratt and QBs in the likes of Bobby Reids and John Kolar.
Being eyed, hyped and SuperStars at their respective high schools, the RBs , QBs and WRs these skills positions tends to be over awarded with 5* and 4*. But we only need 1 QB and 1 RB here at any downs in the games.

We need more OLs and DLs and those Big Jumbo Athletes. Lacks of OLs , DLs and TEs (Jumbo athletes can can be converted to DLs, or OLs later) recruits is why I am not happy with the current class. Any high ranking recruiting class is useless with 5* and 4* that will not play worthy downs in the like of Hershel Sims, Dexter Pratt, John Kolar etc.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Gundy is a below average coach receiving ridiculous pay. There are HS coaches running better offenses that could do what he does for less than an 1/8th of what we pay his arrogant little self. Beating a COVID weakened BU doesn't make him Knute Rockney.
Gundy goes and will be as good only along with the quality, health and performance of the OLs he recruited, developed, and coached in protecting and blocking for the QBs and RBs.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Based on the quotes directly after the Dickey hire, the program definitely gave off the impression they thought they were upgrading. Dickey had been unpoachable while Snyder was at Kstate. They were thinking why match for Henson when for cheaper we can get a preferred option.

Now, was that the right choice? Jury is still out, it’s a development coach vs a recruiting coach, but Henson is racking up those recruits early.

Looks like Gundy has put all his "Offensive Eggs" in the Coach Dickey hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.