Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I have met some of the top college football recruiters and they mostly have two things in common they love recruiting and kids gravitate towards their personality. Gundy said on his show something to the effect he wished during season coaches didn’t have to recruit. If you come to the fight mentally beat then you will lose.
I have a high school player. I am an avid OSU fan. I would not look forward to an in home visit from Mike Gundy. Just being honest.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Holder didn't have the million that Gundy forfeited.
Right, he does now. That's what I am saying, can't we use some of it for the most important part of a successful program? Look at the budgets of the real big dogs who continually beat the crap out of the team that beats the crap out of us. If we're already at a disadvantage why exacerbate it when schools like Iowa State and Kansas aren't.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
He doesn't? Just keep believing that.

Recruiting isn't something he wants to do, so he won't allocate and/or request more money for it.

His personal bank account, that is something he believes in and will threaten to leave for it to be improved.

Tennessee's $2M (2018 number) recruiting budget probably scared him off.
I agree. The off week in bedlam he was out hunting. Riley was recruiting and building a game plan to bury us.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How is this OSU related?
It’s not, at all. So ur question is completely reasonable.

When the OSU sports forum has almost zero traffic, a brilliant mod will move a thread about the CFP in the blink of an eye to the general sports forum.

Inconsistent Barney Fife moderation is entertaining though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
do we have the fancy counter read option that OU does? no because our guys cant run it. If you think that running counter/trap/power is as simple as put it in the playbook and run it you lack a fundamental knowledge of ol play.
Counter scheme, or any kind of pull scheme is exactly what OSU should be good at.

And....it meshes absolutely perfect with zone scheme because it requires the exact same skill....quickness

OSU should be able to get lineman that aren't quite as big, but are quick. We can get that guy to OSU more easily than an elite guy that has both size and quickness.

So...If we have to choose between size and quickness OSU should always choose quickness.

If our lineman aren't athletic enough to run pull scheme, then they are damn sure not athletic enough to run zone scheme.

If they're not athletic to run those concepts than we don't know what we are doing in recruiting.

And...in that case....Why is inside and outside zone 80% of our run scheme?

And.... Why are we so basic in the way that we line down to it, the way we aren't giving false flow reads, multiple personnel groups etc.?

Zone blocking requires quickness more than it does raw power because you're constantly trying to hook guys with an outside shade on you and having to scrape to block athletic linebackers.

If you can do that, then you can zone away, and pull wrap or pull kick which is what counter scheme is.

What makes OU's counter scheme so effective is that they can run the same thing in a million different ways.

In other words, no matter how you adjust to it, they find a way to run their counter scheme.

For instance...if you cut the pullers, then they start wrapping instead of kicking and make it an A gap play.
Or......They add zone to the front side of it.. Meaning....they run zone one way with the line, play fake zone to a back to that side, then the Qb pulls and gets behind the pullers.

They pull Guard and tackle, H and Tackle, fullback and tackle etc....

Then the have Qb pull scheme and hot scheme to the H backs, inside receivers etc....built off of it.

The same way Baylor did to us running that same counter scheme last year when they beat us at home.

So...although it is all counter scheme, they have the ability to run it in whichever way they need to beat you.

We used to do that with our zone scheme as I showed with break down of the first 2 drives against OU in 2011.

Now....We don't

We line down with the same players, in the same personnel sets, out of the same formations and run the same zone plays over and over and over.

If OU was that unimaginative with their counter scheme, their counter scheme would look just like our zone scheme.

Last edited:

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Yeah your right, surely there is a top recruit in football out there that Gundy can go hire his brother or maybe his father...
This assertion goes against everything the young man has said about his brother being a coach and the effort Boynton put in with him.

Last edited:

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Early on, Gundy soured a lot on recruiting. I think it had a lot to do with higher profile schools flipping some of his top recruits, even though he would still get some of them. It is almost like he has given up when it comes to recruiting top players.

WR should be the easiest position to recruit, so how do we not land a top 20 WR at least every other year?
If you were a top WR recruit would you really want come play in this "system?" Sure if you're the guy, but if you're a really good player that is not designated the guy, you might get 12 catches a year.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Counter scheme, or any kind of pull scheme is exactly what OSU should be good at.

And....it meshes absolutely perfect with zone scheme because it requires the exact same skill....quickness

OSU should be able to get lineman that aren't quite as big, but are quick. We can get that guy to OSU more easily than an elite guy that has both size and quickness.

So...If we have to choose between size and quickness OSU should always choose quickness.

If our lineman aren't athletic enough to run pull scheme, then they are damn sure not athletic enough to run zone scheme.

If they're not athletic to run those concepts than we don't know what we are doing in recruiting.

And...in that case....Why is inside and outside zone 80% of our run scheme?

And.... Why are we so basic in the way that we line down to it, the way we aren't giving false flow reads, multiple personnel groups etc.?

Zone blocking requires quickness more than it does raw power because you're constantly trying to hook guys with an outside shade on you and having to scrape to block athletic linebackers.

If you can do that, then you can zone away, and pull wrap or pull kick which is what counter scheme is.

What makes OU's counter scheme so effective is that they can run the same thing in a million different ways.

In other words, no matter how you adjust to it, they find a way to run their counter scheme.

For instance...if you cut the pullers, then they start wrapping instead of kicking and make it an A gap play.
Or......They add zone to the front side of it.. Meaning....they run zone one way with the line, play fake zone to a back to that side, then the Qb pulls and gets behind the pullers.

They pull Guard and tackle, H and Tackle, fullback and tackle etc....

Then the have Qb pull scheme and hot scheme to the H backs, inside receivers etc....built off of it.

The same way Baylor did to us running that same counter scheme last year when they beat us at home.

So...although it is all counter scheme, they have the ability to run it in whichever way they need to beat you.

We used to do that with our zone scheme as I showed with break down of the first 2 drives against OU in 2011.

Now....We don't

We line down with the same players, in the same personnel sets, out of the same formations and run the same zone plays over and over and over.

If OU was that unimaginative with their counter scheme, their counter scheme would look just like our zone scheme.
I am not asking you to bash Gundy by inquiring, but why would a D1 coach do what Gundy is doing right now with our offense?
Is Gundy actually giving Dunn a mostly free rein, but Dunn is in over his head?
Is Gundy dictating the calls, and actually believes that this simple approach gives us the best chance?
Is Gundy putting in minimal work hours so he can prioritize family, so his job performances is suffering?
Is he trying to send a message to our o-line, and thinks that "challenging" them is going to yield best results?

I just can't wrap my head around what we're seeing right now. Like.......I can't see a scenario that doesn't point to incompetence, stubbornness, or laziness on his part (or maybe all of them?), and that seems incredible to me given his salary and apparent skill level.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Where/when did he say that? Missed it.
It was in an interview they did with Boynton a couple of weeks ago. One done by the school itself I think. Can't find it now. A lot of people were talking about it at the time since it was mostly about Cade and his brother. In it Cannen also talked about he had actually gotten a promotion to assistant coach up from video coordinator, but before it went into affect Tulane fired the whole staff. So the point being is he was going to be a coach already and thus went looking for the same position with Boynton.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
the number 1 basketball player in the country is playing basketball in stillwater on probation. ENOUGH WITH THE EXCUSES!
Let's not act like his brother being on the coaching staff here didn't play a huge part in him staying as well, i mean it's not like Cade had to go and prove himself at a big time program, he is already considered the #1 draft pick for 2021.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You really gonna compare Gundy to those 2? Ugh.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Well the statement was that the grass isn't always greener...so what if ou had said that and kept those 2 boneheads?? Kinda like we are doing now, just being happy to make bowl games and never being a serious threat to win a conference championship because our coach plays not to lose by too much instead of emptying the gun.
A cheater and a bonehead compared to our winningest coach. You would be better off comparing it to stoops and then switching from stoops to somebody else like Riley if you really want to make your point.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
How long will the Sooners give Lincoln Riley to win a bowl game? Big 12 titles are nice, but that is kind of the minimum standard for them. He's 0-3 and the Sooners are 2-6 in their last 8 bowl games. Big bowl games for sure but still not winning.
If you aren't winning a NC, does it really matter whether you won the Fiesta or the Citrus? I'm not saying it's great to lose all of your bowl games but I couldn't tell you (or give a damn) who won the Rose or Orange bowl in the last 10 years. I'm glad we won that Fiesta bowl but do you think anyone outside of Oklahoma really cared? If we play in the Texas or Weedeater bowl this year, I'll watch for a bit but it's just not important IMO.

Aug 31, 2008
If you aren't winning a NC, does it really matter whether you won the Fiesta or the Citrus? I'm not saying it's great to lose all of your bowl games but I couldn't tell you (or give a damn) who won the Rose or Orange bowl in the last 10 years. I'm glad we won that Fiesta bowl but do you think anyone outside of Oklahoma really cared? If we play in the Texas or Weedeater bowl this year, I'll watch for a bit but it's just not important IMO.
Yes it matters because recruits care about that stuff a lot. If you are playing in the weedeater bowl and the other school you are considering is playing in the fiesta bowl they will probably pick the team playing in the fiesta bowl

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
If you were a top WR recruit would you really want come play in this "system?" Sure if you're the guy, but if you're a really good player that is not designated the guy, you might get 12 catches a year.
That was my original thought, but some of that may have more to do with the QB. Especially when you consider how many actual targets go to Tylan Wallace (incompletions and flags).

In fairness to Tylan Wallace (#17 WR), he is the only Top 20 WR (per 247) we have signed out of high school since Dez Bryant (#7) in 2007.

So with that logic, if you are a top 20 WR and you see the targets that Wallace gets, you should go to OSU.

Rudolph really knew how to spread the ball around. 2017 team also had Tyron Johnson and Chris Lacy (who I still consider one of the most under-used WRs in our history)

1607639524399.png

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
Yes it matters because recruits care about that stuff a lot. If you are playing in the weedeater bowl and the other school you are considering is playing in the fiesta bowl they will probably pick the team playing in the fiesta bowl
Eh, I guess I'm just showing my age. There's so many bowl games now, it seems like everyone is playing in one at the end of the year and 95% of them are all the same. So if I was a recruit, (and I knew I wasn't good enough to play for one of the big time programs) I wouldn't care which bowl I went to, as long as we went somewhere. Hell, the Hawaii/Aloha bowl is a bottom tier bowl but I'd be more excited to play in that one than the Outback or California raisin bowl.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Winner winner chicken dinner. Gundy's focus was himself not the program.
The point, that apparently he didn't get, is a million less in his savings wouldn't have changed his lifestyle any, just a little smaller number in an account somewhere. But it could have made his life a lot easier and more fun by spending it in the right areas of the program. Plus he could have passed it off like he was so invested in the program the fans would have been praising him.

Status
Not open for further replies.