Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Yes I do...we will win one...but we are against OU and Texas and they have tradition and money, we just have money!
The rest of the Big 12 (not named Kansas) has a better record against OU than us.

So how do we get out of the Big 12's cellar? Wouldn't it be nice to be at least as competitive as ISU, KSU, TCU, and Baylor? Is that asking too much?

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Does anyone really think Gundy will ever beat OU and/or win a Big 12 championship?

I'd like to ask if anyone has any hope because I just don't see a bright future for OSU.
Maybe on OU and no on the NC on your questions.
I think Gundy has taken us as far as he can.
I hope after next season he steps down.

fratdaddy

Banned
Banned
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Statistics don't lie. OSU football is in huge trouble.

If we don't make a change, and soon, we'll just be circling the drain. Why would another donor ever give like T Boone if this is how we protect that investment?

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
You argument leaves out 1 major part, our facilities before Gundy were worse than a lot of high school stadiums, our facilities reflected our position. The contribution from Boone Pickens made us into what we are now not Coach Gundy, without the facilities we would not be close to where we are now. Thank Mike Holder for these improvements. We pay top 25 salary, we have top 25 facilities, we don't recruit like a top 25 team and we don't compete with top 25 teams. That's the issue, I'm not applying for the job, I would be an unknown commodity, Mike Yurcich was an unknown commodity, the names mentioned are not unknown commodities and they're actually realistic choices that fit the mold for an OSU coach.
We are also competing with less of a budget for recruiting as well, so i definetly see the arguement for what you are bringing up, but it is also hard to take the place of one of these blue bloods who have histrorically for the last 50 or so years been a known commodity. But i also believe that we should be getting much better recruiting classes than the mid 40's given the facilities that Mr. Boone graced us with too.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Well, quit your yammering and actually do something.. make some calls, get a petition going, don't buy tickets, send e-mails, whatever it takes. There's at least 50 of you.
you either must be really stupid or live underneath a rock!! Might be both...but if look around you....the frustration is loud as hell right now. Just look at social media and the responses

Oct 30, 2007
So how do you acknowledge the program's regression but not want a new direction? Help me understand this sort of half-way mentality.

Do you believe Gundy could do ANYTHING to warrant dismissal, or is he just coach for life no matter what?
These are the changes I would like to see:
1. Coach Gundy needs to hire an elite offensive coordinator and take a hands-off approach to playcalling.
2. He needs to evaluate his staff and replace any coach that can't consistently win recruiting battles against non-blue blood programs.
3. He needs to find the same fire & passion he had when he was younger. He needs to reengage with his players and put a lot more effort into recruiting.

I consider Coach Gundy to be a very good coach that's made some poor decisions over the past few years. I would support moving forward with him at the helm if he's willing to evolve, but I would support making a change if he refuses to.

I don't see anything changing this year, even if we lose our last 2 games. Coach Holder didn't cut Coach Ford loose until people stopped buying tickets. I'm worried that he'll do the same with Coach Gundy. Hopefully it never comes to that. That would be tough to watch.

Jan 14, 2006
What's your point? I said he would mop the floor because in 2009 he was coaching differently than he does now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I'm not disagreeing with that at all. Just pointing out to those who think our offensive problems are all because of Gundy's involvement (myself included sometimes) that he did engineer some high octane offenses.

Aug 19, 2006
Does anyone really think Gundy will ever beat OU and/or win a Big 12 championship?

I'd like to ask if anyone has any hope because I just don't see a bright future for OSU.
I don't see us "beating" OU anytime soon. Maybe they beat themselves and we back into a win (thank you Stoops) but us beating them in a way that we feel we were the superior team that day?? Don't see it happening with Gundy,

Big 12 championship is irrelevant until we figure out how to beat OU.

Sep 12, 2008
you either must be really stupid or live underneath a rock!! Might be both...but if look around you....the frustration is loud as hell right now. Just look at social media and the responses
Its like listening to the parents on the old Charlie Brown cartoons.. wah wah wah..

I was referring to the 50 that voted in the poll.. keep up.

And seriously if there are so many of you.. do something about it! Take up a petition and send it to Mike Holder.

Jan 1, 2008
I don't see us "beating" OU anytime soon. Maybe they beat themselves and we back into a win (thank you Stoops) but us beating them in a way that we feel we were the superior team that day?? Don't see it happening with Gundy,

Big 12 championship is irrelevant until we figure out how to beat OU.
I still think the re-kick was a Stoops plot to keep Gundy at OSU for another decade. I remember people being very upset with Gundy, but then we beat OU and everyone one was happy. I was not in that group.

This is my conspiracy theory and I am sticking to it

Jun 28, 2018
Little Rock, Arkansas
Gundy is the Jerry Jones of OkState FB. He is done. He shows he has nothing left to give but heart break. Holder needs to step up, gracefully kick him to the curb and get on about a winning legacy. For Gundy to whine, "What else am I gonna do"? First Suggestion: get a job you're good at!

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It's been mentioned in pieces by others but I'll try put it all together. Gundy could make the changes necessary to get things back on track, but he won't and can't this year because of athletic budget problems. He does need to try to compete for high level prospects more often in recruiting. He also needs a new OC in the Holgy or Monken mold, which won't be cheap. The pandemic could extend him a year for budgetary reasons, but it's time to start the transition plan, even if it takes a few years to move on. Rushing it sends a clear signal about expectations vs support (expectations are high and the budget is not relative to most other schools who meet those expectations). Rushing it is also going to be very messy because he is our winningest coach by a wide margin. Gundy IS cowboy football at the moment and has been for a decade. It may be time to move on, but it's going to be a slow process.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Wasn't Leach fired for the whole dark closet abuse thing? I don't think it was related to his record there.
Ehh Kinda.

You're right he wasn't fired for his record.. The actions on Craig James' son was a scapegoat.

The real skinny is the AD and administration did not like Leach or his antics. Could you imagine being that guy's boss? However, because of his success he had and the support of the boosters and fans... Leach had Tech by the short and curlys...

They renegotiated his contract with a 3 year extension the year he was terminated. Apparently the administration was not happy with the way that the negations went down.

Later when the James allegation came out, leach disputed the claim and he had people to support that. Rumor has it that Tech asked him to write a written apology to the James family. (Which would be admitting to a fireable offense). He declined to do that, so they fired him for insubordination the day before he was due $2.5m.

I don't believe the James thing was a set-up, but I think the administration used it advantageously to get rid of a guy that they did not want around.

Fun Fact. Through 6 season leading up to his firing, Tech had not finished in the bottom half of the total conference standings. Since he has been fired, they have not been in the top half of the league.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK

Well, his two wins came from:

1. The best team in the HISTORY of the program
2. The biggest bonehead decision in Bob Stoops' career.

So no, I can't imagine Gundy pulling out another win. And LOL at the idea of winning the B12 again.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Its like listening to the parents on the old Charlie Brown cartoons.. wah wah wah..

I was referring to the 50 that voted in the poll.. keep up.

And seriously if there are so many of you.. do something about it! Take up a petition and send it to Mike Holder.
Any yet you keep on commenting so who's really bothered?? You're the one who keeps replying...you might want to scroll down if you don't like what you see. In terms of taking actions....ticket sells have been slowly declining year by year...I'm expecting a fairly big dip for 2021 season renewals...I hope you're really not this soft in real life!!

Sep 26, 2008
Bob Simmons has the same amount of wins over OU and a much higher percentage than Gundy. I lived through those years too, and for me its not about beating OU I just brought it up because its a fact. I will say that the football team in 99 and 2020 are about the same amount of fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
That offense in 99 was much more entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.