Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Listening to the radio today and at halftime, they said Gundy told them we need to do a better job of running the football. in the 3rd quarter, we ran up the middle on 4 straight 1st down plays and 2 of 4 2nd down plays. The result; 1 first down in 3 possessions as TCU took the lead after being down 2 scores. I'm done with Gundy until he does two things. 1. consider special teams as important as O or D and name a special teams coordinator. 2. Let the offensive coordinator put his own stamp on things with no interference......if Dunn isn't the answer, then hire a big name, not somebody from Division 3 who will just do what Gundy says. Gundy has had almost complete control of the offense for what, 8 years now? Too many teams have figured it out and we need a change. I don't mind Gundy being head coach, but he can't be defacto offensive coordinator any more.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
In my mind the problem continues to be Gundy’s unwillingness to change. Does anyone truly believe we will make a appearance in the Big 12 championship game once in the next five years? Gundy’s not going to change his recruiting or his hiring of assistant coaches!! I’am calling no better than 8 & 4 next year!!!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
After watching “OUR TIME” on ESPN, Gundy sounds like a broken record. He repeats the same speech day in and day out. I understand I don’t see everything but from a high level, Gundy is on cruise control. I cannot blame him if he is ready to move to different ventures; I simply ask OSU to provide a clean amicable exit.
To be truthful, when you are instilling a culture, being repetitive of the mission statements is common. That's what he's been doing with those mantras.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2006
Making a coaching change is risky. Just ask Michigan, Texas, Florida State, Tennessee, etc.

We've gotten comfortable with the success we've had under Gundy. Prior to that, we were mostly mediocre or worse. Bowl eligibility has been a given since HCMG took over.

Unfortunately, he hit his ceiling. We're a middle of the pack B12 team. That's as far as he can get it. We want more. Expect more. But he clearly doesn't have what it takes to build an elite program. Not many do.

Definitely tempting to say it's time to make a change. Would be great to make a homerun hire and see our program take the next step. But for every Dabo Swinney, there are many more Charlie Strongs, Willie Taggarts, Lane Kiffins, etc.

Are you willing to risk sliding back to Bob Simmons era obscurity for a shot at elevating the program to the next level?

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Making a coaching change is risky. Just ask Michigan, Texas, Florida State, Tennessee, etc.

We've gotten comfortable with the success we've had under Gundy. Prior to that, we were mostly mediocre or worse. Bowl eligibility has been a given since HCMG took over.

Unfortunately, he hit his ceiling. We're a middle of the pack B12 team. That's as far as he can get it. We want more. Expect more. But he clearly doesn't have what it takes to build an elite program. Not many do.

Definitely tempting to say it's time to make a change. Would be great to make a homerun hire and see our program take the next step. But for every Dabo Swinney, there are many more Charlie Strongs, Willie Taggarts, Lane Kiffins, etc.

Are you willing to risk sliding back to Bob Simmons era obscurity for a shot at elevating the program to the next level?
I would be up for the risk.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I think a lot has to d

I think a lot of has to do with his control. He had coordinators that were good (holgy, monken) a d they got the fanfare. He has control issues and needs to understand being a ceo. You have to trust the people you hired.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
the only team to score less pts. than we did vs. ou was Kansas and MO State...let that sink in...

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
The next couple of years will be rebuilding years. As someone else pointed out, we got a preview of next year when Tylan went down today. And it was anemic. Do we want Gundy rebuilding or the next head coach? If it’s Gundy, he’d have to whole-heartedly commit to at least 3 more years. 2 for reloading and 1 or 2 to have a slight shot at making the CCG. This forum (me included) couldn’t take that. I know Gundy’s not going anywhere, but he better start producing or this program will have a hard time getting back to relevance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Jamey Chadwell HC of Coastal Carolina is helluva a coach. Congrats on being undefeated. I know OSU won’t make a change but this is a guy who’s going to be a power 5 coach soon.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
so what exactly are you looking at...what do you see in this guy?
Just based on my observation I see the following:
1. A coach who is close to and genuinely cares about his players
2. A coach who stresses academics first
3. A coach who represents his team and university well outside of Tulsa
4. A coach who isn’t complacent and is still focused on winning
5. A coach who wouldn’t come across as content being the #2 or worse team in the state
6. A coach who understands what a diverse offensive scheme is
7. A coach who recruits speed and intensity on defense
8. A coach who can recruit even better athletes without the rigid academic standards of TU
9. A coach who I think would stay longer in Stillwater than many other coaching options, and who would appreciate and embrace the family atmosphere this university provides.

Last edited:

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Hmmmm, let’s see. Just based on my observation I see the following:
1. A coach who is close to and genuinely cares about his players
2. A coach who stresses academics first
3. A coach who represents his team and university well outside of Tulsa
4. A coach who isn’t complacent and is still focused on winning
5. A coach who wouldn’t come across as content being the #2 or worse team in the state
6. A coach who understands what a diverse offensive scheme is
7. A coach who recruits speed and intensity on defense
8. A coach who I think would stay longer in Stillwater than many other coaching options, and who would appreciate and embrace the family atmosphere this university provides.
well, they ain't going after montgomery...sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.