Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
In a word, meh. That is my general attitude towards the program. It's a potential entertainment outlet that is usually boring, often confusing and frustrating, and lately just trends toward exhausting. Just a few years ago I would make plans to avoid gametime in order to watch. Now I only put the game on if I happen to remember and have nothing else to do at the time - even then I typically turn it off after 1 - 2 quarters. It's just not appealing and I know that nothing will change while Gundy is the coach. I also know that the powers that be aren't willing to make the change (budget aside), because they're still jaded from when Miles left for LSU.
Honest question: Did you feel the way you currently do in 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsheposu

Greenhorn
Feb 12, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Why do people always do this? Texas is average blah since 2010, Tennessee has averaged blah since 2010, but OSU has averaged... Wait, no, I'm not going to give you the average..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
People do this because it's not like Texas and Tennessee have turned into KU while trying to get better. Our results the last 3 years are more than likely what we are going to see into the next 10 years if we continue to pull in recruiting classes ranked in the 40's without some innovative coaching. We don't wan't to end up with a 10 year average of 6 wins per year which is why the majority want change. If Gundy can be a CEO and stay out of the coordinators way, I'm all for that but he needs to let the people we are paying do their jobs.

Sep 24, 2011
Grading Gundy is different than any coach we have had in 70 years. Gundy has the support and facilities they could only dream about.

Here is how I grade Gundy. How many coaches out there could do as well with this same support and facilities?

My guess is about 50.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Y'all certainly have every right to disagree with me. I also have the right to call y'all unreasonable, with your downright unrealistic expectations and all. OSU football is a winning program.. OSU has appeared in 14 straight bowl games. OSU has a winning season thus far, and hasn't had a losing season since Gundy's second year. To even suggest we need to move on from Gundy exemplifies the absurdity this board has become. Y'all are downright crazy.

See pic? Do you REALLY think OSU can do better with a different HC? Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo. The moment OSU has a losing season with Gundy at the helm would add justifiable credence for a need to move in another direction. Until then, y'all fly too high above the cuckoo's nest View attachment 87620
So let’s look at the REST of the statistics, shall we? Particularly when you factor in our very hefty cost to achieve these statistics, by what reasonable standard do you conclude we have “unrealistic expectations” for a coach with an overall winning record of 74% (68% over the last 8 years), a bowl winning record of 64%, and a winning record of a whopping 13% against OU? By the way, the last one of those TWO wins was 7 seasons ago.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
CAVEAT: I threw this together pretty quickly.

Much has been made of Gundy’s poor recruiting. I was curious how football compared to other OSU sports. So I did some digging…

Recruiting rankings by sport (OSU 2020 or 2021). In some cases, it was easier to find 2020 data, which is reflected below. I used the standard ranking service according to each sport.

2021 | Men’s baseball - 28
2021 | Women’s softball - 14
2021 | Men’s Golf - 5
2021 | Women’s golf - 13
2020 | Men’s Track and Field (Paywalled)
2020 | Women’s Track and Field (Paywalled)
2020 | Wrestling - 1
2020 | Men’s basketball - 12
2020 | Women’s basketball - (Outside top 25)
2021 | Football - (39 on 247 and 49 on Rivals)

Of those sports where data were available, the average ranking is 12.1. It is unclear how the Track and Field, and Women’s basketball might affect the average. If someone else can find that information, I’d be really curious.

My thoughts:

Much has been made about how provincial and boring Stillwater is. The idea is that big time recruits want to live on the coasts or in big cities. The data do not bear this out.

Football recruiting classes are much larger than other sports. I’ve heard it argued that this explains why we recruit poorly; our budget isn’t large enough given the size of football recruiting classes. This makes sense to me, but I’m not sure it fully explains the large gap between football and other sports.

Curious what other take away…
My BIL is a track and field coach so I asked about rankings. In 2018-19 we not in the top 18. I don’t know why the list stopped at 18 but they did. He said he has not heard of us having big classes but we have had some top recruits individually.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Y'all certainly have every right to disagree with me. I also have the right to call y'all unreasonable, with your downright unrealistic expectations and all. OSU football is a winning program.. OSU has appeared in 14 straight bowl games. OSU has a winning season thus far, and hasn't had a losing season since Gundy's second year. To even suggest we need to move on from Gundy exemplifies the absurdity this board has become. Y'all are downright crazy.

See pic? Do you REALLY think OSU can do better with a different HC? Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo. The moment OSU has a losing season with Gundy at the helm would add justifiable credence for a need to move in another direction. Until then, y'all fly too high above the cuckoo's nest View attachment 87620
This exemplifies that Gundy is a victim of his own success. We are still hungry for more but I think Mike’s full.

Nov 14, 2010
I'll vote after the Baylor game.

Yes it is that big to me.
This is why, in the long term for OSU football, it would actually be better if we lose this game.

It would come much closer to forcing desperately needed changes.

Thats because it would force even loyalists to admit that changes need to be made.

We would be losing a battle to give ourselves a better chance at winning the war.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is why, in the long term for OSU football, it would actually be better if we lose this game.

It would come much closer to forcing desperately needed changes.

Thats because it would force even loyalists to admit that changes need to be made.

We would be losing a battle to give ourselves a better chance at winning the war.
We could go full Michigan and call in with the 'Vid

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Can you imagine if this was 1995 and we were 6-3 and ranked #22? We’d be giving our coach an extension. We’ve come a long way and I like it. We have to keep reaching for the next level.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I find it interesting that any post showing support or faith in our coach is met with harsh criticism, dislikes, throwing out every failure, marginalizing all of his successes. Like it’s not okay to have an opinion that differs from yours.
Oh, it's perfectly fine to have a different opinion on this issue. You're not condemned to hell as a result. It's just that you're wrong, I disagree with you, and I have emoji that I can deploy to express those sentiments :D

Nov 30, 2011
USC has underperformed for years

Well it’s only his second year there, and they’re undefeated. He was at north texas 2016-2018 for his first OC job, and look at the numbers they put up then.. also, his first college job was quality control for the pokes in 09. I say get him back in orange.

Nov 30, 2011
Well it’s only his second year there, and they’re undefeated. He was at north texas 2016-2018 for his first OC job, and look at the numbers they put up then.. also, his first college job was quality control for the pokes in 09. I say get him back in orange.
And USC is at a crossroads with him right now, so at the very least we should get him at OC and send Dunn packing.

Apr 7, 2006
Dunn might be an awful coordinator but this year is not a sample to use to prove anything. You may as well give him a high school offensive line and ask him to call plays.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
It’s not just OSU football that boring though college football is getting hard to watch. Stuck in a sardine can for four hours while the refs have a 10 minute conference over a offsides call is enough to keep people away

Let’s face it, Gundy is getting a hall pass for this season. And next. And probably the year after that. Once the dust settles from the financial effects of COVID and the upcoming grant of rights expiration/conference realignment, he will have to show cause. Otherwise, Holder/Weiburg will be forced to pull the trigger.

That said, I appreciate Gundy for elevating the program in his tenure. We would be in a much worse position if Jones/Simmons and maybe even Miles were still running the ship. I think all parties could use a change at some point in the future.

Pokes15

Greenhorn
Nov 22, 2020
Washington
I have a family member that went through the recruiting process this year. One thing I quickly found out about staffs was the different effort level on recruiting they put forward. Some coaches seemed like they wanted nothing to do with recruiting and others loved it.

After going through that process. I would like to know how many guys Gundy has on staff that love it? How does he feel about where recruiting fits as a priority? I've always felt OSU should be getting consistent top 25 classes based on field results and the facilities on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.