Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Some people believe that Mike Gundy made Oklahoma State football. Some people believe that Boone Picken's money and the facility upgrades made Mike Gundy. I believe the truth falls somewhere in the middle.

Coach Gundy has been better than many people give him credit for. But this job is much better now than many people give it credit for. We have excellent facilities, a top 15 coaching salary, and a top 25 assistant coaching budget. I disagree with Coach Gundy's son when he says we would be nothing without his dad. There are a lot of coaches that could have success here with the infrastructure we have in place now.
His kid really said that? We had players throwing tantrums about t shirts and then changing it to relationship issues with the coach and his kid went public with that? Bad form.

That said, that attitude is everything that is wrong with the current situation. I actually want Gundy to be the guy. But I want the Gundy we started with. Hungry to prove himself and prove his program was legit. I don’t care what it takes to get back to that, it’s a better choice than starting over but he’s got to be willing. I don’t believe he is but I’d love him to prove me wrong.

Oct 30, 2007
To remain objective, I would have liked the year spread to be consistent throughout all categories. It makes it look as if the data is skewed to fit a narrative. 06/07 were included in the prior recruiting rankings as they were our best classes but excluded from win percentage as they were some of our worst years.
I wasn't trying to skew the statistics. I was looking for the point in which each category started regressing. Our improvements in recruiting predated our improvements on the field by a few years. Our decline in recruited predated our decline on the field by a few years. Neither outcome was unexpected.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, our program has been moving in the wrong direction for awhile. We need something to change to shift our course.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Stolen from Twitter. Very apropos.

The Season By Gundy:

JUL - "I'm the most motivated in years"
AUG - "Most talented team yet"
SEP - "Good win, but we have things to work on"
OCT - "We did good, just didn't have a good game plan"
NOV - "It's on me, we've gotten too complacent"

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
Start working on his Statue, he earned it as a player and a Coach, and take the next step toward being an elite team. OSU owes Gundy a great deal of thanks and I would like to see a graceful exit from a still mostly appreciative fanbase. All good things come to an end and extending what is going on now just taints what is still a pretty good legacy and sets it up for an ugly departure. Nothing will happen this year regardless of the Baylor game but next year the seat will be hot as a branding iron. He'll have to have a wildly successful year next year and exceed expectations or he's likely to be ushered out. I'd rather see him leave on his own terms. He's earned that much.......
Build a statue? For what? If you think people make fun of the 1945 champs display, wait until they see a statue of Gundy.

Oct 30, 2007
His kid really said that? We had players throwing tantrums about t shirts and then changing it to relationship issues with the coach and his kid went public with that? Bad form.

That said, that attitude is everything that is wrong with the current situation. I actually want Gundy to be the guy. But I want the Gundy we started with. Hungry to prove himself and prove his program was legit. I don’t care what it takes to get back to that, it’s a better choice than starting over but he’s got to be willing. I don’t believe he is but I’d love him to prove me wrong.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Texas OC. He isn't responsible for the dumpster fire that Herman has created. They are really solid on offense and he was the QB coach at Ohio State last year. At his previous gig he put 1 QB in the NFL and another in the XFL.

Y'all want up and comers. I give you example no. 1

Aug 16, 2012
I wasn't trying to skew the statistics. I was looking for the point in which each category started regressing. Our improvements in recruiting predated our improvements on the field by a few years. Our decline in recruited predated our decline on the field by a few years. Neither outcome was unexpected.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, our program has been moving in the wrong direction for awhile. We need something to change to shift our course.
I caught that distinction and see the need for representation like you did it. To be frank, I am tired of comparisons/lumping in of pre-2010 Gundy. He is different now and the program is different now. We have to address what has developed in recent years.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Can’t fault the young man for sticking up for his dad. There are a lot of jackasses on Twitter that say very unsavory things. It’s got to be frustrating. We all agree here that Gundy has been good for OSU. We just want something better for OUR program. If Mike can’t produce it, then we should find the leader that will. We’re all invested here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Texas OC. He isn't responsible for the dumpster fire that Herman has created. They are really solid on offense and he was the QB coach at Ohio State last year. At his previous gig he put 1 QB in the NFL and another in the XFL.

Y'all want up and comers. I give you example no. 1
Yeah. Those two are where they are because of Yurcich.

MmmmmmmNo

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Can’t fault the young man for sticking up for his dad. There are a lot of jackasses on Twitter that say very unsavory things. It’s got to be frustrating. We all agree here that Gundy has been good for OSU. We just want something better for OUR program. If Mike can’t produce it, then we should find the leader that will. We’re all invested here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get breaking points, as well as anyone. This is a bad look for the school. Plain and simple. Recruits are all over Twitter. The fact that it’s still going on with multiple tweets/posts on multiple platforms would tell me Dad knows and hasn’t told him to stop. Thus allowing bad look to continue. That’s not good either. If my staff’s kid was doing that with executive level personnel, a call would be made and it would stop assuming they didn’t handle it right first.

I could be a total douche and say that I don’t care what an Arkansas grad living in Austin thinks about Oklahoma State but I won’t do it on Twitter because of your point above. That would be a jackass thing to do. :D

Last edited:

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I think you hit the nail squarely in your answer. Games should be about having fun. To me, even division I football, should be about having fun as a team. We used to have lots of fun. I sit right behind the team for 25 years now. (Holy crap). Even in winning, the kids are pretty stoic.
I too, have lost my emotions for the game, it doesn’t bother me like I used to let it. Or maybe emotions just tamper downward with age. Regardless, fun is missing biggly.
Its boring.....look at tech game when we went up 50-31 with 9:44 to go. Or every other game going back to Cornholio’s opus.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I caught that distinction and see the need for representation like you did it. To be frank, I am tired of comparisons/lumping in of pre-2010 Gundy. He is different now and the program is different now. We have to address what has developed in recent years.
What has developed in recent years? Are you talking about when we had one of the best paid coaching staffs in the country because Gundy shared?

Status
Not open for further replies.