Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I've said the same thing many times, but the years that are really carrying those numbers are getting a little further in the rear view mirror all the time. Never even being in the championship game in a 10 team conference is pretty mediocre.
That’s a little misleading considering we have only had 3 CCGs in the last 10 years. In several seasons, we would have been in the CCG if it existed. Not saying we have not been mediocre the last few years but I think you’ve got a recency bias.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
That’s a little misleading considering we have only had 3 CCGs in the last 10 years. In several seasons, we would have been in the CCG if it existed. Not saying we have not been mediocre the last few years but I think you’ve got a recency bias.
Lol. Considering 2011 as recent is recency bias.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
True, kinda. We can go ahead and say 4 since we know we are out this year too. Recency bias is kind of the the name of the game in things like judging coaches.
I haven't lost sight of the fact Gundy has won a lot of games, but he needs another really good year one of these seasons and I thought this was the one.

Aug 16, 2012
... Gundy is ranked 26th in terms of pay. OSU is ranked 15th in the country in wins over the last decade.... but go on with your narrative...
Not to sound like Janet Jackson, but 10 years ago? Meh. What about the past 3-4 years. Still might be up there, but sure does not feel like it.

Aug 16, 2012
Just some numbers. In Gundy's 15 years, we have finished the season unranked 7 times and finished in the top 15 just four times, judge that however you want. If we finish unranked this season that will be exactly half of his seasons being unranked (and 3 straight).

On the flip side, we have had six 10 win seasons which is impressive, I've compared a 10 win season to a sweet sixteen in basketball. Can we get back to that level under Gundy. Can we get there with somebody else. I don't know the answer to either question.
Do not get me wrong, I like 10-win seasons, but when there are 13 games now....that is three losses that would most likely be the ones that vault you to conference championship games, NY6 bowl games, etc. Seeing as how three of the wins usually involve G5 teams or even lower and beating the bottom half of the conference adds five more, that is just two "quality" wins a year to reach that threshold.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Start working on his Statue, he earned it as a player and a Coach, and take the next step toward being an elite team. OSU owes Gundy a great deal of thanks and I would like to see a graceful exit from a still mostly appreciative fanbase. All good things come to an end and extending what is going on now just taints what is still a pretty good legacy and sets it up for an ugly departure. Nothing will happen this year regardless of the Baylor game but next year the seat will be hot as a branding iron. He'll have to have a wildly successful year next year and exceed expectations or he's likely to be ushered out. I'd rather see him leave on his own terms. He's earned that much.......

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
When you take more than $1,000,000 to coach a game you have expectations placed on you. One championship in 15 years is unacceptable. Bring in Mr Freeze and let's get after it.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don’t think it has anything to do with strength and conditioning, I believe coach Glass is one of the best in the business, I think it has more to do with the fact that we don’t tackle or go live in practice.

Why is it that our best players always get hurt at the end of the year? Gundy thinks we will get hurt in practice if we tackle but how many of our players get hurt in practice anyway?
I agree with this, if you want to know why we get beat on the O-Line this is the reason. I would say the number of injuries that occur in practice are actually non-contact. I come from the school of you practice like you play and it prepares your body for competition. I would almost bet that you can go to the time we implemented the thud practices to the time our O-Line started to look weak. Iron sharpens iron, lead dulls iron.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I was thinking watching the TCU game that our offense consists mainly of 3 plays:
Hand off up the middle
WR screen to the sideline
Deep ball, usually down the sideline.

I would like to know what percentage of total plays the last two years were those three. Maybe it's confirmation bias but I would bet it's over 50%.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I was thinking watching the TCU game that our offense consists mainly of 3 plays:
Hand off up the middle

I would like to know what percentage of total plays the last two years were those three. Maybe it's confirmation bias but I would bet it's over 50%.
I think you could go back something like 8 years and find that this has been our offense.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
No chuba, no wallace, no sterling, no OL, no kicker no LD. We dont have much talent left to be better than our record.
it goes back to recruiting and roster management. How many players left the team ,kicked off, etc. If you recruited them here and signed them its not all on the kids if they leave. Why haven’t you recruited and developed depth? Its not like tons of guys are going 3 and out to the NFL.

Aug 16, 2012
Funny how different threads keep popping up to have the same arguments over and over.

Which BTW, I really miss the funny social media/political cartoons thread that got yanked a couple months ago because it turned into a political blood bath.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Nothing works if you cant block, as I said last week, TTU has a crap DL so we were able to survive, TCU has a legit front seven and we didn’t have a chance with the OL we rolled out there. Spencer and Tylan kept us in it, but when Tylan and sterling went out it was over.
When the defense knows exactly what's coming on every down, it makes the OL's job much harder. We are so predictable, the defense can pin their ears back. That's what I don't get. If we actually had some creative play calling, that would make the OL's job much easier.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Hand off up the middle

I would love to see these #'s, but I assume it would take several hours worth of research unless someone has that type of info compiled somewhere.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
When the defense knows exactly what's coming on every down, it makes the OL's job much harder. We are so predictable, the defense can pin their ears back. That's what I don't get. If we actually had some creative play calling, that would make the OL's job much easier.
What is this "creative play calling" you speak of?? So not up the gut and go routes or the 3 wr screens to the short side of the field that gained a total of like 5 yards?? You crazy man!

Sep 22, 2011
I think you are seeing what you want to see. Are there head scratching play calls? yes. but to say that the defense knows what is coming is pretty silly, we have too much success for that to be the case. Most people hate "running up the gut" when it doesn't work, and say things like "the defense knew it was coming" or "why are we running into a stacked box. When typically the play should have worked but a lineman gets beat or misses the linebacker undercutting.

If we are looking at the TCU loss it came down to a few things IMO, Spencer had some really bad throws, we could not block 30 the whole day in the run game and wallace getting hurt really killed us. OU we just did not have the athletes to compete with all of our injuries and Texas we handed the game to them on a silver platter with the turnovers and special teams play. the rest of this season is honestly a story of dealing with adversity and the kids fighting through and beating a lot of good teams with a very depleted roster and a lot of walking wounded.

but snore me if you want, I think we would have a very difficult time finding someone better for the program than Gundy, and I cant grad Dunn on this season because of all the injuries we have dealt with this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.