Gundy/HC threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

The Gundy/HC thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
The football program is a shambles, having lost all momentum and positive direction, and most people want Gundy's head on a pike. No matter what, it will always be a shame to fire your winningest coach in disgrace, even if he is a disgrace. Saving face here is best for everyone.

We need a transition plan to new leadership. I'd like to see Todd Monken or someone else on the rise in the Cowboy family come in as OC and HC in Waiting for one or two years and then take over the reigns. Gundy could potentially be AD or an Assistant AD as that department is also transitioning to a post-Holder Era.

OSU needs to put Gundy on a short leash to create a spark or offer to do it for him.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
It has to be someone who's already well-respected in Stillwater, or else Gundy will walk all over them.

We need a 5-10 year professional, not another HC for Life.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The primary thing that needs to happen is we need to cancel the automatic renewal in Coach Gundy's contract. That would put pressure on him to make changes, move on, or retire. I'm not sure what would happen, but at least something would eventually change.

Sep 2, 2007
After watching “OUR TIME” on ESPN, Gundy sounds like a broken record. He repeats the same speech day in and day out. I understand I don’t see everything but from a high level, Gundy is on cruise control. I cannot blame him if he is ready to move to different ventures; I simply ask OSU to provide a clean amicable exit.

Nov 6, 2010
The primary thing that needs to happen is we need to cancel the automatic renewal in Coach Gundy's contract. That would put pressure on him to make changes, move on, or retire. I'm not sure what would happen, but at least something would eventually change.
Agree with this, but we had better have a plan in place for whatever eventuality.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
After watching “OUR TIME” on ESPN, Gundy sounds like a broken record. He repeats the same speech day in and day out. I understand I don’t see everything but from a high level, Gundy is on cruise control. I cannot blame him if he is ready to move to different ventures; I simply ask OSU to provide a clean amicable exit.
Yes and no. This football program is bigger than one person and doesn't owe Gundy anything. Like I said in my first post, saving face would be great for everyone, but this football program is not Gundy's personal piggy.

The way I see the current state of the Big 12 is that Stoops used to work hard to own Gundy, now his retirement/transition plan does all the work for him. K-State arguably navigated an even more perilous transition well and Chris Klieman is the perfect guy to carry Bill Snyder's work forward.

The key to long-term success in the Big 12 is to build a culture that transcends coaching staff transitions, not clinging to one guy for life.

Also look at Wisconsin. Different guys, same team.

We have a toxic culture in the football program today. One guy for 17 years who nobody can challenge. Endemic mediocrity. No spark. No inspiration. Low standards.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2007
I’ve got it!! OSU Football to be the first program to adopt AI as a Head Coach! Coach Watson! IBM can update our facilities. Just think of the overall savings too!

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Agree with this, but we had better have a plan in place for whatever eventuality.
I would love to see us bring in a young hotshot OC like Lincoln Riley to become the future of the program, but I'm not sure who that would be. Todd Monken is older than Coach Gundy and we can't afford to beat the $1.1 million salary he's making at Georgia.

We're probably just going to have to go out and hire the best coach possible whenever a change is made.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
^^^THIS. Said the same in the game thread. If not for on-field results, COVID is the built in excuse. It HAS to be THIS year.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
It doesn't seem very intellectually honest to use COVID as an excuse. Back when there was optimism for this season, Gundy was downplaying COVID every chance he got and most fans just desperately wanted to salvage a 2020 season due to the expectations around this team.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It doesn't seem very intellectually honest to use COVID as an excuse. Back when there was optimism for this season, Gundy was downplaying COVID every chance he got and most fans just desperately wanted to salvage a 2020 season due to the expectations around this team.
Not to mention that every other team is dealing with the exact same issues. It's a perfectly level playing field.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Not to mention that every other team is dealing with the exact same issues. It's a perfectly level playing field.
Well actually nearly every other team has been hit worse than us by COVID. OU nearly had to cancel Bedlam... bet they're glad they fielded whatever they could

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
The thing is that if we make a change while tickets are still sellable, we can keep the semblance of culture together through a coaching change.

If we wait for fans to quit, we'll either be waiting a very long time or way too late to restore any momentum this program has had recently.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Well, Gundy’s not wrong. Our offense isn’t good at rushing or passing. I guess that leaves our D to try and out score opponents. They gave it a great effort today. Either Gundy doesn’t want to put in the work or he’s just not smart enough to make adjustments for the talent we have available. Where’s Here Comes Bullets when we need him. He seems to know more about a game plan than our $$$$HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
If Gundy wants to show the ultimate in loyal and true, he would step away...that would show his true loyalty to OSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.