Gun/ammunition sales

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I’m not a gun nut by any means but just now finding out how ridiculously hard it is to get ammo right now. All I’m needing is some .22 to shoot some armadillos and the wife is wanting to shoot some clay pigeons. Walk into the store and the shelves are clean. What is going on?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Normally I would agree, but the 22 shells have been disappearing for the past two months. My son works at a distributor and he says they can't find them. One of the guys he works with went to a farm supply store a few weeks ago and was shocked when he found four boxes of 22 shells.

Aug 16, 2012
As much as I want to blame the left, it is the right that is causing this. There are four primary ammunition manufacturers right now with one, Remington, hobbled by bankruptcy proceedings. Regardless, every manufacturer is producing ammo at unprecedented non-wartime levels. Problem with ammo is the same as it was with toilet paper.... hoarding by end users. People who used to buy a box here and there are now buying thousands of dollars at a time.

American Rifleman has a good article here that is only a month old.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/12/15/the-keefe-report-wheres-all-the-ammo/

Funny that half the idiots complaining in the comments are the ones advocating buying as much as you can whenever you can.

I bought a Walther PPQ for Christmas and my wife a Ruger SR22. Bought them at the Fort Worth gun show and picked up a box of ammo for each. Cannot even take them to the range yet because we cannot find any more ammo via conventional routes and every online dealer had been out since Christmas. And their prices? Ludicrous. Paid 76 cents/round for the 9mm and 15 cents each for the 22LR.

My recommendation is to hit gun shows. Or as stated above, wait it out and hopefully idiots will stop buying like there is no tomorrow

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
It’s not only guns. Just talked to a farmer friend of mine. He started having his wheat ground into flour and sold as a niche market. His sales are through the roof and having a hard time keeping up.

Want to get some beef butchered? Good luck until 2022.

Jan 14, 2006
It’s not only guns. Just talked to a farmer friend of mine. He started having his wheat ground into flour and sold as a niche market. His sales are through the roof and having a hard time keeping up.

Want to get some beef butchered? Good luck until 2022.
Tell me more about the beef situation. I usually process my own deer but I took one quartered to a local butcher and still don't have it back. When I called to check on it they just said that it was a crazy year and they were way behind. Curious if it's industry wide and if there's any reason other than covid.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Calibers I own:
22lr
9mm
45acp
30-30

Calibers I have bought ammo for and shot in the past ~4 years:

Yup. It’s that bad. Either I don’t have time to get to the range... OR I’m to scared to use up ammo to go to the range. Gone are the days of (on a whim) “hey, let’s go throw some lead down range today.” Unless you reload, it has to be planned months in advance.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Tell me more about the beef situation. I usually process my own deer but I took one quartered to a local butcher and still don't have it back. When I called to check on it they just said that it was a crazy year and they were way behind. Curious if it's industry wide and if there's any reason other than covid.
It started back in the spring when many of the large packing plants shut down due to COVID.

A lot of producers tried to move what animals they could through smaller private packers because thr supply lines were so jammed up. I haven't checked lately but when I looked into it last summer it was a 6-8 month wait list to get anything through.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yeah if you just noticed the ammo shortage then u haven't been paying attention.

It has been VERY hard to find ammo for years now.

I finally found some ,.45 at a pawn shop of all places about 6 months ago
For sure. I'm just amazed at the appetite for it nationwide. You would expect it to eventually hit a saturation point...right? Are there really THAT many people stockpiling ammo right now, and where are they keeping it all?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Its everywhere, you can't get a butcher hook until March 2022

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
This has nothing to do with the left or Biden. This has been going on for the vast majority of 2020 if not longer, I’ve been struggling to find ammo in stores for so long that I don’t even try anymore. I just go online and buy it

Aug 16, 2012
Calibers I own:
22lr
9mm
45acp
30-30

Calibers I have bought ammo for and shot in the past ~4 years:

Yup. It’s that bad. Either I don’t have time to get to the range... OR I’m to scared to use up ammo to go to the range. Gone are the days of (on a whim) “hey, let’s go throw some lead down range today.” Unless you reload, it has to be planned months in advance.
Let me take a shot (pun sort of intended)
A Woodsman
A Glock
A 1911
A hunting rifle
And your fun gun

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
For sure. I'm just amazed at the appetite for it nationwide. You would expect it to eventually hit a saturation point...right? Are there really THAT many people stockpiling ammo right now, and where are they keeping it all?
That's what I always think. Every election is "the last chance to buy..." something about guns that the marketing crowd is using the election to drum up business. I just keep thinking somewhere along the way all the people who are concerned about this have to be pretty stocked up.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I was looking to buy a couple handguns about a year ago. Called a friend who has a lot of experience for some recommendations, mainly what I should get for my wife (was getting one for myself, as well). His advice: "buy whatever ammo you can find first, then buy a gun to match."

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I havent been in the market in a while, but this sucks. I remember the post-sandy hook shortage. it was miserable. after that drought ended, I stocked up when prices came back to a relative normal so now I am not even looking. Crazy.

That said, I was looking at getting a ruger 5.7 because it is cool. but that ammo was hard (and expensive) to get even before...