Graphics card problem

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I have an EVGA GT 710 2GB DDR3 64bit Single Slot, Dual DVI 02G-P3-2717-KR card in my computer with two monitors attached, one by HDMI and one by DVI. It seizes up from time to time with both monitors going black and my having to shut the computer down and restart it to get it back up. I thought maybe it was from time to time trying to draw too much power so I put a larger power supply in which is rated more than the card supposedly needs. Didn't happen for a while, now it's happening again. I don't have a huge need for graphics, so I don't want to spend a ton. Suggestions?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I have an EVGA GT 710 2GB DDR3 64bit Single Slot, Dual DVI 02G-P3-2717-KR card in my computer with two monitors attached, one by HDMI and one by DVI. It seizes up from time to time with both monitors going black and my having to shut the computer down and restart it to get it back up. I thought maybe it was from time to time trying to draw too much power so I put a larger power supply in which is rated more than the card supposedly needs. Didn't happen for a while, now it's happening again. I don't have a huge need for graphics, so I don't want to spend a ton. Suggestions?
you picked the wrong time to have graphics issues. Huge GPU shortage compounded by cryptocurrency mining being profitable again.

1) update drivers if possible. or alternatively, uninstall all related gfx drivers, and reinstall clean. (google around, there many tutorials).
2) if the gfx card has dust build up, blow it out with compressed air.

whatever you do, don't break the card right now. It is damn near impossible to get ANY GPU at a reasonable price, you racist.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
you picked the wrong time to have graphics issues. Huge GPU shortage compounded by cryptocurrency mining being profitable again.

1) update drivers if possible. or alternatively, uninstall all related gfx drivers, and reinstall clean. (google around, there many tutorials).
2) if the gfx card has dust build up, blow it out with compressed air.

whatever you do, don't break the card right now. It is damn near impossible to get ANY GPU at a reasonable price, you racist.
Yeah, I've noticed the prices have shot up on Amazon. Sheez.

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gt-710-gt-710-2gd3h-lp/p/N82E16814127933

Same chipset as you have now, only $70.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Pretty much what @sc5mu93 said. Right now, graphics cards are scarce as hell. Your card is old enough to not be as affected, so a roughly equivalent replacement shouldn't be too bad.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In these situations is it seizing up specifically when you are in the middle of the game and taxing the graphics card? Because of Windows it can be several other options. There are driver issues, there could be hard drive issues, one of the biggest flaws could be an intermittent issue with memory management so test your memory with a good RAM testing software, or even overheating of the CPU thus needing to check your cooling situation and such.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
In these situations is it seizing up specifically when you are in the middle of the game and taxing the graphics card? Because of Windows it can be several other options. There are driver issues, there could be hard drive issues, one of the biggest flaws could be an intermittent issue with memory management so test your memory with a good RAM testing software, or even overheating of the CPU thus needing to check your cooling situation and such.

It is almost always when I'm doing Zoom.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Yup its a driver issue. I wish they would make it easier for people to keep up to date with their drivers. Download driver booster from iobit (really only need the free version). Run it and update all the old drivers you have. Also input your nvidia card into the drop downs and download the newest driver for your card. When installing just select "express install".
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Locked up again, again during a zoom session. Maybe it's Zoom.
you may be onto something. im getting audio issues on Zoom. after a period in a zoom presentation, i start to get a crackle with my headset, and then the audio totally drops.

other audio apps like youtube work fine.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Locked up again, again during a zoom session. Maybe it's Zoom.
you may be onto something. im getting audio issues on Zoom. after a period in a zoom presentation, i start to get a crackle with my headset, and then the audio totally drops.

other audio apps like youtube work fine.
To be honest if you really want to know if it's your graphics card, download a free trial of a slightly 3Dish game. That will push it pretty good. Or you could download one of the benchmark utilities.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Update: no matter what I did the video card kept crashing. So, I bought another video card. It crashed too. So, I swapped slots with the video card and SoundBlaster card. The SB card crashed and the video card didn't. Looks like I have a bad slot. Any ideas other than buying a new computer?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Update: no matter what I did the video card kept crashing. So, I bought another video card. It crashed too. So, I swapped slots with the video card and SoundBlaster card. The SB card crashed and the video card didn't. Looks like I have a bad slot. Any ideas other than buying a new computer?
I would buy a new motherboard, depending on the cost, etc. What is your setup right now?

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Refurbished Dell Precision T3610 Workstation
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
32 gb ram
So you are running with an old sandybridge server..haha nice. You need a motherboard with a FCLGA2011 socket for your CPU, it looks like motherboards that have that chipset run about $130 on ebay.

Keep in mind that replacing a motherboard takes a few hours, as you are essentially breaking down and reassembling your entire computer. It can be fun, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Refurbished Dell Precision T3610 Workstation
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
32 gb ram
So you are running with an old sandybridge server..haha nice. You need a motherboard with a FCLGA2011 socket for your CPU, it looks like motherboards that have that chipset run about $130 on ebay.

Keep in mind that replacing a motherboard takes a few hours, as you are essentially breaking down and reassembling your entire computer. It can be fun, but its not everyone's cup of tea.
I now have an old ivy bridge server.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk