GOP truly has become a parody of themselves

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If any educator thinks the new law in any way prohibits or limits teaching history, then that educator is either extremely misinformed or was teaching history in a very odd way..
So all of this is on the teachers ? Tulsa and Mustang Public Schools downgraded their accreditation because their teachers are misinformed ?

It's the interpretation of the law that could make teachers choose not to teach pieces of history for fear it could result in a violation.

Tulsa and Mustang Public Schools already received a downgrade in accreditation because of the rule.

According to an article from the Oklahoman, a Dewey teacher is now choosing not to assign "Killers of the Flower Moon" because of the bill.

“This isn’t about hanging their head in shame, this is about knowing what happened," said Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr.

We spoke to Hoskin Jr. about the impact this could have in a state where its own history is riddled with atrocities performed against Native people.

“I think if any point in history needs to be examined critically, it is how the federal government, how the United States has dealt with Indian tribes, young people need to know this," said Hoskin Jr.

Hoskin Jr. reiterated multiple times during the interview how important learning the history -- the full history is – even if it’s uncomfortable.

“If we have some state senator who’s clutching his pearls over the Trail of Tears for example, maybe making somebody feel bad. People oughta feel bad about that, they oughta understand it and go forward and say we can always be a better country if we learn from our own mistakes," said Hoskin Jr.

If this history can’t be taught in schools or if schools are shying away from it for fear of being reprimanded, the Cherokee and other tribal nations will try to fill in the gaps.

“We are doing all we can to spread the knowledge of Cherokee history and culture not just to our own people but to all people," said Hoskin Jr.

At this point, a school has not been punished for teaching Native American history.

When NewsChannel 8 spoke to the president of the TCTA, she said teachers have said they’re scared of what could happen to them and their district.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
So all of this is on the teachers ? Tulsa and Mustang Public Schools downgraded their accreditation because their teachers are misinformed ?

It's the interpretation of the law that could make teachers choose not to teach pieces of history for fear it could result in a violation.

Tulsa and Mustang Public Schools already received a downgrade in accreditation because of the rule.

According to an article from the Oklahoman, a Dewey teacher is now choosing not to assign "Killers of the Flower Moon" because of the bill.

“This isn’t about hanging their head in shame, this is about knowing what happened," said Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr.

We spoke to Hoskin Jr. about the impact this could have in a state where its own history is riddled with atrocities performed against Native people.

“I think if any point in history needs to be examined critically, it is how the federal government, how the United States has dealt with Indian tribes, young people need to know this," said Hoskin Jr.

Hoskin Jr. reiterated multiple times during the interview how important learning the history -- the full history is – even if it’s uncomfortable.

“If we have some state senator who’s clutching his pearls over the Trail of Tears for example, maybe making somebody feel bad. People oughta feel bad about that, they oughta understand it and go forward and say we can always be a better country if we learn from our own mistakes," said Hoskin Jr.

If this history can’t be taught in schools or if schools are shying away from it for fear of being reprimanded, the Cherokee and other tribal nations will try to fill in the gaps.

“We are doing all we can to spread the knowledge of Cherokee history and culture not just to our own people but to all people," said Hoskin Jr.

At this point, a school has not been punished for teaching Native American history.

When NewsChannel 8 spoke to the president of the TCTA, she said teachers have said they’re scared of what could happen to them and their district.
It is on the districts to inform the teachers. I just attended a very short PD workshop about this from a school district. The law should have absolutely ZERO effect on teaching and curriculum.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It is on the districts to inform the teachers. I just attended a very short PD workshop about this from a school district. The law should have absolutely ZERO effect on teaching and curriculum.
What school district was that? It seems easy to imagine that some districts will push forward teaching even controversial or challenging parts of history while others might fear lawsuits and take an overly cautious approach.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Liz Cheney: Trump critic blasts Republican 'personality cult' after defeat bbc

"I think the Republican Party today is in very bad shape," Ms Cheney told the Today programme on NBC. "The party... embraced Donald Trump [and] embraced his cult of personality."
Ms Cheney won her primary in 2020 by a wide margin, and she told the programme that she believed she would have been successful once again had she repeated Mr Trump's unfounded claims of voter fraud.
"That path would have required that I accept, that I embrace, that I perpetuate the Big Lie," she said.

Mr Trump earlier congratulated Ms Hageman on her victory in a post on his social media platform, Truth Social.
"Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words and actions towards others," he wrote. "Now she can finally disappear into the depths of political oblivion."

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Liz Cheney: Trump critic blasts Republican 'personality cult' after defeat bbc

"I think the Republican Party today is in very bad shape," Ms Cheney told the Today programme on NBC. "The party... embraced Donald Trump [and] embraced his cult of personality."
Ms Cheney won her primary in 2020 by a wide margin, and she told the programme that she believed she would have been successful once again had she repeated Mr Trump's unfounded claims of voter fraud.
"That path would have required that I accept, that I embrace, that I perpetuate the Big Lie," she said.

Mr Trump earlier congratulated Ms Hageman on her victory in a post on his social media platform, Truth Social.
"Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words and actions towards others," he wrote. "Now she can finally disappear into the depths of political oblivion."
Trump needs to stop making me respect Liz Cheney. One of the worst things he's done.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
We all hoped you would do the same, yet here we are...

Nov 18, 2011
Liz can now go join the pedophiles at the Lincoln project and their agenda against anything Republican and their obsessions with Trump. It was good to see Wyoming throw the media’s darling out in a major way.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/1559716846248419328?s=21&t=wmQB9FwkGJ2YveGoHO6Zaw
Life comes at you fast. It wasn't that long ago Tulsi was one of my favorite politicians and Liz could kick rocks. Now she's someone who is trying to save the country and a potential foreign asset is kicking sand on her political grave.

I give one credit for sticking to her guns no matter the cost and am disappointed at the other for being a sellout.