GOP truly has become a parody of themselves

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I'm not surprised at all someone would come up with this bill. What really stands out to me though is that there's no oversight whatsoever. No process for review, validation or anything. Just "I think this book is about sex, remove it!", "OK". How is there not some type of system laid out to actually review the complaint and determine if it has any merit to it? There's nothing in this bill that allows the school to actually determine if the book meets the requirements or not. They're just required to pull it off the shelf based on a parent complaint, as valid or invalid as it might be.

What I'm getting at, is that it looks like it's written by someone that thinks they're a congress-person or a middle/high school assignment or something. It doesn't look like it was written with any thought to how it would actually work.
That's why I say the lack of oversight or review before removal is the "crux" of the bill.

I have little to no doubt that it was written in such a manner deliberately.

That's also why I say it actually applies to "any book". Because if the parent "believes" it meets the definition of subsection A...rational or justifiable or not...the way the statute is written, the books going or the employee faces termination and the district faces a lawsuit with completely unreasonable, inappropriate, statutory damages of $10,000 a day.

No rational employee or rational administration is going to risk termination or statutory damages of $360,000 a year to keep a book on the shelfs when some snowflake parent requests removal.

It's a de facto book banning by request of any parent statute.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
well now QAnon is backing Greene in some new weird conspiracy she threw out today in her new fight with fellow GOP Dan Crenshaw. She is blaming Crenshaw of being a friend of Tech giants of the Global Elites and is saying that is why she got kicked off Twitter.

She MUST be victim for her entire schtick to work (much like Trump).....yeah MTG it was those Global Elites and Dan Crenshaw that got you kicked off Twitter....and had nothing to do with the fact you are batsh** crazy with the crap you are posting.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
That's why I say the lack of oversight or review before removal is the "crux" of the bill.

I have little to no doubt that it was written in such a manner deliberately.

That's also why I say it actually applies to "any book". Because if the parent "believes" it meets the definition of subsection A...rational or justifiable or not...the way the statute is written, the books going or the employee faces termination and the district faces a lawsuit with completely unreasonable, inappropriate, statutory damages of $10,000 a day.

No rational employee or rational administration is going to risk termination or statutory damages of $360,000 a year to keep a book on the shelfs when some snowflake parent requests removal.

It's a de facto book banning by request of any parent statute.
It's almost like they wrote it to show their constituents "Look what I'm trying to do!" while knowing there's no way it can actually get through... Huh... Imagine that...

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
well now QAnon is backing Greene in some new weird conspiracy she threw out today in her new fight with fellow GOP Dan Crenshaw. She is blaming Crenshaw of being a friend of Tech giants of the Global Elites and is saying that is why she got kicked off Twitter.

She MUST be victim for her entire schtick to work (much like Trump).....yeah MTG it was those Global Elites and Dan Crenshaw that got you kicked off Twitter....and had nothing to do with the fact you are batsh** crazy with the crap you are posting.

No one is ever 'loyal' enough to the fringe on both sides. Biden's getting hammered from the far left on student loans and Dan freaking Crenshaw, conservative real life war hero, isn't conservative enough. This is where we are, I guess.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
It's almost like they wrote it to show their constituents "Look what I'm trying to do!" while knowing there's no way it can actually get through... Huh... Imagine that...
Except after having worked with the Oklahoma legislature for my prior employer for almost 20 years, I wouldn't bet my house on there being "no way it can actually get through". I've seen crazier things happen.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
He and his wife have turned themselves in to the Midwest City Jail for processing. He resigned and then blamed his 2020 Democratic election challenger for publicizing what he did that has landed him and his wife in this mess.

HINT: If someone publicizing something you did that was wrong and you are now starting to be held accountable for it....how is their fault ??

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Seems like it should say any citizen with standing
The bill is designed to give all individuals in Oklahoma standing. Based upon the statement of the sponsor of the bill, it’s not even restricted to citizens.

According to Roberts' statement, the bill would allow any individual in the state to sue doctors who perform an abortion. Roberts says that plaintiffs would be able to seek up to $10,000 in damages in a civil court against the abortion providers and anyone who "aids and abets" an illegal abortion.

Last edited: