Good night for Mason.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
he threw some darts in the 2nd half that were definitely NFL QB calibre. a couple of his deep balls were overthrows, but Mustang Poke is right...... after the way he started, it shows some character to come back out in the 2nd half and do as well as he did. would not have been a good look for him to lose to the dolphins............

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I have watched a fair amount of NFL football in the last 50 years. Most good QB's will overthrow a few deep passes. Sometimes, it's because the defender holds up the receiver, either with good position, or with a little judicial grabbing and bumping. But the color commentary guy last night seemed to find a problem with Rudolph's passes on EVERY COMPLETION!!!

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I have watched a fair amount of NFL football in the last 50 years. Most good QB's will overthrow a few deep passes. Sometimes, it's because the defender holds up the receiver, either with good position, or with a little judicial grabbing and bumping. But the color commentary guy last night seemed to find a problem with Rudolph's passes on EVERY COMPLETION!!!
He was trying to blame the near second interception on him when the ball clearly bounced off both of JW's hands.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
he threw some darts in the 2nd half that were definitely NFL QB calibre. a couple of his deep balls were overthrows, but Mustang Poke is right...... after the way he started, it shows some character to come back out in the 2nd half and do as well as he did. would not have been a good look for him to lose to the dolphins............
I didn't get to see the second half, but the first half was pretty bad. I was glad they left him in there and that he fought through the early struggles. The Dolphins were blitzing a fair amount, so it was weird that the Steelers were so intent on running longer routes so often. He was having to hold the ball for so long on each dropback, and it just wasn't working. Some quick slants and curls would have really helped a few times, it seems. Glad they got on track in the second half!

On a related note - I really hope JW figures out his NFL game. Looks like its all mental with him. I think if he can establish some confidence this season, he'll be a solid WR, but right now he just drops so many passes. His blocking alone might keep him in the starting lineup though!

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
I didn't get to see the second half, but the first half was pretty bad. I was glad they left him in there and that he fought through the early struggles. The Dolphins were blitzing a fair amount, so it was weird that the Steelers were so intent on running longer routes so often. He was having to hold the ball for so long on each dropback, and it just wasn't working. Some quick slants and curls would have really helped a few times, it seems. Glad they got on track in the second half!

On a related note - I really hope JW figures out his NFL game. Looks like its all mental with him. I think if he can establish some confidence this season, he'll be a solid WR, but right now he just drops so many passes. His blocking alone might keep him in the starting lineup though!
At the end of the first half he had a monster block that allowed Dionte Johnson to score a TD

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
At the end of the first half he had a monster block that allowed Dionte Johnson to score a TD
He got two guys on that play. You could tell Johnson was about to go out of bounds or just call it good with the long gain, then he saw the blocking open up and he went for paydirt. That plays stops at the 20 yard line or so without JW's blocks. Awesome effort on his part.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I was concerned at first. Mason was really off on his throws. He looked pensive. He looked like he had lost confidence in himself. Even Tomlin seemed to have that look like, "Hmm...he may not be ready.", but he stayed with Mason and gave some big props after the game.

Mason came alive and seemed to regain everything he had a few weeks ago. He did have some awesome catches by his receivers that really made everyone look better -- Mason, the team, the coaches....everyone.

After the game, Mason gave great props to everyone on the team, especially his old college teammate, James Washington, for his blocking. Wash also had a tough catch over the middle that stood out.

Overall, that was a good game for Mason for himself and the confidence of his teammates going forward.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I was concerned at first. Mason was really off on his throws. He looked pensive. He looked like he had lost confidence in himself. Even Tomlin seemed to have that look like, "Hmm...he may not be ready.", but he stayed with Mason and gave some big props after the game.

Mason came alive and seemed to regain everything he had a few weeks ago. He did have some awesome catches by his receivers that really made everyone look better -- Mason, the team, the coaches....everyone.

After the game, Mason gave great props to everyone on the team, especially his old college teammate, James Washington, for his blocking. Wash also had a tough catch over the middle that stood out.

Overall, that was a good game for Mason for himself and the confidence of his teammates going forward.
He also made some really good passes. The 3rd down bullet he threw to Johnson (I think) on the crossing pattern........ he had about a 1 ft window to fit that ball and he threaded the needle.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Hopefully he can keep it up and POSSIBLY sneak into the playoffs. I feel like without the playoff appearance Big Ben will get to take the reigns again next year and he'll be put back on the bench.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Hopefully he can keep it up and POSSIBLY sneak into the playoffs. I feel like without the playoff appearance Big Ben will get to take the reigns again next year and he'll be put back on the bench.
Big Ben will be 38 when next season rolls around. He won't be given a free pass as starting QB.
I hope you're right. Its Masons time imo, just hope they keep giving him the ball.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Big Ben owns a couple of those losses...and he needs new parts every year...me thinks it's time to buy a suite and watch

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Given their division, they ain't dead yet, imo.

Bengals? They're about to burn that team to the ground & rebuild from there.

Browns? The schedule & the spotlight have not been good to them in the fist half of the season. They've played one division game thus far, so 5 more games vs. Pitt, Bal & Cin.

Ravens? Eh, still not sold on them. They're a poor man's Seattle right now, with a lot more questionable QB. Yeah, they can beat anybody one week, & lose to anybody the next. They're 1 game ahead of PItt right now in division.