GIA Reconfigured seating

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think it’s definitely going to help though. I’ve seen some pretty adverse reactions to students having to go way up, that’ll still happen but it does mean more ppl on the bottom level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
As someone who has had seats on the floor for the last few years, I will reluctantly admit that, overall, I am in favor of this. Although I don't know where my new seats may be, I know that I will still have a great seat (really no seat in GIA is a bad one) and I really think having more students on the floor is the right decision.

When I was at OSU from 1982-1986, all of the floor seating was students. Although we were not that great (after the 1982-1983 season) we definitely made Gallaher Hall a difficult place for opponents to play. As close as the GIA floor seating is to the court, having a rowdy group of students yelling in your ear as you try to inbound the ball at midcourt definitely rattled some players.

Sep 23, 2010
I don't know. Have the students been more passionate than the general fanbase as of late? Seems like students would like to stare at their phones while the game is going on while the adults are there to watch the game. I am a little nervous for how this will go.

Won't the floor seats still be there? It sounded like they were having students on the side where the benches were?

Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Looks like all West floor seating behind both benches will now be students, which should really benefit us. The seating across the court will remain as-is. North and South were always students down to the court.
My thing is can they address the belfry camera angle. It was like that after the renovation then they fixed it but now for some reason it’s back.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I understand it as the only change is all West floor seating behind both benches will now be students, which should really benefit us. The seating across the court will remain as-is. North and South were always students down to the court.
My thing is can they address the belfry camera angle. It was like that after the renovation then they fixed it but now for some reason it’s back.
It was ESPN’s COVID restrictions on where they placed their guys working the camera. Should be back to normal next year

Apr 14, 2008
I love it! I was a student and attended nearly all home games from 1990-1995. The atmosphere was insane. The students bring such energy. I’m going to resume buying season tickets again. I’m excited about next season!

Nov 18, 2011
This is great news! Hopefully they rip out the chair backs and line that whole side with bleachers, similar to Duke. It was very poor decision making 14-15 years ago when they reconfigured the bleachers on the floor, removing the corner student seats and expanding the donor seats down there. Also moving the pep band up to the second level. They continued to raise student prices at that point as well. Those things combined with struggles on the floor really killed the student atmosphere. This along with Boynton’s attitude and outreach seem like steps in the right direction.

StatePoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 29, 2005
I was there in the mid to late 1980's and one season we sat directly behind the visitors bench - it was the best thing ever. Billy Tubbs was a dick, but Norm Stewart was cool as shit. He would look back at us and put his foot on the court or out of the coaches box and try to taunt us to yell at him and just smile. We gave those teams so much shit, it was awesome!

Jun 20, 2013
This is great news! Hopefully they rip out the chair backs and line that whole side with bleachers, similar to Duke. It was very poor decision making 14-15 years ago when they reconfigured the bleachers on the floor, removing the corner student seats and expanding the donor seats down there. Also moving the pep band up to the second level. They continued to raise student prices at that point as well. Those things combined with struggles on the floor really killed the student atmosphere. This along with Boynton’s attitude and outreach seem like steps in the right direction.
I agree. Graduated in 10. Between the sideline seats, the chunk reserved for the band, the chunk reserved for athletes, and the increasing prices, it seemed like they really didn't want the students there. This should be a major step in the right direction, especially with an improved product on the floor.

Apr 14, 2009
FWIW
I sit on the floor row 2 for the women’s games. I got a bill for Renewal. No mention that I would not have the same seats. I set directly across from the home bench. I don’t believe I’m moving.