Game of football will never be the same..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...hington-pursuit-help-nil-policies-source-says

The goal is to discuss a few of the issues facing college athletics with influential senators," Kliavkoff said. "I think it's more likely that we eventually get federal legislation on name, image and likeness, but we're also interested in discussing all of the harm that will come to student-athletes if they are deemed to be employees."

Heard Gottlieb on this rant Tuesday. I agree with your sentiment in general, but I think he was trying to push back a little and point out the platform that the university brand also gives to an athlete, which is completely ignored by some people when it comes to this discussion.

Throughout the last couple of years, he's been one of the only voices I've heard pointing out the actual value and cost of the education, housing, and meals that scholarship athletes receive. That point has been largely left out of the discussion most of the time.
That makes no sense. Is Lebron's value based on the team he plays for? The player holds the value which is why schools recruit them. Again, you think Cade Cunningham's name and likeness are based on the fact he played for OSU? The platforms (college or pro leagues) only exist because of the value players bring to them, not the other way around.

And as far as costs of education, it might be a floor value for players that don't have value on their own, but it in no way resembles anything close to the fair market value of many of the star players' name and likeness. Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone anywhere willing to pay millions of their own dollars to these kids for commercials or whatever they use. The only true farce here is that it has to be tied to name, image, and likeness, since an Alabama booster can pay the QB $2 million for a 30 second radio ad or something when in reality they just want the guy to play for their alma mater. It's still market based to the extent something is always worth what someone else is willing to pay. I still have not heard a legitimate argument why 18 year olds who play high level football are the only adults who cannot pursue compensation in the free market. All I hear is frustration about too many transfers and difficulty on coaches (I already ranted that coaches make millions of dollars so it should be expected that the job is hard). In what other industry is a valuable person not allowed to change jobs for any reason? They are few and far between and none of them resemble college athletics. The closest parallel is pro sports but they are governed by contracts and collective bargaining agreements. If that's where college is headed, I again cannot think of a legitimate reason to disallow it other than I'd personally hate it for my alma mater which is not a reason to preclude 18-22 year olds from making money based on their skills and personalities.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/03/task-force-to-big-money-boosters-nil-sanctions-could-be-coming

COTTSDALE Ariz.—College leaders are gearing up to issue a warning to hundreds of wealthy boosters who are using name, image and likeness (NIL) ventures to involve themselves in recruiting.
University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.
The new directives will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era, officials say. Under a long-held NCAA rule, boosters are a representative arm of an athletic department and are not supposed to associate with or persuade prospects.

Schools that do not control their donors’ spending could be found to have violated NCAA rules and will be sanctioned, according to the document. The NCAA enforcement staff have made inquiries only into a small handful of programs so far, but the guidelines could spark deeper investigations into improper inducements tied to NIL payments.
OOOKay...right!! Wink...wink!!

So the corrupt NCAA enforcement staff had to say something, so that they can punish the OSUs of the world when one of our semi-pro athletes gets a $25 NIL "pay to play" from a "booster led collective" supporting a charity. Makes sense and is consistent with how they have reacted and enforced in the past.

What a joke!!! The NCAA is now trying to put the proverbial cat back in the bag. Good luck with that. College football as we have experienced in the past is over... but the corruption continues.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops appeared on ‘The Rush’, a talk show hosted by Tyler McComas and Teddy Lehman and broadcast around the state of Oklahoma. During his appearance, Stoops made a point to say how bad the NCAA has done in enforcing laws for one problem, while they make hasty decisions regarding other cases that come across their desk.

“The bottom line, be careful what you wish for. It’s totally different than what we’ve been used to. My opinion, we need a new leadership group. The NCAA and the way it’s been has really failed overall. Who goes by rules anymore and how they enforce it just seems so ambiguous. Look at Oklahoma State and their basketball program and what happened to them, brutal and just so wrong and so late. And then other teams, nothing happens to them.

“I’m not pointing fingers at anyone, it happens in football too,” Stoops added. “I’ve been very disillusioned for a long, long time on the NCAA. Just through my football years and how they enforce things or don’t.”

“Maybe we need to have a new league of Power Five teams that have their own league, with their own whatever it be — commissioner, or governing board. You may have to put a salary cap on everybody and every team. Who knows? I don’t know. Again, I’m not living it like these other people are. But from afar, it looks like right now, nobody has control of anything. I don’t know if that’s ever good.”
Thanks Bob, but eff you. Nobody from OU has any authority to speak even remotely about "the rules." Weren't you coach when Adrian Peterson "test drove" a Lexus for 6 months? Go back to selling crappy tequila you pasty piece of garbage.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Thanks Bob, but eff you. Nobody from OU has any authority to speak even remotely about "the rules." Weren't you coach when Adrian Peterson "test drove" a Lexus for 6 months? Go back to selling crappy tequila you pasty piece of garbage.
Adrian Peterson never being ineligible was the true crime of his reign. That moron couldn't pass a class under any circumstances.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Lol, yes, that's pretty much the nature of the agreement both parties willingly enter into.

Don't even get me started on the tuition increase issue, which isn't even addressed in the whole loan forgiveness discussion.:angry:
And no one forces anyone to play for tbe scholarship, so the trade off is absolutely in play.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/03/task-force-to-big-money-boosters-nil-sanctions-could-be-coming

COTTSDALE Ariz.—College leaders are gearing up to issue a warning to hundreds of wealthy boosters who are using name, image and likeness (NIL) ventures to involve themselves in recruiting.
University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.
The new directives will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era, officials say. Under a long-held NCAA rule, boosters are a representative arm of an athletic department and are not supposed to associate with or persuade prospects.

Schools that do not control their donors’ spending could be found to have violated NCAA rules and will be sanctioned, according to the document. The NCAA enforcement staff have made inquiries only into a small handful of programs so far, but the guidelines could spark deeper investigations into improper inducements tied to NIL payments.
In other news, Bijan Robinson just signed an NIL deal with Austin Lamborghini. Ummm, yeah, no clear recruiting advantage here…

Austin Lamborghini vs Barry Sanders Chrysler…

NIL… or Death Knil?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don't see how it could but maybe I'm missing something.

Isn't Title 9 all about gender based discrimination? You wondering if women will sue because they can't get access to the same athletic dollars (i.e., NIL money)? That's all separate from the school so how do they file complaint with the school over it unless the school is doing something to unequally support athletes getting NIL deals?
I read an article a while back that talks about this very issue. Not my words:

“Why? Title IX.

Passed almost 50 years ago by the U.S. Congress, Title IX says, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” (20 U.S.C. § 1681(a))

In college athletics, Title IX regulations require almost all schools to “provide equal athletic opportunity for members of both sexes.” (34 C.F.R. § 106.41(c))

“Equal athletic opportunity” includes equal treatment of male and female athletes throughout the athletic program. The regulations identify numerous non-exclusive areas in which colleges and universities must provide equal opportunity to male and female athletes—including equipment and supplies, facilities, travel, meals, coaching, training and tutoring. The list also specifically includes publicity and, with it, the potential for universities to run afoul of Title IX when they get involved in the world of NIL.

The stakes are high; the potential for making money is huge. Here is the issue: As soon as a university, its employees, or its booster clubs play any role in helping athletes earn money or make deals, the school is necessarily providing a benefit to them. And Title IX requires that male and female athletes be treated equally. If the university arranges or offers deals for men and not women, or vice versa, it has trouble under the law.”

So in the case of.pure NIL deal, this wouldn’t be an issue. But when in the case of what OU and other schools are doing, it’s possible it could blow up in their face. They are playing in a gray area and a university or booster club ‘s actual involvement may be open to interpretation.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I read an article a while back that talks about this very issue. Not my words:

“Why? Title IX.

Passed almost 50 years ago by the U.S. Congress, Title IX says, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” (20 U.S.C. § 1681(a))

In college athletics, Title IX regulations require almost all schools to “provide equal athletic opportunity for members of both sexes.” (34 C.F.R. § 106.41(c))

“Equal athletic opportunity” includes equal treatment of male and female athletes throughout the athletic program. The regulations identify numerous non-exclusive areas in which colleges and universities must provide equal opportunity to male and female athletes—including equipment and supplies, facilities, travel, meals, coaching, training and tutoring. The list also specifically includes publicity and, with it, the potential for universities to run afoul of Title IX when they get involved in the world of NIL.

The stakes are high; the potential for making money is huge. Here is the issue: As soon as a university, its employees, or its booster clubs play any role in helping athletes earn money or make deals, the school is necessarily providing a benefit to them. And Title IX requires that male and female athletes be treated equally. If the university arranges or offers deals for men and not women, or vice versa, it has trouble under the law.”

So in the case of.pure NIL deal, this wouldn’t be an issue. But when in the case of what OU and other schools are doing, it’s possible it could blow up in their face. They are playing in a gray area and a university or booster club ‘s actual involvement may be open to interpretation.
Akron better be shaking in their boots because of OUs screw up.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1523776801884958722?s=20&t=I8w7-8-s2oPaCDnSxMglNQ

First look at NIL guidance. Effective May 9, not retroactive. Will only pursue investigation of most egregious violations of interim guidance, and requesting self reporting (no freaking way schools are going to self report after what NCAA did to us).

High points I see:
No broad team wide deals (i.e., Texas o-line deal, Miami, BYU deals etc)
Coaches may not facilitate meeting/deal and boosters can not contact prior to enrollment (i.e., rumors of poaching via NIL deals)
Cannot be contingent on university affiliation or on field performance.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1523776801884958722?s=20&t=I8w7-8-s2oPaCDnSxMglNQ

First look at NIL guidance. Effective May 9, not retroactive. Will only pursue investigation of most egregious violations of interim guidance, and requesting self reporting (no freaking way schools are going to self report after what NCAA did to us).

High points I see:
Coaches may not facilitate meeting/deal and boosters can not contact prior to enrollment (i.e., rumors of poaching via NIL deals)
LOL, this either won’t last or won’t be enforced/enforceable before the NCAA gets sued.

And while I absolutely want NIL crap to be regulated and fair to everyone, I’m also rooting for the complete and utter demise of the NCAA.

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
LOL, this either won’t last or won’t be enforced/enforceable before the NCAA gets sued.

And while I absolutely want NIL crap to be regulated and fair to everyone, I’m also rooting for the complete and utter demise of the NCAA.
Either way, what can't be done legally will simply be done under the table like it always has.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

High points I see:
So its not retroactive, does that mean that UT and BYU get to keep their team wide deals in place and are grandfathered in?

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
Hopefully it only means they can't continue them going forward. Maybe only current players grandfathered in.
Based on other things I read, I think it means they aren't going to go digging deep into last season's deals but if there was something really obvious and egregious they might look into it.