Game of football will never be the same..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2008
Texas
No, no it won't. The NCAA as we've known it is dead. The amateurism model is the only thing that held the reigns back. It was always supposed to be a level playing field (relatively speaking) but it clearly won't be anymore. Now it will just continue to elevate the 'haves' and drive the nail in the coffin of the 'have nots'. It's sad really b/c they've shot themselves in the foot by sitting by idly as the world changed and they did nothing to change with it. The thing is, if college football becomes the de facto minor leagues, then viewership will just move towards the premier league that is the NFL. The NFL used to occupy just Sun and Mon. Now they're all in on squeezing college out of Thu too. NFL is no friend of college football. NCAA is effectively dead.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Good, send all these teams to the SEC, make it it’s own division, stop giving athletes there free tuition. They can deal with athletes holding out of practice for bigger money deals, athletes transferring for more money, boosters controlling programs because they want their sponsored athlete to start, or get more touchdowns whatever, fans being outpriced because the school needs more money to build new facilities every other year.

OSU can lead the way in a new division where kids want to work hard and get an education. Tickets to games are affordable, etc..

Mar 8, 2010
I propose two conferences or college football organizations. An expanded SEC for all the blue bloods and an expanded Ivy League without NIL for all the rest of us. That’s the only way we’ll continue to preserve college football for those love amateur athletics. They can have their national championship and we can have ours.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I propose two conferences or college football organizations. An expanded SEC for all the blue bloods and an expanded Ivy League without NIL for all the rest of us. That’s the only way we’ll continue to preserve college football for those love amateur athletics. They can have their national championship and we can have ours.
You can't restrict any student from NIL. It is something they now have a right to. It is their name, image, and likeness. If anyone uses it they have to pay for the use.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
You can't restrict any student from NIL. It is something they now have a right to. It is their name, image, and likeness. If anyone uses it they have to pay for the use.
I was thinking about this last night. Free agency started in baseball when Curt Flood took MLB all the way to the Supreme Court for restricting where he could earn a living. All restrictions now stem from the collective bargaining agreement between the players' union and the owners. I don't see how the ncaa will be able to prevent kids from changing schools when a kid says they are limiting his/her earning ability. Furthermore, will the ncaa be able to declare a kid academically ineligible - again thereby limiting the ability to earn? All these issues (and who knows what else) might be challenged in Court and could take years to resolve. I also believe a players' union is inevitable.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I was thinking about this last night. Free agency started in baseball when Curt Flood took MLB all the way to the Supreme Court for restricting where he could earn a living. All restrictions now stem from the collective bargaining agreement between the players' union and the owners. I don't see how the ncaa will be able to prevent kids from changing schools when a kid says they are limiting his/her earning ability. Furthermore, will the ncaa be able to declare a kid academically ineligible - again thereby limiting the ability to earn? All these issues (and who knows what else) might be challenged in Court and could take years to resolve. I also believe a players' union is inevitable.
Northwestern players have already tried to unionize. The thing is, the money for NIL isn't coming from the NCAA or even the school, so the collective bargaining agreement would be with... who exactly?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Northwestern players have already tried to unionize. The thing is, the money for NIL isn't coming from the NCAA or even the school, so the collective bargaining agreement would be with... who exactly?
The ncaa-type governing body which does not yet exist. This body would set the rules and represent the schools (32 or 64 or whatever) and act as their collective bargaining entity, just as MLB does for the owners.

Note: this may come as a shock to some, but I'm not a legal expert, nor do I know practically anything about collective bargaining. I was (low) on the management side of an unsuccessful unionization bid in 1987. Once the workers realized that their 15% annual bonus and 100% company-paid health insurance would become part of the collective bargaining process many quickly changed their tune. The union garnered a whopping 12% support in the election.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The ncaa-type governing body which does not yet exist. This body would set the rules and represent the schools (32 or 64 or whatever) and act as their collective bargaining entity, just as MLB does for the owners.

Note: this may come as a shock to some, but I'm not a legal expert, nor do I know practically anything about collective bargaining. I was (low) on the management side of an unsuccessful unionization bid in 1987. Once the workers realized that their 15% annual bonus and 100% company-paid health insurance would become part of the collective bargaining process many quickly changed their tune. The union garnered a whopping 12% support in the election.
The Transition Committee, meeting this week and headed by SEC and B1G will tell us alot about what the future will look like for CFB.

Dan Patrick was just talking about how a salary cap will be coming, it's just a matter of time.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
The Transition Committee, meeting this week and headed by SEC and B1G will tell us alot about what the future will look like for CFB.

Dan Patrick was just talking about how a salary cap will be coming, it's just a matter of time.
Makes sense. And all our hand-wringing about what "division" we will settle into will likely come down to which cap we choose to participate under. To me, the biggest question is whether the Vandy's and Northwestern's will automatically remain in the high-cap league(s) because of the TV money they already receive, or will they relegate down because they're above the seedy side of college football. I have no doubt some (us?) will be able to buy their way into the top division - which also provides the TV dollars to make it feasible. I think there will be several 'divisions' (caps) and abundant inter-division play, because those in the upper tier will need enough wins to justify their spending. Another major consideration will be who polices the caps, given the inevitable cheating required to retain the recruiting advantages of the biggest spenders.