Future of CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
What all goes into the recruiting budget? I honestly don’t know, is it just travel for coaches and prospects?
I do not fall into the camp that thinks recruiting budgets are the end-all-beat-all that many think. Important in some aspects, but overall, some schools are the guy that borrows his uncle's Corvette for a date while OSU has no problem picking her up in his own car.

Every school has a certain amount of visits they can take so it is not like the bigger budgets mean more visits. The biggest difference is how they take them. Take for instance the unfortunate small plane accident that took the lives of two of our coaches on a recruiting trip about a decade ago. Coaches at big-budget places do not fly planes like that. They have chartered jets, etc. to go in style and coach's travel eats up a huge chunk of the budget. Have seen tweets from HCMB from inside planes and it appears he may be flying in jets now, but hard to tell from the photos. So from that aspect, if one our coaches spends 1/10th as much on his travel, not going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

How does the kid get around while here? Schools can rent a custom OTR motorcoach for large groups, a limo or have a GA pick them up on their way into work. Probably a 9/10 as far as the wow factor goes in recruiting a kid and I am sure OSU does something within reason other than calling them an Uber.

Where do they stay? About 2-3 years ago I was in Austin for work the same weekend they were hosting Kansas in football. I stayed at the Four Seasons, not because I am flush with cash, but that was the asset my client was financing and my stay was comped. UT had no less than two dozen recruits staying there from basketball to football. Not just the recruit, but extended family as well. Got on the elevator and struck up a conversation with a kid whose grandmother and all his siblings, some appearing to be grade school age, were all with them. Now I do not know how generous OSU gets in regard to bringing in family members, and the Atherton is by all reports a fine hotel but a quick check of rates compared to a Four Seasons is about 1/3rd-1/5th the cost depending on the date. Not sure if there is a higher-rated hotel in Stillwater but the expense of housing kids in Austin at fancy hotels is going to be way more.

Food. With above, the Lubbock article cited an example that on one weekend, UT spent almost $118k to house and feed recruits for the week.

All schools now do promo work for a kid, some just spend more doing it. Swag, you name it. NOt that we do things poorly, but some schools just go overboard with the bells and whistles.

Now the big question is....does it matter?

Honestly, I think it has some degree of impact, but not as much as some want to think. A kid who wants to go to Georgia is probably not going to flip to OSU because they rolled out the red carpet above and beyond what Georgia did. Sure, kids want to feel they are all that, but when you get right down to it, where was the kid thinking of going in the first place? Another way to look at it...what would we do different that would have a significant impact if we did have 3x the budget that we do now?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I do not fall into the camp that thinks recruiting budgets are the end-all-beat-all that many think. Important in some aspects, but overall, some schools are the guy that borrows his uncle's Corvette for a date while OSU has no problem picking her up in his own car.

Every school has a certain amount of visits they can take so it is not like the bigger budgets mean more visits. The biggest difference is how they take them. Take for instance the unfortunate small plane accident that took the lives of two of our coaches on a recruiting trip about a decade ago. Coaches at big-budget places do not fly planes like that. They have chartered jets, etc. to go in style and coach's travel eats up a huge chunk of the budget. Have seen tweets from HCMB from inside planes and it appears he may be flying in jets now, but hard to tell from the photos. So from that aspect, if one our coaches spends 1/10th as much on his travel, not going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

How does the kid get around while here? Schools can rent a custom OTR motorcoach for large groups, a limo or have a GA pick them up on their way into work. Probably a 9/10 as far as the wow factor goes in recruiting a kid and I am sure OSU does something within reason other than calling them an Uber.

Where do they stay? About 2-3 years ago I was in Austin for work the same weekend they were hosting Kansas in football. I stayed at the Four Seasons, not because I am flush with cash, but that was the asset my client was financing and my stay was comped. UT had no less than two dozen recruits staying there from basketball to football. Not just the recruit, but extended family as well. Got on the elevator and struck up a conversation with a kid whose grandmother and all his siblings, some appearing to be grade school age, were all with them. Now I do not know how generous OSU gets in regard to bringing in family members, and the Atherton is by all reports a fine hotel but a quick check of rates compared to a Four Seasons is about 1/3rd-1/5th the cost depending on the date. Not sure if there is a higher-rated hotel in Stillwater but the expense of housing kids in Austin at fancy hotels is going to be way more.

Food. With above, the Lubbock article cited an example that on one weekend, UT spent almost $118k to house and feed recruits for the week.

All schools now do promo work for a kid, some just spend more doing it. Swag, you name it. NOt that we do things poorly, but some schools just go overboard with the bells and whistles.

Now the big question is....does it matter?

Honestly, I think it has some degree of impact, but not as much as some want to think. A kid who wants to go to Georgia is probably not going to flip to OSU because they rolled out the red carpet above and beyond what Georgia did. Sure, kids want to feel they are all that, but when you get right down to it, where was the kid thinking of going in the first place? Another way to look at it...what would we do different that would have a significant impact if we did have 3x the budget that we do now?
Thanks! That was very informative, and I definitely agree with your points.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
well if the SEC wants to expand, that's reason enough right there not to expand: unless they are pulling reverse psychology on us . . then I want the expansion . . . or double reverse and I'm back to not wanting it . .

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
well if the SEC wants to expand, that's reason enough right there not to expand: unless they are pulling reverse psychology on us . . then I want the expansion . . . or double reverse and I'm back to not wanting it . .
You know what’s better than 2 SEC schools in the CFP?

6 SEC schools in the CFP.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Does someone know the channel for Gilligan’s Island or Leave it to Beaver reruns tonight between 7:00 and 11:00? I’m thinking I want to watch something where I can’t predict the outcome. Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Sounds like we are missing a halftime show for the ages.... fortunately
https://twitter.com/MikeMSchwartz/status/1480738224322465794?s=20

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Does someone know the channel for Gilligan’s Island or Leave it to Beaver reruns tonight between 7:00 and 11:00? I’m thinking I want to watch something where I can’t predict the outcome. Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could have probably found them on Pluto.tv

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sounds like we are missing a halftime show for the ages.... fortunately
https://twitter.com/MikeMSchwartz/status/1480738224322465794?s=20

They had the band halftime somewhere on the ESPN channels

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk