Future of CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I bet BIG/ACC/PAC12 block any vote on expansion unless there's some better guarantee for their expanded presence and limit on SEC.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
The SEC isn't going to care. They will say "Fine, don't expand. We are content with placing 2 teams every year."
But would that still be worth it to avoid all the revenue they’d get from having 6 teams in? Which option avoids the gap widening even more. I almost want it to not happen just because it’s what the SEC wants.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
My Ideal Playoff Scenario:

8 team Playoff

5 automatic qualifiers for each P5 champion

1 automatic qualifier for top ranked G5 Team

2 highest ranked at large bids

Ranking/seeding structure based on BCS model. Between AP poll, Power 5 commissioned Playoff committee, and strength of schedule computer model.

1st round is played at highest seed stadiums

2 teams per conference maximum

This is a functional 13 team playoff.

Only folks that lose out in this scenario is the new SEC and Notre Dame. Shame…

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
My Ideal Playoff Scenario:

8 team Playoff

5 automatic qualifiers for each P5 champion

1 automatic qualifier for top ranked G5 Team

2 highest ranked at large bids

Ranking/seeding structure based on BCS model. Between AP poll, Power 5 commissioned Playoff committee, and strength of schedule computer model.

2 teams per conference maximum

This is a functional 13 team playoff.

Only folks that lose out in this scenario is the new SEC and Notre Dame. Shame…
Caveat - you must have won your division and played in said conference championship game to be included as an at large. Period.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I am going to respectfully disagree. Based on what I have seen usually the talent difference between 1-8 and 2-7 is usually pretty high. Throw in home field advantage in college and you might as well just not play the game.

Most years, there is a clear 1 and maybe 2. It gets muddy in the 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6.

I think a six team playoff with 1 and 2 getting a bye might be a better idea.

Feel free to disagree... fun discussion.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
I am going to respectfully disagree. Based on what I have seen usually the talent difference between 1-8 and 2-7 is usually pretty high. Throw in home field advantage in college and you might as well just not play the game.

Most years, there is a clear 1 and maybe 2. It gets muddy in the 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6.

I think a six team playoff with 1 and 2 getting a bye might be a better idea.

Feel free to disagree... fun discussion.
I think it would be great for the sport. Think about the atmosphere for a high stakes game with 2 quality opponents in a college town environment. I don’t think home field advantage is as important as any other chance factor in football, but it’s usually worth 3 points in the spread. It’s also good for the top 4 teams and gives teams motivation to win the most games with the best style points like when it was only a 2 team championship. I think it keeps bowl matchups somewhat relevant for destination bowls like the fiesta bowl we just won. A hypothetical scenario would be in 2011 we would’ve played at top 8 team at BPS to cap the home season. That would’ve been amazing.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I'm thinking that with the bowl record this year SEC is on the way to limiting themselves. Not only did they lose, they lost badly in some of the matchups. After Georgia and Bama teams get pretty mundane pretty fast.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I hate any scenario that includes a BYE. In CFB, that's nearly 10% of a season that the -already- superior team doesn't have to play in, creating a massive advantage. 10% less injuries, 10% more rest time, 10% more time and an extra game to scout and strategize against the opponent.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I think it would be great for the sport. Think about the atmosphere for a high stakes game with 2 quality opponents in a college town environment. I don’t think home field advantage is as important as any other chance factor in football, but it’s usually worth 3 points in the spread. It’s also good for the top 4 teams and gives teams motivation to win the most games with the best style points like when it was only a 2 team championship. I think it keeps bowl matchups somewhat relevant for destination bowls like the fiesta bowl we just won. A hypothetical scenario would be in 2011 we would’ve played at top 8 team at BPS to cap the home season. That would’ve been amazing.
I love the thought of this. I wonder about the revenue split, though. I doubt the NCAA would allow the home team to keep all the gate and concession revenue. They also like playing at mega stadiums - would they allow this knowing a place like BPS would be 60% of the tickets vs. Michigan or Jerry World?

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
I love the thought of this. I wonder about the revenue split, though. I doubt the NCAA would allow the home team to keep all the gate and concession revenue. They also like playing at mega stadiums - would they allow this knowing a place like BPS would be 60% of the tickets vs. Michigan or Jerry World?
Not sure why they can’t let the schools keep the ticket revenue. TV money is what is driving all of this anyways. Hell this year a home College Football Playoff home game for Cincinnati would be a program changer for them.