future Big 12 CFP rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Currently ranked SEC teams
Georgia #1
Bama #3
Ole Miss #9
ATM #15
Arkansas #25

Currently ranked Big 10 teams
Ohio State #2
Michigan #5
Michigan State #12
Wisconsin #14
Iowa #16

Currently ranked future Big 12 teams
Cincinnati #4
Oklahoma State #7
Baylor #8
BYU #13
Houston #24

Currently ranked Big 12 teams
Oklahoma State #7
Baylor #8
Oklahoma #10

Currently ranked ACC teams
Pittsburg #17
Wake #18
NC State #20
Clemson #23

Currently ranked PAC teams
Oregon #12
Utah #19

Btw, no Texas to be found in these rankings...Future Big 12 is BETTER than Big 12 now...Truth is Truth. The conference next year will be right up there with Big 10 and SEC in terms of quality of competition. We may have to earn our respect, but this year the future Big 12 is better than the PAC, the ACC and equal to others in the "power 5" in terms of ranked teams at this time of year...that's a big deal...credit where due!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2014
But with Cincy, BYU and Houston playing a Big12 schedule, they’d all have more losses and thus not ranked as high.
i think Cincy and BYU would probably have similar records with our schedule this year, add one loss probably. Houston might have several more losses, I don’t know haven’t watched them at all this season.

On the other hand, playing a better schedule even with an additional loss probably evens out and they may have similar rankings (outside of Cincy, with a loss they’re probably 10-13).

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Not sure it's mathematically possible for them to have the same records and OSU and BU having the same records when we'd all be playing each other.

That's part of the magic of the SEC. They only play 8 SEC games so they get their 4 gim'me games and poof all of them have winning seasons w/o knocking each other out.

A&M went years of 8-4 and never finishing with a winning conference record.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Cincinnati #4
Oklahoma State #7
Baylor #8
BYU #13
Houston #24

Btw, no Texas to be found in these rankings...Future Big 12 is BETTER than Big 12 now...Truth is Truth. The conference next year will be right up there with Big 10 and SEC in terms of quality of competition. We may have to earn our respect, but this year the future Big 12 is better than the PAC, the ACC and equal to others in the "power 5" in terms of ranked teams at this time of year...that's a big deal...credit where due!
That's what I've been saying. They may be an all-time national brand, but Texas has been a drag on the conference for a long time. UCF is way down this year, due to injuries, or else they'd probably be ranked as well. Top to bottom, the B12 is a top three power five, ahead of the ACC and Pac12, as you stated, and every bit as good as the B10, which is extremely overrated, IMO.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The Big 12 will still be good with the new conference. I don't think Cincinnati or Houston would go undefeated against Big 12 Middleweights Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia in consecutive weeks. I know UCF wouldn't. BYU will be an upper echelon Big 12 school. They already play a pretty close to Power 5 schedule.

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF don't have NFL caliber talent on the OL/DL. Those dudes are scarce and they make a difference, especially when the other team has that type of line talent and I think some of you are out of your mind if you honestly believe UCF, Cincinnati, BYU and Houston would have a winning record against Oklahoma and Texas.

Let's not remember to stretch before patting ourselves on the back.

I'm assuming most of the people on this board took classes in Stillwater. Please refrain from spouting something so uneducated.

I'd like the Big 12 to be good, especially while we're stuck here with the horsecrap TV money; Yes it stinks that Texas and the school in Norman appeared to collude with ESPN to attempt to sabotage the Big 12 on their way out for more lucrative TV deals, but let's keep things serious and not resort to fan fiction.

TCU, Utah and WV were killing it in the MWC and Big East and have all been relatively mediocre in P5 play. Pitt and Louisville were good in the Big East but have been bleh in the ACC. Rutgers had one good season in the Big East and predictably have become the Pulp Fiction Gimp in the Big 10.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
If we want to compete with the sec and b1g (rankings-wise) in the future we cannot continue to play more conference games than they do. It's literally self-defeating. I hate the thought of adding another gimme to the schedule, but if that's how the playoff teams are picked we'd be stupid to keep knocking each other out. It will be a minor miracle if we win out and make the playoffs this year - even with more conference wins than anyone else in the country. If the playoffs have auto-bids to P5 conference champs then we can do whatever we want. Until then the B12 needs to limit conference games to no more than the other leagues, and probably should move an ooc game to late in the season like the sec, when rankings have become solidified and they seem to have absolutely zero effect on team's SOS.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
If we want to compete with the sec and b1g (rankings-wise) in the future we cannot continue to play more conference games than they do. It's literally self-defeating. I hate the thought of adding another gimme to the schedule, but if that's how the playoff teams are picked we'd be stupid to keep knocking each other out. It will be a minor miracle if we win out and make the playoffs this year - even with more conference wins than anyone else in the country. If the playoffs have auto-bids to P5 conference champs then we can do whatever we want. Until then the B12 needs to limit conference games to no more than the other leagues, and probably should move an ooc game to late in the season like the sec, when rankings have become solidified and they seem to have absolutely zero effect on team's SOS.
Big 10 actually play 9 conference games. Their scheduling format consist of

9 conference games
1 from P5 conference
0 from fcs

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Not sure it's mathematically possible for them to have the same records and OSU and BU having the same records when we'd all be playing each other.

That's part of the magic of the SEC. They only play 8 SEC games so they get their 4 gim'me games and poof all of them have winning seasons w/o knocking each other out.

I mean if we're talking gimme games, UT is basically an FCS team this year and I couldn't be happier.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The Big 12 will still be good with the new conference. I don't think Cincinnati or Houston would go undefeated against Big 12 Middleweights Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia in consecutive weeks. I know UCF wouldn't. BYU will be an upper echelon Big 12 school. They already play a pretty close to Power 5 schedule.

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF don't have NFL caliber talent on the OL/DL. Those dudes are scarce and they make a difference, especially when the other team has that type of line talent and I think some of you are out of your mind if you honestly believe UCF, Cincinnati, BYU and Houston would have a winning record against Oklahoma and Texas.

I'm assuming most of the people on this board took classes in Stillwater. Please refrain from spouting something so uneducated.

I'd like the Big 12 to be good, especially while we're stuck here with the horsecrap TV money; Yes it stinks that Texas and the school in Norman appeared to collude with ESPN to attempt to sabotage the Big 12 on their way out for more lucrative TV deals, but let's keep things serious and not resort to fan fiction.

TCU, Utah and WV were killing it in the MWC and Big East and have all been relatively mediocre in P5 play. Pitt and Louisville were good in the Big East but have been bleh in the ACC. Rutgers had one good season in the Big East and predictably have become the Pulp Fiction Gimp in the Big 10.
The only fiction being spouted are by those that tout conferences based on attendance and not actual on the field results. The rankings are what they are...they are the only "truth" we really have with which to judge teams...Cinci beat ND at ND...they are a legit top 4 team and ranked at #4...Houston is 10-1 and has a former Big 12 coach at the helm. BYU is consistently top 20 every year and plays a good schedule annually. Btw, their two losses are to two teams we beat...(Boise State and Baylor) but they also won games over currently ranked teams in ASU and Utah. Bottom line...it's NOT fiction or uneducated to say that the future Big 12 is actually better than the current one THIS year. We are only losing one quality ranked team and we are adding four and three of those are currently ranked, one above the one quality team we are losing. It's just simple truth..

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The only fiction being spouted are by those that tout conferences based on attendance and not actual on the field results. The rankings are what they are...they are the only "truth" we really have with which to judge teams...Cinci beat ND at ND...they are a legit top 4 team and ranked at #4...Houston is 10-1 and has a former Big 12 coach at the helm. BYU is consistently top 20 every year and plays a good schedule annually. Btw, their two losses are to two teams we beat...(Boise State and Baylor) but they also won games over currently ranked teams in ASU and Utah. Bottom line...it's NOT fiction or uneducated to say that the future Big 12 is actually better than the current one THIS year. We are only losing one quality ranked team and we are adding four and three of those are currently ranked, one above the one quality team we are losing. It's just simple truth..
I said BYU was good. I think Texas would be 10-1 with either Houston or Cincinnati's schedule. I Houston or Cincinnati would be above KSU, Tech or Iowa State if they played a Big 12 schedule this year. BYU would probably be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 12.

Eyeballs drives revenue. Revenue does generally produce a better team. It's unfortunate that you that refuse to acknowledge that.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Exactly. If we don't go to an 8 game conference schedule once we are back at 12 teams, there should be an immediate petition for new conference leadership.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I said BYU was good. I think Texas would be 10-1 with either Houston or Cincinnati's schedule. I Houston or Cincinnati would be above KSU, Tech or Iowa State if they played a Big 12 schedule this year. BYU would probably be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 12.

Eyeballs drives revenue. Revenue does generally produce a better team. It's unfortunate that you that refuse to acknowledge that.
You’re argument lost all credibility when you even suggested that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

What we "think" is irreverent to the discussion of strength of conference right now based on the only real metrics we have (i.e. the CFP rankings). Btw, Texas downright sucks...they lost at home to Kansas...right now..at this point in time... they are the worst team in the conference / country. Worse than Kansas bad. So NO I don't for a minute "think" Texas would be 10-1 with those two schedules. Granted I admit they started out good but something has happened to them and they are now just an upside down dead armadillo on the side of the highway...oh, and I could only be happier if we send ou to the same fate this weekend.

I do acknowledge that generally revenue produces better teams...but coaching, conditioning, recruiting, fan involvement all paly a massive part. A culture team like ours can succeed in this future environment just as it has in the past and perhaps even excel more than it ever has. Replacing two teams with large revenues with four teams who are up and comers in terms of revenues can and will likely keep us Power five and sending teams to the CFP each year...in fact we may have a better chance in it just due to having additional quality teams (minus a big loss of OU).

Granted it's not perfect, our future conference, but it's far better than it felt like it might be prior to this season.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Houston and Texas have one similar opponent. Houston lost and Texas smashed them.

Houston's schedule is trash. I'm wouldn't guarantee Texas would be 10-1 vs that schedule, but Houston would absolutely be middle of the pack (or lower) in the Big12 this year
Likely but we have no way of knowing...what we do know is that they are ranked in the top 25...deservedly or not...and that they are coached by our former OC Dana Holgorsen who happens to be a heck of an offensive mind.

We have two similar opponents with them Tulsa and Tech...They beat Tulsa in Tulsa 45-10 so two can play this game. OU also has two similar opponents with them and they beat Tulane far worse than OU did. Point being, we have no clue but only know they are 10-1. Also I think they give Cinci a heck of a game if not beat them outright.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
What we "think" is irreverent to the discussion of strength of conference right now based on the only real metrics we have (i.e. the CFP rankings). Btw, Texas downright sucks...they lost at home to Kansas...right now..at this point in time... they are the worst team in the conference / country. Worse than Kansas bad. So NO I don't for a minute "think" Texas would be 10-1 with those two schedules. Granted I admit they started out good but something has happened to them and they are now just an upside down dead armadillo on the side of the highway...oh, and I could only be happier if we send ou to the same fate this weekend.

I do acknowledge that generally revenue produces better teams...but coaching, conditioning, recruiting, fan involvement all paly a massive part. A culture team like ours can succeed in this future environment just as it has in the past and perhaps even excel more than it ever has. Replacing two teams with large revenues with four teams who are up and comers in terms of revenues can and will likely keep us Power five and sending teams to the CFP each year...in fact we may have a better chance in it just due to having additional quality teams (minus a big loss of OU).

Granted it's not perfect, our future conference, but it's far better than it felt like it might be prior to this season.
10-1 Texas with Cincinnati schedule will be ranked ahead of 10-1 Okla State with the BIG12 schedule.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

You forgot Texas Tech.
Houston only loss was to Tech.