Ft Worth school admin calling for opposing view to Holocaust be taught in schools

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVDpH2np1SI/?utm_medium=copy_link

How can there truly be an opposing view. If nothing else the Germans were meticulous record keepers so we know without a doubt the majority of those killed. Although there is some question as to who was towards the end due to all their rushing through the chambers to get rid of as many before the allies rolled through.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Here's the actual text from the law this story references. I don't think that anyone with half a brain would consider the Holocaust a "widely debated and currently controversial" issue. This administrator sounds like an idiot.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB3979/id/2339637
(1) no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs;
(2) teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Here's the actual text from the law this story references. I don't think that anyone with half a brain would consider the Holocaust a "widely debated and currently controversial" issue. This administrator sounds like an idiot.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB3979/id/2339637
(1) no teacher shall be compelled by a policy of any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter school, or school administration to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs;
(2) teachers who choose to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective;
You can hear her own words, listen around the 1 minute 10 second mark.
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1448741745584480259?s=21

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
You can hear her own words, listen around the 1 minute 10 second mark.
That's crazy. She clearly has a poor understanding of this legislation. Here's a quote from one of the bill's sponsors. He makes it clear that it doesn't apply to things like the Holocaust.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocaust-books-remarks-texas-school-administrator/
State Rep. Giovanni Capriglione said, "The Holocaust was a terrible event in human history based on ignorant hatred. It is not a currently controversial or even debatable subject – its occurrence is a fact. HB3979 does not require an "opposing view" and any idea that it would, is incorrect."

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
That's crazy. She clearly has a poor understanding of this legislation. Here's a quote from one of the bill's sponsors. He makes it clear that it doesn't apply to things like the Holocaust.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocaust-books-remarks-texas-school-administrator/
State Rep. Giovanni Capriglione said, "The Holocaust was a terrible event in human history based on ignorant hatred. It is not a currently controversial or even debatable subject – its occurrence is a fact. HB3979 does not require an "opposing view" and any idea that it would, is incorrect."
I agree with the opinion that this administrator is an idiot, but this whole thing does really reveal the lunacy of legislation that calls for the teaching of "both sides" of "controversial issues" because just about any issue or question can be "made" controversial by someone demanding that "both sides" need to be taught.

For instance, I would say the same thing that Rep. Capriglione said about the holocaust about the theory of macro-evolution.....or the big bang theory....or that we definitely aren't in a post-racial society in America (racism exists and still needs to be addressed and dealt with), but those are definitely going to be deemed controversial if a school doesn't teach the other side (creationism/racism is not a problem in America).

Would it apply if that school district has a small group of parents who are "holocaust apologists" that believe that it wasn't six million Jews killed in the holocaust...that the holocaust should be taught in a manner that gives light and some sympathy or understanding to the plight of German citizens post WWI....whatever....and end up making controversy over how it's being taught?

Yeah, this administrator is an idiot....but the legislation itself is poorly thought out as well.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I was taught in school that people used to think the earth was flat, also learned about maps of that time. Then also learned why and when People’s view changed and the facts to back it up. history is full of how people used think one way or opinion then science and facts change the belief. Some people still do not agree though I wounder what they learned in school. If they were never taugh about why people used to think the world was flat and why it isn’t.

I am not sure how people think the Holocaust didn’t happen. I have never heard anyone’s opinion directly on why, just someone thinks it.
Welcome to the forum. Good first post.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I am not sure how people think the Holocaust didn’t happen. I have never heard anyone’s opinion directly on why, just someone thinks it.
What I have heard.....from several proponents that:

-There was no systemic killing of the Jewish....that it was a small group of "rouge Nazis".
-That the numbers of dead Jewish people is grossly inflated....and that even most of the supposed "non-inflated" dead died due to decease rather than being murdered

There's even been full blown libel trials over these issues. Look up David Irving.

There are definitely people out there....I would say a disturbing number of them....that are still at a minimum "apologists" or "minimizers" concerning the Holocaust.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Interesting, thank you for the insight. Still blows my mind, but your two bullets I can actually see those being made and as crazy as they are. Still I don’t agree with them. But for another thread I think.

Though to the point of the original post and topic, the teacher who made the original comment really missed the point of the law. And her comment should never be said. But now people will use it as an example to argue the law also make Texas look bad once again.
The law is definitely poorly written and unclear.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If a school has text books that say the earth is round, then they must also have textbooks with flat earth views.
I was taught in school that people used to think the earth was flat, also learned about maps of that time. Then also learned why and when People’s view changed and the facts to back it up. history is full of how people used think one way or opinion then science and facts change the belief. Some people still do not agree though I wounder what they learned in school. If they were never taugh about why people used to think the world was flat and why it isn’t.

They believe that the Jews inflated the numbers to make it look bad, also some believe that Jews committed war crimes against the nazis and were executed, instead of being exterminated. There are myriad reasons out there, all fall short when faced with the truth.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
What I have heard.....from several proponents that:

-There was no systemic killing of the Jewish....that it was a small group of "rouge Nazis".
-That the numbers of dead Jewish people is grossly inflated....and that even most of the supposed "non-inflated" dead died due to decease rather than being murdered

There's even been full blown libel trials over these issues. Look up David Irving.

There are definitely countries out there....I would say a disturbing number of them....that are still at a minimum "apologists" or "minimizers" concerning the Holocaust.
FIFY

And to push the conspiracy further, those countries say Israel is punishing the west for not acting quicker in ending it.