Freedom of the Press

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Biden wants scripted press conferences.... If it doesn't bother you, it should.

Biden staff asking reporters to share questions ahead of briefings

President Joe Biden's communications staff have probed White House reporters to see what questions they plan on asking new White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki during briefings, The Daily Beast reports.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Biden wants scripted press conferences.... If it doesn't bother you, it should.

Biden staff asking reporters to share questions ahead of briefings

President Joe Biden's communications staff have probed White House reporters to see what questions they plan on asking new White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki during briefings, The Daily Beast reports.
:runaway: Oh no! You mean they might do what previous administrations have done and use these questions to have more detailed or precise answers at the press conference instead of punting because they don't have the answer at the moment?! The HORROR!!!

Here's some more from that article if you just didn't make it past the headline...
Biden’s press team did not deny that staffers had solicited questions from reporters. But the White House contended that it has tried to foster a better relationship with the press corps than the previous administration, and has tried to reach out to reporters directly in order to avoid appearing to dodge questions during briefings.
“Our goal is to make the daily briefing as useful and informative as possible for both reporters and the public,” a White House spokesperson said. “Part of meeting that objective means regularly engaging with the reporters who will be in the briefing room to understand how the White House can be most helpful in getting them the information they need. That two-way conversation is an important part of keeping the American people updated about how government is serving them.”
This practice isn’t totally unheard-of in previous administrations, departments, or federal agencies. For instance, former President Donald Trump’s White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was known to have asked certain news outlets about their questions in advance of some major or high-profile Trump press conferences or events, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter. Communications staffers during the Bush and Obama years would ask reporters for the gist of questions in advance if they wanted to interview Cabinet secretaries.
Under previous administrations, many White House reporters would meet informally in the morning for gaggles with the press secretaries. During these interactions, White House communications staff could get a sense of the topics reporters were interested in that day, and would come prepared for questions during televised briefings later in the afternoon.
Eric Schultz, a former deputy press secretary in the Obama White House, said that the new comms team was restoring normalcy to the briefing process. Finding out what reporters are focusing on, he said, was standard procedure in most pre-Trump White Houses in order to reduce the number of questions that go unanswered during televised briefings.
“This is textbook communications work. The briefing becomes meaningless if the press secretary has to repeatedly punt questions, instead of coming equipped to discuss what journalists are reporting on,” he said. “In a non-covid environment, this would happen in casual conversations throughout the day in lower and upper press. One of the few upsides to reporters hovering over your desk all day, is that you get a very quick sense of what they’re working on.”

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
:runaway: Oh no! You mean they might do what previous administrations have done and use these questions to have more detailed or precise answers at the press conference instead of punting because they don't have the answer at the moment?! The HORROR!!!

Here's some more from that article if you just didn't make it past the headline...
What's even more interesting are the parts you left out of the article.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
What's even more interesting are the parts you left out of the article.
No it's not. They started off the article with an irrational freakout which looked to be the inspiration for your post and then literally listed off examples of how not-uncommon this is... I just pasted that part because you either didn't click the "continue reading" button or you just dismissed it.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
No it's not. They started off the article with an irrational freakout which looked to be the inspiration for your post and then literally listed off examples of how not-uncommon this is... I just pasted that part because you either didn't click the "continue reading" button or you just dismissed it.
I read the entire thing.

What you have dismissed is the following.

Less than two weeks into President Joe Biden's administration, reporters are raising concerns about White House press office staffers trying to get them to give advance notice on which questions they plan to ask at briefings.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I read the entire thing.

Less than two weeks into President Joe Biden's administration, reporters are raising concerns about White House press office staffers trying to get them to give advance notice on which questions they plan to ask at briefings.
That was easy to miss. If only the headline said that, then @oks10 wouldn't have needed to point it out.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I read the entire thing.

Is there any information as to who "reporters" is? What outlets they're with? If their concerns are actually valid (which they appear not to be based on the article itself actually citing this being somewhat commonplace)? Are we just not going to ask those questions anymore since Trump's out? What happened to all that criticism of anonymity from the last 4 yrs? Every criticism of Trump's administration reported was just answered with "liberal MSM!". We just done doing that now?

Plus, I didn't dismiss it. THEY dismissed it themselves by writing about other administrations have done the same or similar.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Someone‘s attitude on this I guess depends on whether you think a press conference is supposed to relay information for the betterment of everyone’s understanding or be used as a “gotcha” slugfest.

Mar 11, 2006
I don't really see this as a big deal. I think a lot of this is Jen "circle back" Psaki not doing a great job last week. I read an article that she said "I will have to circle back" or "I will circle back" 77 times in her first 9-days on the job. I think her poise is okay, but it appears the administration has not prepared her, or she has not prepared herself, prior to doing each daily update..

Sep 12, 2008
She'll get the hang of it.. here's what she had to say on NPR.

“[W]hen reporters are getting really loud, or they’re starting to ask crazy questions, I just slow down my pace, and I talk very quietly, and I treat them like I’m an orderly sometimes in an insane asylum,” she said in an interview with National Public Radio (NPR) released Saturday.

Cmon! You got to like that.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
She'll get the hang of it.. here's what she had to say on NPR.

“[W]hen reporters are getting really loud, or they’re starting to ask crazy questions, I just slow down my pace, and I talk very quietly, and I treat them like I’m an orderly sometimes in an insane asylum,” she said in an interview with National Public Radio (NPR) released Saturday.

Cmon! You got to like that.
Listening to her today she was getting really testy with reporters for asking even the most mundane questions about anything. Could definitely see her blowing up at reporters someday soon especially if any ever get a backbone to ask hard questions

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I don't really see this as a big deal. I think a lot of this is Jen "circle back" Psaki not doing a great job last week. I read an article that she said "I will have to circle back" or "I will circle back" 77 times in her first 9-days on the job. I think her poise is okay, but it appears the administration has not prepared her, or she has not prepared herself, prior to doing each daily update..
Exactly. They criticize her for not having immediate answers to their questions and then when the admin tries to prepare so they DO have an answer for them they cry "FrEeDoM oF tHe PrEsS!!!"...