Formula 1 (2021)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Any F1 fans on OP??? I've recently become a fan after watching the Drive to Survive series on Netflix. I decided to follow the 2021 season, and have loved it so far. It's way better than DTR!

I'd love to learn more about the sport from anyone that's followed it longer than 6 months!

dirtyp

Wrangler
Jul 5, 2004
Any F1 fans on OP??? I've recently become a fan after watching the Drive to Survive series on Netflix. I decided to follow the 2021 season, and have loved it so far. It's way better than DTR!

I'd love to learn more about the sport from anyone that's followed it longer than 6 months!
Ditto as you. I just started pulling for McLaren, got to represent the Orange. Lando Norris, and Ricardo seem like good dudes too. Ricardo is quite the character, he gets plenty of airtime on the Drive to Survive. I would also like to know pundits' thoughts on Max Verstappen's wreck yesterday (7/18)? It seemed like Lewis Hamilton was being a punk, but what do I know...

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Ditto as you. I just started pulling for McLaren, got to cheer for the Orange. Lando Norris, and Ricardo seem like good dudes too. Ricardo is quite the charter, he gets plenty of airtime on the Drive to Survive. I would also like to know pundits' thoughts on Max Verstappen's wreck yesterday (7/18)? It seemed like Lewis Hamilton was being a punk, but what do I know...
Thoughts on the wreck, Hamilton got pissy he couldn't get by Verstappen so he wrecked him out and could have killed him if he hit that concrete barrier instead of the tires. Should have been black flagged for the race but instead he gets a chance to win it.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Ditto as you. I just started pulling for McLaren, got to cheer for the Orange. Lando Norris, and Ricardo seem like good dudes too. Ricardo is quite the charter, he gets plenty of airtime on the Drive to Survive. I would also like to know pundits' thoughts on Max Verstappen's wreck yesterday (7/18)? It seemed like Lewis Hamilton was being a punk, but what do I know...
Me and my family have all chose our favorites based on the series. I am a Verstappen fan since he's Dutch (my family roots are Dutch), but my daughter is a big fan of Hamilton (since he's a character in the Disney Cars series) and Lando (#4 is her favorite number). My wife decided she doesn't like Verstappen, and generally likes Danny Ric. She never remembers his name, just calls him the "goofy guy".

My (newbie) opinion from the wreck yesterday was that it felt more so like a racing incident with two guys fighting for every inch, BUT it was definitely Hamilton's fault. I thought the 10-sec penalty wasn't enough, though. The major problem I had with the whole thing was Hamilton's lack of owning up to his clear and obvious mistake, and his over-the-top showboating, etc... after the race. I understand why he felt compelled to do it, but it just felt wrong to feel THAT excited after you wrecked a competitor due to your own mistake. The whole thing just felt very gross to me. I don't think Hamilton was being malicious with the incident, but his celebration and interview were cringy given the circumstances. I turned it off before the podium ceremony. I just couldn't watch any longer.

I hope Max is ok, both physically and psychologically to the point that he can absolutely own Merc/LH going forward. They deserve it.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Thoughts on the wreck, Hamilton got pissy he couldn't get by Verstappen so he wrecked him out and could have killed him if he hit that concrete barrier instead of the tires. Should have been black flagged for the race but instead he gets a chance to win it.
I can understand/respect that opinion, but don't have enough of a race fan or F1 background to know just how bad it was. It seemed like a clear mistake in the moment, but it was subsequent celebration and blaming Max for the wreck that really got me. I lost a huge amount of respect for LH after yesterday.

In the quotes I've seen in the aftermath, LH blames Max for the incident, expecting Max to have yielded the corner even though Max was clearly ahead by a wide margin (LH front left took out Max's right rear). Since I've started watching, I've NEVER seen a driver in the lead going through a corner yield to a trailing rival, whether on the inside or outside.

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I can understand/respect that opinion, but don't have enough of a race fan or F1 background to know just how bad it was. It seemed like a clear mistake in the moment, but it was subsequent celebration and blaming Max for the wreck that really got me. I lost a huge amount of respect for LH after yesterday.

In the quotes I've seen in the aftermath, LH blames Max for the incident, expecting Max to have yielded the corner even though Max was clearly ahead by a wide margin (LH front left took out Max's right rear). Since I've started watching, I've NEVER seen a driver in the lead going through a corner yield to a trailing rival, whether on the inside or outside.
If you watch the replay you can see Max even steer further left to give Hamilton room to make the inside turn. Hamilton does no such move and just plows into max and takes a wide turn. You can see the proof in the exit where his car was on the very far side of the track and would have given Max zero room had he been able make the turn without being rammed.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
If you watch the replay you can see Max even steer further left to give Hamilton room to make the inside turn. Hamilton does no such move and just plows into max and takes a wide turn. You can see the proof in the exit where his car was on the very far side of the track and would have given Max zero room had he been able make the turn without being rammed.
Agreed. If I recall correctly, they broke down the driver view for Max, and the commentator pointed out how he actively steered away mid-turn to avoid collision, and Lewis didn't flinch.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I've paid attention to F1 off and on since the Schumacher days. I'm a fan of the Juventus soccer team, and the Angelli family that owns that team also owns Ferrari. So I generally stand with the Tifosi. I've been really impressed by Max over the past couple years and hope he can win the championship in '21. Lewis has become insufferable to me over time. But he gets a lot of slack from the British media.

@Birry The F1 developments have been interesting. The moving on from pure petrol has been a huge hurdle for many of these teams, as you can see by the dominance of the Mercedes team. It's been particularly detrimental to private teams (e.g. Williams) who have a long history of success in the sport. The electronics in the cars today have driven the cost up astronomically, and they just can't keep up with the big teams. This is one of the reasons Haas is dreadful. He's trying to approach it similar to NASCAR, and it's just another animal. As time rolls on though, it seems to drive more and more to a spec series. As an engineer this saddens me, as the draw of F1 to me is that the constructors are more to credit for the speed than the drivers. Hopefully the 2022 car will have enough flexibility to keep the engineering front and center. Otherwise it will be a similar product to Indy or NASCAR. If you look into the history of F1, there have been some crazy designs put onto the grid. Look no further than the Tyrrell P34. The thing had 6 wheels!

Also, if you're interested, Top Gear on BBC used to bring in F1 guys for interviews and a lap in the "reasonably priced car". I'm sure they still do it, but I quit watching when the fallout with Jeremy Clarkson happened and switched to Amazon's Grand Tour. The old episodes are great to watch if you're a car junkie like I am.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How Bottas only got a 5 place grid penalty is beyond me. Stroll I understand since he was reacting to what was in front of him, but Bottas essentially just torpedoed the field without braking.
And how about at Imola where Hamilton was able to recover into 2nd place due to an incredibly timed red flag when Russell and Bottas crashed? That was one of the mostly impossibly lucky things of all time.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Tokyo GP cancelled. There is an open slot on the calendar for Nov 19-21. I was reading an article a couple months ago that they might fill the slot with another American track. I'd welcome it. But that's just a rumor.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
So.....about that "race" yesterday..... I'm new to F1, but I've seen countless videos of them racing in those conditions in recent years. It seems odd that they elected to approach the event yesterday with such caution.

Can someone explain what happened, and why yesterday was different than previous wet track conditions they've raced in?

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
So.....about that "race" yesterday..... I'm new to F1, but I've seen countless videos of them racing in those conditions in recent years. It seems odd that they elected to approach the event yesterday with such caution.

Can someone explain what happened, and why yesterday was different than previous wet track conditions they've raced in?
F1 has had a historical issue with safety. It is only recently (within the last 30 years after Senna’s death) that the sport has become very conscious of their safety protocols. Yesterday’s race reminded me of Niki Lauda refusing to race in Tokyo due to rain safety conditions.

The biggest issue with the rain this weekend was the sheer relentlessness of it. It rained literally all weekend and the temperatures were in the 50’s, so the track wouldn’t dry very much even if the sun came out. Spa is also a long track, so the consistency of cars pushing water off the racing line wouldn’t necessarily hold up. Light cars would then hydro plane into the wall if they hit a spot of water.

Did you see the crash in the women’s gp? 6 cars all spun out in the same spot individually and slid into each other.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
F1 has had a historical issue with safety. It is only recently (within the last 30 years after Senna’s death) that the sport has become very conscious of their safety protocols. Yesterday’s race reminded me of Niki Lauda refusing to race in Tokyo due to rain safety conditions.

The biggest issue with the rain this weekend was the sheer relentlessness of it. It rained literally all weekend and the temperatures were in the 50’s, so the track wouldn’t dry very much even if the sun came out. Spa is also a long track, so the consistency of cars pushing water off the racing line wouldn’t necessarily hold up. Light cars would then hydro plane into the wall if they hit a spot of water.

Did you see the crash in the women’s gp? 6 cars all spun out in the same spot individually and slid into each other.
I get the safety side of it, but what I don't understand is why it seems so inconsistently applied. Here's an example from relatively recently where the conditions appeared pretty similar from a visibility standpoint, and not only did they race, there was plenty of passing going on! Also, keep in mind that the video below is Lap 56, so they had time to suck some water off the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnixyOK8uQ

I saw the Norris crash in Q3, which was obviously pretty nasty, but not sure it was due to hydroplaning. And like the commentators said, at some point you have to back off the accelerator in those conditions. You also can't eliminate risk when racing. It's inherent, and why we watch the sport.

It was definitely a tough call yesterday, and they probably made the right call. I was just curious what was so different compared to the many races I've seen in the wet.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I get the safety side of it, but what I don't understand is why it seems so inconsistently applied. Here's an example from relatively recently where the conditions appeared pretty similar from a visibility standpoint, and not only did they race, there was plenty of passing going on! Also, keep in mind that the video below is Lap 56, so they had time to suck some water off the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnixyOK8uQ

I saw the Norris crash in Q3, which was obviously pretty nasty, but not sure it was due to hydroplaning. And like the commentators said, at some point you have to back off the accelerator in those conditions. You also can't eliminate risk when racing. It's inherent, and why we watch the sport.

It was definitely a tough call yesterday, and they probably made the right call. I was just curious what was so different compared to the many races I've seen in the wet.
Spa is just one of the most dangerous races out there without weather. But I understand the questioning.
The W series crash if you haven’t seen it.
https://youtu.be/6F8KIH6oVCk