Force fed more crow

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
i cannot help but sit here thinking what Mike Gundy has done since being the head coach. i admit that I was not on board of him being the next head coach. I thought we should have went for a more experience. Never thought in a million years that he could get OSU in position to play for a national title.

2009 & 2010 seasons, my opinion change somewhat….Coach Gundy has done a pretty good job but did not convince me that he could come any closer to play for a natty. 2011…well crow was fed to me as we should have played for one if it wasn’t for SEC bias that kept us out. Few years afterwards, Coach Gundy kept us competitive. Knew we would have a down yr every now and then but competing at a higher level.

Do not know what went on behind the scenes…some of you know a lot more than I…it felt like he lost interest in coaching. At that point, I was thinking it’s time for a coaching change. I was saying it on Facebook and here that it’s time.

Last yr. I saw a change in Coach Gundy on the field. He looked more in tuned being the coach. Don’t know if it was his own soul searching after the Chiba rant? Or had discussions with the new administrations before it was announced? Or both….whatever it was it was good for OSU and for Coach Gundy.

2021 season….when the O/U on OSU win total came out 7.5, It’s insulting. I had OSU winning 9-10 regular season…10-11 counting bowl game. I honestly thought we were going to drop a game or two that we shouldn’t plus Bedlam(glad I’m wrong). Knew we had a chance to play for CCG….but I didn’t expect being 11-1 and possible playing in CFP. As I sit here, I’m glad that I am force fed crow once again. And lovin every bite.

Now let’s go bring home CCG trophy and kick butt in the playoffs.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Stand up Quality post...Real men (and women) can admit when they are wrong and make post like this...

Btw, I'm with you I think it's a combination of several things...

1. The new Administration and AD....I think Holder while very very good was seen as kind of negative and controlling by Gundy. Also Boone was seen as a huge positive but also a negative at the same time...too controlling and demanding in something he didn't understand (i.e. football operations). I think they were very concerned with money and our debit (a good thing but also a limiting thing). Gundy is a dreamer, clearly, and now he's been unfettered by management to dream again.

2. Soul searching in 2020 summer...I do also think you are correct that the Hubbard thing was a wake up call for him just to be more in touch with his players...show them he really does love each of them no matter their differences...Seeing him in the locker room with Charlie Dickie Jr. was a perfect example of a man changed and learning to love. People can see when it's real and when it's fake...it sometimes takes a trial for us to change and become who we should be...Mike had his, he survived it and now he's thriving as a new man.

3. Family...His son is on the team and the others are involved...I do think this matters. I would bet he wants to give his son the best possible college experience in terms of his football team and this just brings it even closer to home for Mike. I absolutely love that his oldest son shows up on the side line right at the end of big games and is always one of the first to love on his Dad in that way. The unconditional love of a father and son is beautiful when it develops but it is also a journey of disappointment and trial and it takes growth on the part of both "men" in order to make that happen. I know a thing or two about this journey....it's neat to see it on display with HCMG and his sons. It's VERY hard to raise boys these days.

Anyway, good on you for eating crow. I think we are seeing a man mature into what he should be, but wasn't completely. It's gives me hope personally.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I think a lot of us "olds" are permanently scarred by Bedlam. If we were smart, which I usually am, we would stay the hell away from game threads in general, and Bedlam game threads specifically. I have no idea what made me think crawling out of my hole and posting all the trauma and insecurities inflicted on me by Bedlam football over the past 40 years was a good idea. But I, along with a lot of others, did in that disastrous 3rd quarter. It's embarrassing now, but at the time, all you can think about is all the times we've let Bedlam slip away. The stakes were so high this year and we are so obviously better than OU, it was triggering as f**k. It was like 2013 revisited. Us "olds' will try to do better, but it's going to take a few more 2011 and 2021 for us to get there. We are a damaged bunch.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think a lot of us "olds" are permanently scarred by Bedlam. If we were smart, which I usually am, we would stay the hell away from game threads in general, and Bedlam game threads specifically. I have no idea what made me think crawling out of my hole and posting all the trauma and insecurities inflicted on me by Bedlam football over the past 40 years was a good idea. But I, along with a lot of others, did in that disastrous 3rd quarter. It's embarrassing now, but at the time, all you can think about is all the times we've let Bedlam slip away. The stakes were so high this year and we are so obviously better than OU, it was triggering as f**k. It was like 2013 revisited. Us "olds' will try to do better, but it's going to take a few more 2011 and 2021 for us to get there. We are a damaged bunch.
It’s funny cuse it’s true.

Sep 3, 2021
Canyon, TX USA
You are reading my mind.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
You are reading my mind.
I know. We’re all the same. The next optimistic 55+ yr old OSU football fan I meet will be my first. I think it does help us appreciate it more. So we have that going for us.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
It's not just the olds... Heck, I've only been part of the fanbase since Gundy took the reigns and even I'M scarred by Bedlam... I was in a constant internal battle of enjoying what was happening and dreading the choke...

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Good thing is, we won't have to play them much more if at all. Though I think with the turmoil their program is in right now, none of us would turn down the opportunity to play them another time or two with ALL the house money.

Sep 22, 2010
Allen, TX
1) You mean like in '83, when we had a 20-3 lead, gave up a big play for a late td, a two-point conversion to narrow the lead to 20-18, and then the OU kicker driving a low line drive into Chris Rockin's facemask and it bouncing right back into Scott Case's hands?
2) You mean like 1988 when we had a nice drive going to take the lead, Barry was driven out of bounds to set up 3rd and short, and then the ref throws a flag after the play and we get a BS dead ball, 15 yard penalty. Still, Gundy throws a strike to Brent Parker in the end zone and he drops it?
3) You mean like the time the Bell Dozer converted 4th and short after we hit him in the backfield?
4) Like the time it appeared we had an interception late in the game and replay ruled the ball dislodged as the DB hit the ground, and then OU then throws the winning TD pass?

These are the ones that come to mind without doing any research. But, no, I am not scarred for life. ;-)

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
1) You mean like in '83, when we had a 20-3 lead, gave up a big play for a late td, a two-point conversion to narrow the lead to 20-18, and then the OU kicker driving a low line drive into Chris Rockin's facemask and it bouncing right back into Scott Case's hands?
2) You mean like 1988 when we had a nice drive going to take the lead, Barry was driven out of bounds to set up 3rd and short, and then the ref throws a flag after the play and we get a BS dead ball, 15 yard penalty. Still, Gundy throws a strike to Brent Parker in the end zone and he drops it?
3) You mean like the time the Bell Dozer converted 4th and short after we hit him in the backfield?
4) Like the time it appeared we had an interception late in the game and replay ruled the ball dislodged as the DB hit the ground, and then OU then throws the winning TD pass?

These are the ones that come to mind without doing any research. But, no, I am not scarred for life. ;-)
Yep. And maybe Corndog's crappy throw on the 2 point conversion where the receiver was open. Maybe we should stop before we get too deep.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

As I read that list....

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Gawd THIS! So much of THIS!!!

Oct 1, 2006
Lagos, Nigeria
This x1000

Don't forget:
"Cale Mary" in 1990
The tie in 1992 (this one hurts especially bad because I was a student and we were all ready to storm the field and tear down the goalposts)
2010 when we had a much better team (like in 2013) but repeatedly crapped our pants then entire game
2017 when we had two touchdowns wiped off the board in the first five minutes of the game

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
This x1000

Don't forget:
"Cale Mary" in 1990
The tie in 1992 (this one hurts especially bad because I was a student and we were all ready to storm the field and tear down the goalposts)
2010 when we had a much better team (like in 2013) but repeatedly crapped our pants then entire game
2017 when we had two touchdowns wiped off the board in the first five minutes of the game
All of these reasons are why I felt like hyperventilating and curling up in the fetal position during the 3rd quarter of Saturday's game. Sooner magic/Poke choke was all happening again. And then.....it didn't happen. :thumbup: