Football Players Coming Back in 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
Where he talks about who will replace Amen, if D. Harper is really coming back, I think that question is answered. I think he is as good as Amen anyway, so I don't think we'll see much drop off. If not, we've recruited a ton of linebackers the last couple years, so surely we can find one from the group.
Agree. Harper is a beast. They are really high on Mason Cobb as well. LB will be fine.

Cam Murray is a stud but we're already deep at DL plus we'll get Clay back from injury and Jernigan back from opt out.

The only spot I'm worried about on D is replacing Rodarius at corner. Glad Holmes is coming back and Bernard is solid. Need one young guy to step up and be the third in the rotation.

All in all we should be just about the same on D next year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Guess I'm more worried than you on CB.
I didn't see much to be excited about with Holmes or Bernard. The young guys that filled in were worse.
Maybe put Harper back over there ?

But CB is a very tough position in Knowles scheme, so maybe I was just spoiled with Rodarius !

Jan 14, 2006
I didn't see much to be excited about with Holmes or Bernard. The young guys that filled in were worse.

But CB is a very tough position in Knowles scheme, so maybe I was just spoiled with Rodarius !
I thought we'd be in bad shape after AJ left but Rodarius really stepped up last year. Hopefully JBC or one of the youngsters can lock one side down.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
That's correct. Schools are typically limited to 85 scholarship players on a roster, but that rule is being suspended for the 2021 season to account for the returning seniors.
I'm curious how this plays out past 2021. With 2020 not counting against eligibility, the NCAA has essentially given every player 6 years to play 5.

A Freshman from the 2020 class, could play as a 3rd-year red-shirt Freshman in 2022 with Senior year as 2025. 6 years on the team.

6th year seniors will become a common thing for some schools. Especially for the great college player that isn't NFL material.

Aug 19, 2006
I'm curious how this plays out past 2021. With 2020 not counting against eligibility, the NCAA has essentially given every player 6 years to play 5.

A Freshman from the 2020 class, could play as a 3rd-year red-shirt Freshman in 2022 with Senior year as 2025. 6 years on the team.

6th year seniors will become a common thing for some schools. Especially for the great college player that isn't NFL material.
Probably just means schools may have more depth players for a while. NFL-caliber guys are going to be eager to move on.

Having said that, Malcolm Rodriquez is certainly more than a depth guy. He's an impact player at the college level. Maybe he develops a little further in the extra year and sets himself up with a better chance at playing at the next level.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

I think it's Kstate that has a transfer TE who will be in his 7th year of eligibility this season.

Mar 14, 2016
Gotham City
Corner will be an issue. Hopefully Holmes improves this off-season. JBC cant cover a soul. Go watch the tape. Since he has stepped on the field has been taken advantage of. A graduate transfer would be nice right about now.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Corner will be an issue. Hopefully Holmes improves this off-season. JBC cant cover a soul. Go watch the tape. Since he has stepped on the field has been taken advantage of. A graduate transfer would be nice right about now.
JBC actually played pretty well last season. The tape doesn’t lie..he makes a better corner than safety. There’s a reason why Holmes was the 3rd corner. I’m more concerned about Holmes improving than JBC. Holmes stayed getting toasted this last year.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Not sure what you are talking about, JBC was impressive this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa

The young guys lost an opportunity to get coached up and get snaps when the program cancelled spring practice. Given the Covid protocols of fall camp, it would've been astounding if the underclassmen showed a leap in ability at corner. Hopefully, everybody on the team gets inoculated before spring practice 2021. Then we should see the improvement you were hoping for.