Fly Fishing near Stillwater

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I am an incoming freshman at OSU and have been looking for some great areas to fly fish. What areas would y’all recommend?
Pawhuska has some I think
Lake Perry, too. Both of those are fairly close to Stillwater.

Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife
You'll need to perfect your tying of a fly that looks like a fish pellet to catch them on a fly in those lakes. ;)

Only places I know where you can entice a trout with a fly are Blue River and Lower Mt. Fork.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I am an incoming freshman at OSU and have been looking for some great areas to fly fish. What areas would y’all recommend?
Fellow fly fisherman here.

Unfortunately, Oklahoma pretty much sucks for trout on the fly. Like others have said, they put stocker rainbows in some of the lakes during the winter months. Blue River near Sulphur (about 1.5 hrs S. of OKC) gets stocked in the winter. Lower Mountain Fork around Broken Bow (far SE corner of the state) has a year round population. And you can catch them below the dam at Tenkiller (S. of Tulsa). I'm not sure if that's a year round fishery or not.

But, if your quarry is wider than trout, there are plenty of warmwater fisheries all over the state. IMO, bass on the fly beats trout every day and twice on Sunday. I don't think you'd have to work too hard to find a farm pond around Stillwater you could get access to. A 6 weight rod (you could probably get by with a 5), a white or chartreuse popper and a black Clouser, and a float tube (if you have one) will get you into plenty of bass (along with bluegill, crappie, catfish, etc. depending on the fishery) on any pond or lake in Oklahoma.