Fly fishing 2017

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Not sure if this thread had been started yet, but I spent about an hour this morning on my favorite private lake (literally 100 yards from my office on campus). I caught about a dozen nice bluegill and this one bass. He cool a #14 copper john. The rod is an Albright 3/4 wt (a Redington clone which, unfortunately, is no longer made). Ross Fly Start reel, Rio orange line (Go Pokes!), #6 Rio nylon leader, #6 flurocarbon tippet.

I started fly fishing a couple of years ago, still consider myself a novice. I got a lot of good advice on here about how to start. Specifically, someone (I can't remember who) recommended the Ross Fly Start reel and they were not wrong. It is the perfect reel for my light rig.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Looks like my fishing season may be over. I have three fractured vertebrae in my back. DOH!
Of all people, you should appreciate the practice of better living through chemistry. Pop some pills and get back to life and your fishing hole!:D
On a serious note, it could be worse. I've had two spinal fusions and a sacral cyst excision. Back pain and some physical limitations are inevitable, but I still do most of what I wish; just have to be a little smarter about how and how long.
Keep charging hell-bent-for-leather, or life will leave you drowning in pity. "I complained that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Of all people, you should appreciate the practice of better living through chemistry. Pop some pills and get back to life and your fishing hole!:D
On a serious note, it could be worse. I've had two spinal fusions and a sacral cyst excision. Back pain and some physical limitations are inevitable, but I still do most of what I wish; just have to be a little smarter about how and how long.
Keep charging hell-bent-for-leather, or life will leave you drowning in pity. "I complained that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."
I wish there will pills I could take to unfracture my vertebrae. I think a spinal fusion is somewhere in my future, whether near or far.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I wish there will pills I could take to unfracture my vertebrae. I think a spinal fusion is somewhere in my future, whether near or far.
My spinal fusion was one of the low points of my life. The depths of depression! My doctor, who was excellent, wanted me to be off for 4 months. Spent one month married to hospital bed and counting ceiling fan revolutions. Convinced him to let me return to work after two months. More fusions are inevitable; have not played golf in 4 years, but it gave me a new lease on life. Enjoying it while I can.

Dec 13, 2011
I just got back from a Colorado fishing vacation with my father in law. The two of us fished the Purgatoire, Conejos, Rio De Los Pinos, and La Jara. I caught 21 trout in a combo of mostly browns, a few rainbows including one nice bow and a couple brookies. I never have learned how to post pics or I would. I used a TFO 4 wt 2 piece 8ft rod with a Ross fly start reel on the big water. I used my TFO 2 wt 2 piece 6ft rod with a cabelas reel no drag on the small water. Fought and lost 15 + fish total and had a blast.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I just got back from a Colorado fishing vacation with my father in law. The two of us fished the Purgatoire, Conejos, Rio De Los Pinos, and La Jara. I caught 21 trout in a combo of mostly browns, a few rainbows including one nice bow and a couple brookies. I never have learned how to post pics or I would. I used a TFO 4 wt 2 piece 8ft rod with a Ross fly start reel on the big water. I used my TFO 2 wt 2 piece 6ft rod with a cabelas reel no drag on the small water. Fought and lost 15 + fish total and had a blast.

Dec 13, 2011
I just started fly fishing 3 years ago. We went to Branson and fished Taneycomo with a guide...that got me kinda hot to trot. The next fall my wife got me a guide trip on the Conejos for my birthday and it was all over from there. I've been 3 times now with no guides and I've finally started to figure things out. I still stink with spilt shot but my knots are much improved. I caught fish with a double nymph setup, a dry dropper or hopper dropper, and on a lone dry(my fav). I took my gopro this trip and I think I got 4 hookup with landed fish. I still need to get the wrist controls because I missed a few when I thought the camera was rolling. I keep thinking of ways that I can move up closer to Colorado to explore more, twice a year isn't cutting it. My father-in-law wasn't quite as fortunate as me, he caught 4 fish and probably miss 3 or 4.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
Any suggestions on starting a 12 year old in the world of fly fishing? He got a starter 5wt rod and reel which will have Rio 5wt weight forward floating line and leader / tippet materials. He also got a fly tying kit and learning some simple flies including some dry flies that incorporate foam.

He will mostly be fishing for small bass and panfish in a local pond as well as some trout in some of the Eastern Oklahoma trout streams. I got a similar setup for myself since I will be taking him to the trout streams. The other ponds are next to our house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Any suggestions on starting a 12 year old in the world of fly fishing? He got a starter 5wt rod and reel which will have Rio 5wt weight forward floating line and leader / tippet materials. He also got a fly tying kit and learning some simple flies including some dry flies that incorporate foam.

He will mostly be fishing for small bass and panfish in a local pond as well as some trout in some of the Eastern Oklahoma trout streams. I got a similar setup for myself since I will be taking him to the trout streams. The other ponds are next to our house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just get out there and do it! I was a little younger than that when I started flyfishing about 25 years ago. If I've learned anything, there's just no substitute for time on the water.

I only wish Youtube had existed way back then. There are lots of videos to teach the 12 year old how to set up her/his outfit and to take care of it (fly rods are notorious for getting snapped in car doors, etc.), and how to cast and read water. If he/she gets that down, the rest will fall into place with time.

In my experience of learning and later on in teaching/guiding, the steepest part of the learning curve is in remembering that the line casts itself (exactly the opposite of bait and gear fishing), and the caster's job is just to speed the line up and direct it where to go. That happens via tight loops and hauls (which is a more advanced technique). Right now, concentrate on little wrist movement (fly casting is more in the shoulder and elbow than the wrist) and positive, definite stops on the back and forward cast.

A 5 weight rod with a weight forward line is a good place to start. A medium fast rod is ideal for the beginner. That set up will cover at least 90% of flyfishing applications. The one thing I didn't see mentioned was leader and tippet. A 0x-1x tapered leader should do the trick for bass and bluegill, and then have some 12 or 15 pound test mono that can be used as tippet material as the leader gets shorter. 9 foot leaders are pretty standard, but bass and bluegill usually aren't leader shy, so 6.5 foot leaders will work as well, and can even be preferable if casting and retrieving bigger poppers. Learn how to tie a perfection loop, a double surgeon's knot and an improved clinch, and you'll be able to attach your leader to your fly line (perfection loop), tie on more tippet (double surgeon's) and tie on a fly (improved clinch).

And bass and bluegill are a great place to begin. They are usually willing to eat a well placed fly and they fight a million times better than even the biggest trout. I lived near more trout water than I could ever fish for almost ten years, and, for me, there's not much that beats floating a smallmouth stream (plenty of those in eastern OK) or kicking around a bass pond in the float tube.

IMG_20171103_103336696.jpg

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Not sure if you’ll be able to make them out but this is a picture from our Main Street bridge. There are about 30-40 largemouths schooling there are also trout and bluegill in the arroyo but not in this picture. Got this while out with dogs over lunch, they banned fly fishing outside of Shadow cliffs due to complaints but you can use ultra light and micro tackle no barbed hooks no live bait and a 5 minute c&r is strictly enforced. It’s only 5 minute walk from my house so I’m headed out for a micro hook up, I have ultra light but it’s still a 5 ft rod and that will make it difficult to use in the hole I have scoped out.
859F1061-7A57-492A-9659-78685721B290.jpeg

There’s a guy I know who caught a 2lb for on 5lb test this is a small area so that’s a good size bass

Mar 27, 2012
My brother and I explored a tiny Oklahoma stream earlier this week. Caught some smallmouth, spots and sunfish. Everything we caught is still swimming.

View attachment 62090 View attachment 62091 View attachment 62092
I am 100% catch and release since I don't like fish. Love to go fishing but I'm not cleaning, cooking, or eating it. EVER! I would rather catch 20 small ones and throw them all back as to catch one big one to keep. I have caught some "wall hangers" before but I just take a pic and throw them back. I'm too cheap to mount one. lol

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I am 100% catch and release since I don't like fish. Love to go fishing but I'm not cleaning, cooking, or eating it. EVER! I would rather catch 20 small ones and throw them all back as to catch one big one to keep. I have caught some "wall hangers" before but I just take a pic and throw them back. I'm too cheap to mount one. lol
Yeah, I will never keep a smallmouth or any fish from a small stream. It takes YEARS for a smallie to get to any real size in anything other than a lake or the biggest river. Those fish are too precious to take out, IMO. I always mash down my hook barbs as well. It's cost me some really nice bass that have thrown the hook, but so be it.

They are actually getting very good at making facsimile mounts now. All one has to do is have a picture and general measurements and they can create a really nice looking mount. The added bonus is that they don't deteriorate over time like the old school fish mounts will.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I only C&R. One of the things I love so much about fishing, as opposed to hunting, is that I can return the fish to the water unharmed. Letting a fish swim out of my hand in a stream is as much of a thrill as catching it.

Besides, cleaning fish is work.