FL HB 1557 (dubbed by critics as “don’t say gay)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Have you watched Peter Pan recently? It in no way holds up.

In regards to the bolded part, disability has long been used in film to signify someone is evil or the villain. It is a longstanding offensive trope.
Peter Pan and Captain Hook are a problem? Yet we have shows, that have so much violence that kids watch, than a 1953 cartoon. Is the hunchback of Notre Dame next?

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
“It in no way holds up”? Holds up to what?

Captain Hook is a pirate btw. Don’t think pirates are offended by a character having an eye patch. Or hand bitten by gator.
I can't help with your problem of not understanding what words mean. I'm sure you'll figure it out though.

Did I say anything about pirates? No, I said disabled. If you can't understand how decades of making villains identifiable by some sort of disfigurement or handicap and how that could impact an entire group of people then all I can recommend is you get out more.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I wasn't the one up in arms when a private company made a decision regarding how they disclaimer their own property.

EDIT: To remove the image as requested

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can't help with your problem of not understanding what words mean. I'm sure you'll figure it out though.

Did I say anything about pirates? No, I said disabled. If you can't understand how decades of making villains identifiable by some sort of disfigurement or handicap and how that could impact an entire group of people then all I can recommend is you get out more.
I bet you're a big cultural appropriation guy, right?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Have you watched Peter Pan recently? It in no way holds up.

In regards to the bolded part, disability has long been used in film to signify someone is evil or the villain. It is a longstanding offensive trope.
So you think its the hook that makes him a bad guy? I always thought it was because he was simply an asshole.

Dec 9, 2013
Gogetum. IMO you’ve posted some questionable content before but this crosses a line. We can disagree on politics but when you use a term that is offensive to a large population and their families it shows your true character. Can you please delete this meme?

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
From what I understand, the word problems reportedly used trans and crt characters in the word problems. I would like to have more clarification or an example as well.
"A steam engine, that identified as a diesel locomotive, left Denver at 12:14pm doing 42mph..."

Dec 9, 2013

As somebody who is the primary caregiver for a disabled family member I can honestly say speaking for our family only Captain Hook does not offend us. So they err here on the side of not wanting to offend anyone. Isn’t that ok? Wanting to be respectful sure seems like a better approach to life than being an asshat. Why does this cause people to get their panties bunched? What is offensive is the overall treatment in our society of disabled people.

We have traveled all over the US. From downtown NYC to DC to Seattle. From Chicago to the Rio Grand Valley. From Las Vegas to Denver to Phoenix. From Yellowstone to Gettysburg to Utah to the Gand Canyon. Nashville, Austin, San Antonio, Key West Tampa, Houston and New Orleans.

All by vehicle. And nowhere (and it’s not even a close 2nd) comes close to taking care of you, accommodating your disability and making you feel whole as Disney World. The way they have their accommodations set up and the way they treat you as guests is remarkable. I gladly spend our vacation dollars at Disney World and will continue to do so. It is vile and petty to see the treatment they are getting from some.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
As somebody who is the primary caregiver for a disabled family member I can honestly say speaking for our family only Captain Hook does not offend us. So they err here on the side of not wanting to offend anyone. Isn’t that ok? Wanting to be respectful sure seems like a better approach to life than being an asshat. Why does this cause people to get their panties bunched? What is offensive is the overall treatment in our society of disabled people.

We have traveled all over the US. From downtown NYC to DC to Seattle. From Chicago to the Rio Grand Valley. From Las Vegas to Denver to Phoenix. From Yellowstone to Gettysburg to Utah to the Gand Canyon. Nashville, Austin, San Antonio, Key West Tampa, Houston and New Orleans.

All by vehicle. And nowhere (and it’s not even a close 2nd) comes close to taking care of you, accommodating your disability and making you feel whole as Disney World. The way they have their accommodations set up and the way they treat you as guests is remarkable. I gladly spend our vacation dollars at Disney World and will continue to do so. It is vile and petty to see the treatment they are getting from some.
We also live in a day and age where offense and victimhood are sought out by many, so people might be a tad bit worn out by the constant combing through everything to glean out anything that could be deamed offensive to anyone.

You can blame that on some of the moral crusaders who were aghast that Gordon Ramsey had the nerve to open an Asian restaurant in NYC that, gasp!, employeed no Asian chefs when it opened. Blame it on Jussie Smollett, who's actions actually hurt the cause of fighting racism.

Dec 9, 2013
We also live in a day and age where offense and victimhood are sought out by many, so people might be a tad bit worn out by the constant combing through everything to glean out anything that could be deamed offensive to anyone.

You can blame that on some of the moral crusaders who were aghast that Gordon Ramsey had the nerve to open an Asian restaurant in NYC that, gasp!, employeed no Asian chefs when it opened. Blame it on Jussie Smollett, who's actions actually hurt the cause of fighting racism.
Victimhood comes from both sides. Yes there are crusaders but there’s a whole boat load of victimhood from the right.

Sep 3, 2010
Gogetum. IMO you’ve posted some questionable content before but this crosses a line. We can disagree on politics but when you use a term that is offensive to a large population and their families it shows your true character. Can you please delete this meme?
Done. Sorry bout that one. I didn’t even think about the last part of that first word and ,for what it’s worth, I never use that word. Apologies all around.