FL HB 1557 (dubbed by critics as “don’t say gay)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Funny how they get their arse in the air and lie about the Florida bill and then delete any reference to homosexuality to appease CHINA. :rolleyes:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/fantastic-beasts-3-dumbledore-china-1235128751/
I would imagine American liberals will be angry about that, too. The director and all but one writer/producer are British.

Edit: forgot to add that the progressive wing already dislikes JK Rowling because of her views on transgender women. I imagine there could be some related protests over this movie. Trans rights and support groups are boycotting it already.
Funny, but Disney (because they are more than just the Disney brand, i.e. touchstone) and other movie studios have done this for China for years. In other words, liberals are just now paying attention?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
This law isn't needed at all, how many teachers are teaching kids in those grades about sex. Or even mentioning it?

New Jersey says what?
"Starting in September, New Jersey first-graders will learn about gender identity under new sex education guidelines. Parents received sample lesson plans at a Westfield Board of Education meeting in February; one read, “You might feel like you’re a boy even if you have body parts that some people might tell you are ‘girl’ parts. You might feel like you’re a girl even if you have body parts that some people might tell you are ‘boy’ parts. And you might not feel like you’re a boy or a girl, but you’re a little bit of both. No matter how you feel, you’re perfectly normal!”

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcdiImWuA30/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
This is bizarre. I don’t know enough about CRT to have an informed opinion but it seems obvious the last place it would be brought up is in a math class. If they are banning social studies books I'd get it and probably be against in principle about book banning unless there was something blatant but math books? This seems like an Onion headline.

Edit: re reading the headline it says "CRT among its reasons". If the real reason is they books aren't useful and some obscure reference to CRT came up then I'm way more understanding. If that's the case the headline should have been Florida doesn't like crappy textbooks and any mention of CRT is bait. Shame on the headline if true.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This is bizarre. I don’t know enough about CRT to have an informed opinion but it seems obvious the last place it would be brought up is in a math class. If they are banning social studies books I'd get it and probably be against in principle about book banning unless there was something blatant but math books? This seems like an Onion headline.

Edit: re reading the headline it says "CRT among its reasons". If the real reason is they books aren't useful and some obscure reference to CRT came up then I'm way more understanding. If that's the case the headline should have been Florida doesn't like crappy textbooks and any mention of CRT is bait. Shame on the headline if true.
I'm curious too how CRT would be involved in a math textbook. All I've seen is the claim of it being there but I haven't seen them post any examples. So, we have no clue right now if it's just all BS and they're citing CRT where it's not or if it's actually in there.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I'm curious too how CRT would be involved in a math textbook. All I've seen is the claim of it being there but I haven't seen them post any examples. So, we have no clue right now if it's just all BS and they're citing CRT where it's not or if it's actually in there.
From what I understand, the word problems reportedly used trans and crt characters in the word problems. I would like to have more clarification or an example as well.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
From what I understand, the word problems reportedly used trans and crt characters in the word problems. I would like to have more clarification or an example as well.
The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, in which 71% of submitted materials were deemed inappropriate under Florida standards.
Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran has approved the states initial adoption list for mathematics textbooks after eliminating 41% of submitted materials considered “impermissible” due to new standards or for containing “prohibited topics.”
For grades K-12, Florida is initially not including 54 of the 132 (41%) submitted math textbooks on the state’s adopted list. The number of math books disapproved by the Florida Department of Education in the new adoption list is the most in Florida’s history, according to a news release sent out by the department.
“We’re going to ensure that Florida has the highest-quality instructional materials aligned to our nationally-recognized standards,” Corcoran said in a statement. “Florida has become a national leader in education under the vision and leadership of Governor DeSantis. When it comes to education, other states continue to follow Florida’s lead as we continue to reinforce parents’ rights by focusing on providing their children with a world-class education without the fear of indoctrination or exposure to dangerous and divisive concepts in our classrooms.”
When the FDOE reviewed the submitted materials to create the approved list, the department rejected textbooks that included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), included Common Core and featured the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics, according to a news release from the department.
The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, in which 71% of submitted materials were deemed inappropriate under Florida standards. For middle school grade levels, 6-8, 20% of materials were rejected, and for high school levels, 9-12, 35% of textbooks were disapproved of.

The department offered a breakdown of why the books were disapproved — 21%, or 28 textbooks, were not included because they “incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 9%, or 12 books, were not included because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards, and 11%, or 14 books, do not align with standards and incorporate prohibited topics.
Despite the large number of books excluded, the department ensured that every core mathematics course and grade is covered with at least one textbook.
The news of the banned textbooks comes after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law a bill that makes it easier for parents to challenge books and instructional materials they don’t approve of. Supporters of the legislation says it gives parents more involvement in their children’s education, but opponents argue it opens the door to massive book bans. To note, Florida has third largest number of school book ban incidents in the country.
“It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students,” DeSantis said in a statement. “I’m grateful that Commissioner Corcoran and his team at the Department have conducted such a thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law.”
However, opponents are pushing back following the approved textbook list announcement. Orange County Democratic Rep. Anna Eskamani took to Twitter to express her concern over the significant number of textbook rejections.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida Republican leaders are preparing to ban Algebra from high schools. They object to the subliminal use of [brackets] as an indoctrination to the concept of inclusion, they don’t like the equal sign, and they hate solving problems,” she wrote in a tweet.

Although not included on the state’s initial adopted list, publishers have the ability to appeal any non-adoption decision. Publishers also have the ability to substitute or revise submitted bids to be included on the state’s adopted list if the substitution or revision of submitted instructional materials ultimately meets Florida’s bid specifications.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...ed-for-k-12-instruction-cites-indoctrination/

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, in which 71% of submitted materials were deemed inappropriate under Florida standards.
Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran has approved the states initial adoption list for mathematics textbooks after eliminating 41% of submitted materials considered “impermissible” due to new standards or for containing “prohibited topics.”
For grades K-12, Florida is initially not including 54 of the 132 (41%) submitted math textbooks on the state’s adopted list. The number of math books disapproved by the Florida Department of Education in the new adoption list is the most in Florida’s history, according to a news release sent out by the department.
“We’re going to ensure that Florida has the highest-quality instructional materials aligned to our nationally-recognized standards,” Corcoran said in a statement. “Florida has become a national leader in education under the vision and leadership of Governor DeSantis. When it comes to education, other states continue to follow Florida’s lead as we continue to reinforce parents’ rights by focusing on providing their children with a world-class education without the fear of indoctrination or exposure to dangerous and divisive concepts in our classrooms.”
When the FDOE reviewed the submitted materials to create the approved list, the department rejected textbooks that included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), included Common Core and featured the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics, according to a news release from the department.
The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, in which 71% of submitted materials were deemed inappropriate under Florida standards. For middle school grade levels, 6-8, 20% of materials were rejected, and for high school levels, 9-12, 35% of textbooks were disapproved of.

The department offered a breakdown of why the books were disapproved — 21%, or 28 textbooks, were not included because they “incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT,” 9%, or 12 books, were not included because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards, and 11%, or 14 books, do not align with standards and incorporate prohibited topics.
Despite the large number of books excluded, the department ensured that every core mathematics course and grade is covered with at least one textbook.
The news of the banned textbooks comes after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law a bill that makes it easier for parents to challenge books and instructional materials they don’t approve of. Supporters of the legislation says it gives parents more involvement in their children’s education, but opponents argue it opens the door to massive book bans. To note, Florida has third largest number of school book ban incidents in the country.
“It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students,” DeSantis said in a statement. “I’m grateful that Commissioner Corcoran and his team at the Department have conducted such a thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law.”
However, opponents are pushing back following the approved textbook list announcement. Orange County Democratic Rep. Anna Eskamani took to Twitter to express her concern over the significant number of textbook rejections.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida Republican leaders are preparing to ban Algebra from high schools. They object to the subliminal use of [brackets] as an indoctrination to the concept of inclusion, they don’t like the equal sign, and they hate solving problems,” she wrote in a tweet.

Although not included on the state’s initial adopted list, publishers have the ability to appeal any non-adoption decision. Publishers also have the ability to substitute or revise submitted bids to be included on the state’s adopted list if the substitution or revision of submitted instructional materials ultimately meets Florida’s bid specifications.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...ed-for-k-12-instruction-cites-indoctrination/
So, what I read was accurate. I would like to see a book example.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
golly, I hope DeSantis runs for president in '24...seems like he's not an idiot at all, and truly cares for all people...

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Disney recently looked through its library of content in search of characters who might ooze offensive stereotypes.
According to the New York Times, Disney found both Tinker Bell and Captain Hook from the 1953 movie Peter Pan as “problematic” and labeled them as such in a message to senior leaders.
That’s right: Tinker Bell and Captain Hook are now offensive.
Disney says it marked Tinker Bell for caution because she is “body-conscious” and jealous of Peter Pan’s attention.

As for Captain Hook, Disney fears that he could expose the audience to — and this is too detailed not to quote — “discrimination or prejudice against individuals with disabilities because he is a villain.”

Disney’s “Stories Matter” team, which carried out the investigation into offensive characters, explained its decision making as follows:
We can’t change the past, but we can acknowledge it, learn from it and move forward together to create a tomorrow that today can only dream of.​

Sep 3, 2010
Disney recently looked through its library of content in search of characters who might ooze offensive stereotypes.
According to the New York Times, Disney found both Tinker Bell and Captain Hook from the 1953 movie Peter Pan as “problematic” and labeled them as such in a message to senior leaders.
Disney says it marked Tinker Bell for caution because she is “body-conscious” and jealous of Peter Pan’s attention.

As for Captain Hook, Disney fears that he could expose the audience to — and this is too detailed not to quote — “discrimination or prejudice against individuals with disabilities because he is a villain.”

Disney’s “Stories Matter” team, which carried out the investigation into offensive characters, explained its decision making as follows:
We can’t change the past, but we can acknowledge it, learn from it and move forward together to create a tomorrow that today can only dream of.​
It's beyond ridiculous.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI

Have you watched Peter Pan recently? It in no way holds up.

In regards to the bolded part, disability has long been used in film to signify someone is evil or the villain. It is a longstanding offensive trope.

Mar 11, 2006
Have you watched Peter Pan recently? It in no way holds up.

In regards to the bolded part, disability has long been used in film to signify someone is evil or the villain. It is a longstanding offensive trope.
“It in no way holds up”? Holds up to what?

Captain Hook is a pirate btw. Don’t think pirates are offended by a character having an eye patch. Or hand bitten by gator.