First Game Takeaways 2022 Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
The only mediocre stat was the completion percentage. That’s Spencer sanders level, & he’ll get that back up. But the rest is far from mediocre. 285 yards & three touchdowns in 2.5 quarters.

Nice W too!
I watched him for the first time yesterday, he was mediocre against a terrible team. Inaccurate on a lot of throws to open receivers.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
The only mediocre stat was the completion percentage. That’s Spencer sanders level, & he’ll get that back up. But the rest is far from mediocre. 285 yards & three touchdowns in 2.5 quarters.

Nice W too!
I watched him for the first time yesterday, he was mediocre against a terrible team. Inaccurate on a lot of throws to open receivers.
It was one of his more mediocre games for sure. Still had 285 yards, three tds. You gotta be good when that’s mediocre.

The worst part was that Spencer Sanders level completion .percentage that luckily isnt a habit this season.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
It was one of his more mediocre games for sure. Still had 285 yards, three tds. You gotta be good when that’s mediocre.

The worst part was that Spencer Sanders level completion .percentage that luckily isnt a habit this season.
Yeah, he's a lot like Spencer, only slower with a weaker arm...

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Oh, @Midnight Toker Your obsession with efficiency sure covered your face in egg this week.
Sanders did more in 1 quarter than Gabriel did in 3 quarters.

But that was to be expected. Sanders is clearly the best QB in the league and one of the best in the country.

So far this year Sanders leads Gabriel in every notable statistical category except for 1% difference in completion percentage, and he's done it in 9 quarters against 2 decent bowl teams and 1 weak team while Gabriel has played 11 quarters against 3 weak teams.

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Oh, @Midnight Toker Your obsession with efficiency sure covered your face in egg this week.

But that was to be expected. Sanders is clearly the best QB in the league and one of the best in the country.

So far this year Sanders leads Gabriel in every notable statistical category except for 1% difference in completion percentage, and he's done it in 9 quarters against 2 decent bowl teams and 1 weak team while Gabriel has played 11 quarters against 3 weak teams.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Stand by for change in narrative. :rolleyes:

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

It's far from an obsession- there's no reason to exaggerate my interest in it. But it is valid. if sanders played like this consistently, you'd care about efficiency.

Despite it really still Being too early in the season for this discussion, I'll play.

As far as sanders having done more in 1 qtr than Gabriel did during his game (he played a little over 2qtrs). this was probably the best game he's ever played. in his whole career. who cares that it's against a fcs team. im betting he does it again against baylor. At least, that's my expectation. So it will be disappointing if he reverts back to who he was before. I've just seen too much of the sub 60% completion and interception prone sanders to buy what you're selling right now. Great game against the fcs opponent though, it would have been bad if it wasnt a real solid stat line.

Anyway, in his most efficient game ever, sanders had 241 yards and 4 touchdowns. Gabriel, in a mediocre performance, still had 285 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sanders had 1 more touchdown, and 44 less yards. So that's not a completely true statement.

Interestingly, none of you are nearly as interested in talking defense this year as you were last year. that's too bad, would have been fun.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Where are they? They're subbing in their defensive reserves after we jump out to early leads every single game. You're really bragging that you're 4th in the conference after playing 3 JUCO-level teams? Wow, I remember the old days when OU took defense seriously.
OU played 70 players saturday, so the whole subbing in defensive reserves isnt something that only osu does. In fact, the leading tackler on the day was a freshman who didnt even start. It's a poor excuse for how badly the the defense has regressed from last season.

Defense is being taken seriously now in Norman. So far the OU starters have given up 2 touchdowns on the season and they didnt need to do it against any fcs teams. Last season they gave up 35 points to a 1 win tulane team. this season they've given up 30 points total in the first three games. That is going to be a dangerous team to face in when they figure it out! they arent anywhere near the team today that they will be a month from now.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
OU played 70 players saturday, so the whole subbing in defensive reserves isnt something that only osu does. In fact, the leading tackler on the day was a freshman who didnt even start. It's a poor excuse for how badly the the defense has regressed from last season.

Defense is being taken seriously now in Norman. So far the OU starters have given up 2 touchdowns on the season and they didnt need to do it against any fcs teams. Last season they gave up 35 points to a 1 win tulane team. this season they've given up 30 points total in the first three games. That is going to be a dangerous team to face in when they figure it out! they arent anywhere near the team today that they will be a month from now.
Combined halftime scores through 3 games:
OSU: 113-32 (+81)
OU: 70-20 (+50)
Safe to say our subs have been in way earlier than yours.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
It's far from an obsession- there's no reason to exaggerate my interest in it. But it is valid. if sanders played like this consistently, you'd care about efficiency.

Despite it really still Being too early in the season for this discussion, I'll play.

As far as sanders having done more in 1 qtr than Gabriel did during his game (he played a little over 2qtrs). this was probably the best game he's ever played. in his whole career. who cares that it's against a fcs team. im betting he does it again against baylor. At least, that's my expectation. So it will be disappointing if he reverts back to who he was before. I've just seen too much of the sub 60% completion and interception prone sanders to buy what you're selling right now. Great game against the fcs opponent though, it would have been bad if it wasnt a real solid stat line.

Anyway, in his most efficient game ever, sanders had 241 yards and 4 touchdowns. Gabriel, in a mediocre performance, still had 285 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sanders had 1 more touchdown, and 44 less yards. So that's not a completely true statement.

Interestingly, none of you are nearly as interested in talking defense this year as you were last year. that's too bad, would have been fun.
You can't win on QB totals and you cant win on efficiency.
Sanders didn't play a game. He played a quarter. He was vastly better than Gabriel this week and has been on the year. You literally have nothing.
Small and fairly irrelevant sample size so far, especially when OU's opponents have been cupcakes. But even still, you'd be in here crowing if your guy was the one playing better.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Combined halftime scores through 3 games:
OSU: 113-32 (+81)
OU: 70-20 (+50)
Safe to say our subs have been in way earlier than yours.

Dang it, if only games stopped at halftime, this would be something.

You can't win on QB totals and you cant win on efficiency.
Sanders didn't play a game. He played a quarter. He was vastly better than Gabriel this week and has been on the year. You literally have nothing.
Small and fairly irrelevant sample size so far, especially when OU's opponents have been cupcakes. But even still, you'd be in here crowing if your guy was the one playing better.
Wins are a team metric. Just about everything else for a qb is an individual measurement of their ability. That's why the nfl cares so much about them in their evaluations in who they draft.

Small and completely irrelevant sample sizes so far. I'm not the one bringing up qb smack talk 3 weeks into the season when the playbook isnt even past page 3 yet. It was one of you. I just played along.

I suspect, just like the asinine recruiting smack talk in June, that you guys wont be nearly as interested in this particular discussion by December as you are right now.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Dang it, if only games stopped at halftime, this would be something.
It is something, in reference to how early in games we've been calling off the dogs, while OU is still locked in a battle into the 3rd quarter.

Wins are a team metric. Just about everything else for a qb is an individual measurement of their ability. That's why the nfl cares so much about them in their evaluations in who they draft.

Small and completely irrelevant sample sizes so far. I'm not the one bringing up qb smack talk 3 weeks into the season when the playbook isnt even past page 3 yet. It was one of you. I just played along.

I suspect, just like the asinine recruiting smack talk in June, that you guys wont be nearly as interested in this particular discussion by December as you are right now.
So why don't you leave and come back then, since you can't sustain a knowledgeable football discussion now?

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
[
I'm not the one bringing up qb smack talk 3 weeks into the season when the playbook isnt even past page 3 yet.
You're correct for once, you started the qb smack talk back in January.
Ah still stuck with him. Nothing big on the horizon giving you an impression of a bright future for the program?

Is that a legit statement, do you honestly.... do you truly feel that osu has one of the best qb situations in the country?

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
[

You're correct for once, you started the qb smack talk back in January.
Actually it was cowbell who started that in January. You found the post that I used as a response. I was talking down on sanders months before the season started, not comparing the two guys' production 3 weeks into the season.

We have the Big 12 1st team QB coming back and a proven backup in Illingworth who has another year in the system and didn't burn his redshirt this year. Gundy's son behind him, and yeah, several offers out. We have one of the best QB situations in the country. :pistols:
Then I made a prediction.

......But I could be wrong, he could have some crazy transformation this off-season. In my opinion, unless you bring a Georgia like defense to the table, you really need a dependable play maker at QB to win.

I would be very surprised to see him out perform Dillon Gabriel next season. I will even make you a deal. Remember this, you will receive a gift l from me if Sanders has a better season than Gabriel. Injuries aside
And week 3 is a bad place to judge my statement.