First Game Takeaways 2022 Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
First off, youre the one who is talking shit on him even though it's been two games. It's way too early for this talk but you started it.

I'm simply showing you how inefficient sanders is. Throwing the ball more times doesnt make him better, it makes him less efficient. But he's always been an inefficient passer and Gabriel has been quite efficient so far. Pretty basic concept, if Gabriel and sanders had the same number of attempts, Gabriel would also have more yards and more touchdowns. Should be an easy concept to grasp for you.

Dont forget:

So far Gabriel has a higher completion percentage, 70.6% to 62.0%
Higher yards per pass, of 10.4 vs 8.5
A higher passer rating of 190.1 compared to sanders 156.2
Just starting dialogue because with your snugglebuddy Gooner banned, you've been unable to sustain a conversation and post junk replies like "Yep" "OK" "Cool". Why even come here if you can't hang?

I agree that our offense hasn't gone vertical much yet. More plays via a methodical offense for experience early in the year is the same formula that rounded us into a NY6 Bowl Champ last year. Gundy knows exactly what he's doing.

By your thinking, if Gabriel threw 2x more, he'd have 2x more production. That's just dumb and not how football works. If it was, every coach would have their QB airing it out downfield 100 times a game.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Just starting dialogue because with your snugglebuddy Gooner banned, you've been unable to sustain a conversation.

I agree that our offense hasn't gone vertical much yet. More plays via a methodical offense for experience early in the year is the same formula that rounded us into a NY6 Bowl Champ last year. Gundy knows exactly what he's doing.
That's not conversation. That's you trying to find someway of experiencing superiority by making something up that's so easily proved wrong. After 2 games where the O has played intentionally vanilla. You gotta do better than this. OF COURSE a guy with 28 more attempts after just 2 games is going to have more yards and touchdowns. But when you got that many more attempts and only 1 more touchdown, it shows the inefficiency, which is why you dont want to go there.

By your thinking, if Gabriel threw 2x more, he'd have 2x more production. That's just dumb and not how football works. If it was, every coach would have their QB airing it out downfield 100 times a game.
No, my thinking doesn't mean him throwing it 2x more means 2x production. That IS dumb and that is NOT how it works.

My thinking is he completes a higher percentage of his passes, so he'd naturally have more yards with the same number of attempts. And since he throws touchdowns at a higher rate, he'd also have more touchdowns. you're the one bringing up a false equivalency. I'm simply identifying the lack of efficiency in sanders' game that you have a tendency to ignore.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
That's not conversation. That's you trying to find someway of experiencing superiority by making something up that's so easily proved wrong. After 2 games where the O has played intentionally vanilla. You gotta do better than this. OF COURSE a guy with 28 more attempts after just 2 games is going to have more yards and touchdowns. But when you got that many more attempts and only 1 more touchdown, it shows the inefficiency, which is why you dont want to go there.

No, my thinking doesn't mean him throwing it 2x more means 2x production. That IS dumb and that is NOT how it works.

My thinking is he completes a higher percentage of his passes, so he'd naturally have more yards with the same number of attempts. And since he throws touchdowns at a higher rate, he'd also have more touchdowns. you're the one bringing up a false equivalency. I'm simply identifying the lack of efficiency in sanders' game that you have a tendency to ignore.
By your thinking that efficiency is better than production, Gabriel is the better runner, too, huh?

25 attempts, 111 yards, 3 TDs
vs.
10 attempts, 10 yards, 1 TD

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

By your thinking that efficiency is better than production, Gabriel is the better runner, too, huh?

25 attempts, 111 yards, 3 TDs
vs.
10 attempts, 10 yards, 1 TD
Nope. Sanders is more mobile. Gabriel is a better passer.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina

Factor in drops by receivers to get the true efficiency of each quarterback. One OSU player alone had 4 drops last week if I am not mistaken. Couldn’t say if Gabriel has had many drops since I don’t watch your team play.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Factor in drops by receivers to get the true efficiency of each quarterback. One OSU player alone had 4 drops last week if I am not mistaken. Couldn’t say if Gabriel has had many drops since I don’t watch your team play.
Okay, show me the data and we can do that.

Sanders is pretty average as a player though. Statistically, he's been quite mediocre. But I get it, you like him anyway, it's sports. you'll defend your guy no matter what.

This is your favorite qb in 2021. This is how bad the qbs were in 2021 if this is the guy the big 12 writers voted as the best in conference:

9th in the big 12 in qb rating
9th in completion percentage
9th in yards per pass
10th in interceptions
3rd in touchdown passes
3rd in pass yards

Interestingly his longest play of the year was 52 yards. 16 different big 12 qbs had a longer play.

So anyway, very mediocre with low efficiency. Just what he always has been. He lead the conference in 0 categories with the exception of qb rush yards by virtue of the fact that williams didnt start until october.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Sanders is pretty average as a player though. Statistically, he's been quite mediocre. But I get it, you like him anyway, it's sports. you'll defend your guy no matter what.

This is your favorite qb in 2021. This is how bad the qbs were in 2021 if this is the guy the big 12 writers voted as the best in conference:

9th in yards per pass
10th in interceptions
3rd in touchdown passes
3rd in pass yards

Interestingly his longest play of the year was 52 yards. 16 different big 12 qbs had a longer play.

So anyway, very mediocre with low efficiency. Just what he always has been. He lead the conference in 0 categories with the exception of qb rush yards by virtue of the fact that williams didnt start until october.
You continue to think the quarterback position is defined by being a dropback downfield passer, not being a good football player. Why do YOU think he was chosen as the best QB in the conference last year? Aside from the fact that every other QB in the conference was garbage. I mean, he must have done SOMETHING to earn the accolades rather than just performing in a giant void of suckiness in the middle of the country.

What's his ranking in those stats in 2022?

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

9th in yards per pass
10th in interceptions
3rd in touchdown passes
3rd in pass yards

You continue to think the quarterback position is defined by being a dropback downfield passer, not being a good football player. Why do YOU think he was chosen as the best QB in the conference last year? Aside from the fact that every other QB in the conference was garbage. I mean, he must have done SOMETHING to earn the accolades rather than just performing in a giant void of suckiness in the middle of the country.

What's his ranking in those stats in 2022?
I’m simply identifying how mediocre he is statistically.

Might make for a good coach one day maybe. But this is his peak as a player.

It’s more of an indictment on the rest of the conference when the “best” is a 62% passer with only 20 touchdowns to 12 interceptions & the 9th best passer rating out of 10. That’s like a g5 kinda all conference qb.

This used to be a conference with excellent quarterback play, and it’s been pretty mediocre in 2021. With the exception of Williams who only played half a season, he probably could have been in NYC at the Heisman ceremony if he played all year.

That just comes to remind me how average quarterback play at OSU has been under Gundy. This guy is supposed to know quarterbacks better than any other position and he’s only had a couple real good ones in 17 seasons as hc.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

It’s more of an indictment on the rest of the conference when the “best” is a 62% passer with only 20 touchdowns to 12 interceptions & the 9th best passer rating out of 10. That’s like a g5 kinda all conference qb.

This used to be a conference with excellent quarterback play, and it’s been pretty mediocre in 2021. With the exception of Williams who only played half a season, he probably could have been in NYC at the Heisman ceremony if he played all year.

That just comes to remind me how average quarterback play at OSU has been under Gundy. This guy is supposed to know quarterbacks better than any other position and he’s only had a couple real good ones in 17 seasons as hc.
So you're not going to answer my Qs?

I agree top to bottom the conference used to have better QB play. Tech was an air raid, OSU put up unreal offensive stats, OU reaped the rewards of some Rent-A-QB transfers, and Baylor had a couple stars. But the defenses caught up. Gundy knew this and was way ahead of the curve. Shifting schollys to D and becoming the best D the conference has seen in a while. Gundy doesn't give a damn anymore what people, especially people like you, think of him so he's OK with being innovative instead of bragging about it.

But enough trying to change the subject. Venables would straight up kick Gabriel off the team if it meant it would open up a spot for Spencer Sanders.

Sep 3, 2022
Oklahoma
What you can't read?

You said Nebraska would be a good test for OU, and I said if OU is tested by Nebraska then it is going to be a long season, because Nebraska is terrible. I didn't say Nebraska would test OU, you said that. I said Arkansas Pine Bluff would probably beat Nebraska, that's how bad Nebraska is right now.

I know reading is hard for you, but try to keep up gooner.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Sanders is pretty average as a player though.
Speaking of mediocre....this vs. the 126th ranked defense in the nation.
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
16/27 . 230. . 8.5 . 2 . 0
But don't let stats get in your way.
The only mediocre stat was the completion percentage. That’s Spencer sanders level, & he’ll get that back up. But the rest is far from mediocre. 285 yards & three touchdowns in 2.5 quarters.

Nice W too!

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

I agree top to bottom the conference used to have better QB play. Tech was an air raid, OSU put up unreal offensive stats, OU reaped the rewards of some Rent-A-QB transfers, and Baylor had a couple stars. But the defenses caught up. Gundy knew this and was way ahead of the curve. Shifting schollys to D and becoming the best D the conference has seen in a while. Gundy doesn't give a damn anymore what people, especially people like you, think of him so he's OK with being innovative instead of bragging about it.

But enough trying to change the subject. Venables would straight up kick Gabriel off the team if it meant it would open up a spot for Spencer Sanders.
Lol. Venables isn’t that stupid. Jesus Christ dude

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

Speaking of defense…Where’s okie state?