FBI raiding Mar A Lago

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
When I see Biden still has a 39% approval rating I always wonder, how could that even be? Reading this thread I think I know.
I would vote for almost any president since Carter over Biden, but I also don't think he's been the dumpster fire that conservatives seem to ardently believe. An approval rating that high is about what a mediocre president gets because it's almost purely partisan support.

I'll also cop to the fact that the recent legislation is a big deal. Big enough that it certainly seems plausible that Republicans blocked the PACT act as retaliation (a move I 100% think democrats would do, too). He's gotten way more passed than I thought he would. That could very easily reflect my low expectations more than anything.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
He’s had them for over 18 months. If they are that that sensitive why was he allowed to leave with them? Why haven’t they kicked down his door long before now to get them? None of this makes any sense.

It’s also the year 2022. Why is the government still using paper copies of sensitive documents anyway?
Because air gapping sensitive material is actually more secure than having it on a computer. This is common sense.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
He’s had them for over 18 months. If they are that that sensitive why was he allowed to leave with them? Why haven’t they kicked down his door long before now to get them? None of this makes any sense.
I worked on the BP oil spill as a contractor. At the end of the process, they requisitioned the laptop and other media used during the spill response. I had to sign statements that I was giving them all data related to the incident (including any copies I made). They had no way of knowing for sure I had done so.

My guess is the transition of administrations is similar. Trump could have had boxes of confidential documents mixed in with stuff he was authorized to take. Some of it could have been at Mar-A-Lago long before the end of his administration.

Why did they request he return the documents and not barge in earlier to get them? No idea. I’m sure they were t trying to avoid a media spectacle, because that would NEVER happen.

It’s also the year 2022. Why is the government still using paper copies of sensitive documents anyway?
One word: Hackers.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I worked on the BP oil spill as a contractor. At the end of the process, they requisitioned the laptop and other media used during the spill response. I had to sign statements that I was giving them all data related to the incident (including any copies I made). They had no way of knowing for sure I had done so.

My guess is the transition of administrations is similar. Trump could have had boxes of confidential documents mixed in with stuff he was authorized to take. Some of it could have been at Mar-A-Lago long before the end of his administration.

Why did they request he return the documents and not barge in earlier to get them? No idea. I’m sure they were t trying to avoid a media spectacle, because that would NEVER happen.

One word: Hackers.
If it takes 18 months to discover documents are missing or even a year later with the stuff turned over in February, that should make us all feel very confident in the current system. Obviously the security is not very stringent.

May 31, 2007
Concord
I just thought a previously posted comment was humorous that stated, in part, "the DOJ is playing by rules intended to ensure fair treatment for targets of investigations". Intended to ensure fair treatment for targets of investigations?? It might help for comparison to show me a comparable level of investigation and scrutiny completed on someone who perhaps is a registered Democrat?
It has nothing to do with Republican / Democrat. There have been Republican presidents over the past 50 years that have done far worse morally & legally than Trump and they got a pass just like the Bidens.

The problem for Trump is that he made a lot of enemies and didn’t “play the game”, yet expects to be treated the same as the people that did play the game. That’s just not realistic.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Are they produced on a computer or are we still using manual typewriters?
If it takes 18 months to discover documents are missing or even a year later with the stuff turned over in February, that should make us all feel very confident in the current system. Obviously the security is not very stringent.
You know, it is kinda strange that someone with so little common sense would have that word in their profile name.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
It has nothing to do with Republican / Democrat. There have been Republican presidents over the past 50 years that have done far worse morally & legally than Trump and they got a pass just like the Bidens.

The problem for Trump is that he made a lot of enemies and didn’t “play the game”, yet expects to be treated the same as the people that did play the game. That’s just not realistic.
Spin it how you want, and take out the labels of R and D if it makes you feel better. But my response remains the same, that quote to which I provided the comment is just flat out wrong and I detailed why. Perhaps you'd like to also take a crack at providing a genuinely honest response to the question I presented to Hackleman earlier?

Dec 9, 2013

Because Mango Muselini can’t figure out how to use his iPad except for twitter.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
You know, it is kinda strange that someone with so little common sense would have that word in their profile name.
Documents produced on a computer cannot be stored on a computer because it may be hacked? In that case I hope the authoring computer is not connected to a network and brag may be the case.

A former president is allowed to walk out with 30+ boxes of documents that are so sensitive to national security that it requires the first FBI raid on a former president in history in order to get them back after they were discovered missing 18 months later? Yes this sounds like a system of document security we should all have great faith in.

Dec 9, 2013
You seem like a reasonable guy who uses common sense, so I'll ask you a simple question and request you to be honest in your response: Not changing anything regarding the subject matter, if this business between Joe and Hunter was actually Donald and one of his sons, do you believe the media and DOJ would be treating it exactly as they are right now?
First the DoJ. We are way too early to cast any judgement on how the DoJ would proceed. Let’s see what the end result is. My honest feeling is that there was sensitive info deemed a NatSec risk that trump had. What else was the FBI supposed to do? Just leave it laying at MAL? They asked for a return of all info. He had his chance multiple times. This is on him. According to what I’ve read the FBI showed up in plain clothes w side arms. They were respectful to staff and had attorneys present. I’ve also read where agents are reqWhat would you have done?

Media would be just the same but reversed depending on the MSNBC/CNN team vs the Fox/OAN team.

I exclusively watch ABCWorld News at 5:30 and not much else and find them to be pretty balanced It’s just 30 minutes of straight news w no opinion guests. They’ve been harsh to Biden at times.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Documents produced on a computer cannot be stored on a computer because it may be hacked? In that case I hope the authoring computer is not connected to a network and brag may be the case.

A former president is allowed to walk out with 30+ boxes of documents that are so sensitive to national security that it requires the first FBI raid on a former president in history in order to get them back after they were discovered missing 18 months later? Yes this sounds like a system of document security we should all have great faith in.
OK. If you think that’s the big story here, then I overestimated your intelligence. And that’s saying something.