Fall Camp Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Robert Allen was on the SicEm365 podcast last week and there were some interesting tidbits he shared. He talked about stopping by the facility for a summer workout and talking with Coach Glass about the team, expectations, etc.

The one guy he mentioned that stood out was Tyrone Webber. He noted that when he got to campus Webber looked like a "shabby TE" but he's since bulked up and has been looking really good throughout the summer. He said Webber is now over 300 lbs and should be the starting LG.

With the Birmingham injury rumors, that spot was an area of major concern. If Webber is solid and can lock that down, the interior of the oline should be solid.

Tyrone Webber - Preston Wilson - Hunter Woodard

That's a strong interior group. Hopefully we can get good play from a few tackles and avoid the injury bug.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2012
Good news on the OL!
I’m most excited about this WR group. They produced well last year for being so young. I really think Bray has the potential to be a big time college WR! Presley will keep getting his. JPR is a great route runner with great hands. Add Johnson back into the mix who was just starting to break out before the injury and then if Shettron can add some value as a true fresh, this group can be lethal!

Nov 6, 2010
Robert Allen was on the SicEm365 podcast last week and there were some interesting tidbits he shared. He talked about stopping by the facility for a summer workout and talking with Coach Glass about the team, expectations, etc.

The one guy he mentioned that stood out was Tyrone Webber. He noted that when he got to campus Webber looked like a "shabby TE" but he's since bulked up and has been looking really good throughout the summer. He said Webber is now over 300 lbs and should be the starting LG.

With the Birmingham injury rumors, that spot was an area of major concern. If Webber is solid and can lock that down, the interior of the oline should be solid.

That's a strong interior group. Hopefully we can get good play from a few tackles and avoid the injury bug.

I've got it from an excellent source that Miterko is starting at LG, at least as of right now.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

I've got it from an excellent source that Miterko is starting at LG, at least as of right now.
Interesting. Could be a good sign of depth on the line.

By chance, has that source given any insight on the tackle spots?

Nov 18, 2010
Hyperbolic? Perhaps. But if we're going there I might say MR was our best linebacker since John Corker.
I don't know what MR did differently than other guys, but it had to be something in his tackling technique. They say he wasn't physically as big as a proto-type linebacker, so maybe his wrestling background taught him leverage or body control or I don't know what. But somebody should break down MR's tackling techniques and teach it to our other linebackers.
If you got a hand on you, you were going to the ground.

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know what MR did differently than other guys, but it had to be something in his tackling technique. They say he wasn't physically as big as a proto-type linebacker, so maybe his wrestling background taught him leverage or body control or I don't know what. But somebody should break down MR's tackling techniques and teach it to our other linebackers.
If you got a hand on you, you were going to the ground.
Certainly his tackling was as good as it gets, but I think his athleticism is glossed over. Remember, several were saying he was the best athlete ever to come out of Wagoner, and OSU/NFL cornerback K. Peterson had just come out of Wagoner a few years earlier. He also ran I believe the 3rd fastest 40 for all LB's at the combine. The only thing he doesn't have is the prototype size.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Another thing of note from the aforementioned RA interview:

Tyler Lacy is hovering around 300 lbs and he's expected to play a lot more on the interior (3 tech). Not super surprising but makes sense and certainly gets the best guys on the field during passing downs.

Jan 14, 2006
Sounds like we're pretty set on the interior with some combination of:
Wilson/Michalski at C
Woodard/Webber/Miterko/Brooks at G

Now let's get the T situation sorted out and we're good to go.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Good news on the OL!
I’m most excited about this WR group. They produced well last year for being so young. I really think Bray has the potential to be a big time college WR! Presley will keep getting his. JPR is a great route runner with great hands. Add Johnson back into the mix who was just starting to break out before the injury and then if Shettron can add some value as a true fresh, this group can be lethal!
Lets not forget the Green twins as well…..I really liked this WR group as well.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
It’s not specifically OSU’s fall camp news, but related. Day 5 camp observations on different topics by a couple of Lions beat writers.

Instincts: Rookie linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez continues to impress me. He has great instincts for a young player. He diagnoses things happening in front of him quickly and then just goes. He blew up a screen play and had a tackle for loss in a team period Monday. – Tim Twentyman

Coaches' eyes on Malcolm Rodriguez
Ahead of practice, both coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn identified rookies Malcolm Rodriguez and James Houston as players they were looking forward to watching in pads today. Houston saw a few splash plays, getting in on run fits and even dropping into coverage, but he looked about what you'd expect from a rookie in pads for the first time.

Rodriguez, on the other hand, was able to flash his instincts and intelligence, showing zero hesitation in his decision-making. Combine that with his fearless aggressiveness and the Lions definitely have something to work with.

Now, he is still repping with the reserves, but he quickly identifies correct gaps and crashes them with force. When the Lions tried a screen play to his side, he slipped past his blocks and was at the pass catcher's side at the same time the ball arrived

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2008
It’s not specifically OSU’s fall camp news, but related. Day 5 camp observations on different topics by a couple of Lions beat writers.

Instincts: Rookie linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez continues to impress me. He has great instincts for a young player. He diagnoses things happening in front of him quickly and then just goes. He blew up a screen play and had a tackle for loss in a team period Monday. – Tim Twentyman

Coaches' eyes on Malcolm Rodriguez
Ahead of practice, both coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn identified rookies Malcolm Rodriguez and James Houston as players they were looking forward to watching in pads today. Houston saw a few splash plays, getting in on run fits and even dropping into coverage, but he looked about what you'd expect from a rookie in pads for the first time.

Rodriguez, on the other hand, was able to flash his instincts and intelligence, showing zero hesitation in his decision-making. Combine that with his fearless aggressiveness and the Lions definitely have something to work with.

Now, he is still repping with the reserves, but he quickly identifies correct gaps and crashes them with force. When the Lions tried a screen play to his side, he slipped past his blocks and was at the pass catcher's side at the same time the ball arrived
https://twitter.com/lions/status/1554260949682601984?s=21&t=9AWYU-lXR_LTmrLjScWRYg

Here he is blowing up the screen on the official Lions Twitter account. Not a bad start young man!!