Fall Camp Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
We have a lot of strong candidates to fill this role though including a 4 star recruit in Aden Kelly.
We have a lot of candidates…yes!! Proven?? Absolutely not and I wouldn’t classify unproven candidates as “strong”. Maybe one of them will surprise!! I think we’ll be okay but we’ll be a little soft in the middle compared to last year

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We have a lot of candidates…yes!! Proven?? Absolutely not and I wouldn’t classify unproven candidates as “strong”. Maybe one of them will surprise!! I think we’ll be okay but we’ll be a little soft in the middle compared to last year
Well considering at this point last year guys like Oliver and even Antwine were unproven I am not sure it is that big of a deal. We actually have some more potential guys for the position than we did at this time last year. Also my wording is sound as anyone that is a classified as a candidate is unproven. If they were proven then they would not be a candidate.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Well considering at this point last year guys like Oliver and even Antwine were unproven I am not sure it is that big of a deal. We actually have some more potential guys for the position than we did at this time last year. Also my wording is sound as anyone that is a classified as a candidate is unproven. If they were proven then they would not be a candidate.
Oliver’s aren’t necessarily the norm. Antwine has always been proven, just didn’t get the recognition. We have plenty of DE’s. Our interior isn’t no where as strong as edge rushers. Evers is solid but undersized and can be moved. Asi, Ross, Kelly, Tuihalamaka, clay, the JUCO transfer aren’t near the same category as our DEs. None of those guys hold a candle to Antwine when it comes to stopping the run IMO

Nov 6, 2010
Oliver’s aren’t necessarily the norm. Antwine has always been proven, just didn’t get the recognition. We have plenty of DE’s. Our interior isn’t no where as strong as edge rushers. Evers is solid but undersized and can be moved. Asi, Ross, Kelly, Tuihalamaka, clay, the JUCO transfer aren’t near the same category as our DEs. None of those guys hold a candle to Antwine when it comes to stopping the run IMO
This is going to be the most interesting part of this season, to see just how much the defense drops off given the loss of so many good players at all 3 levels, not to mention Knowles. But even out of the guys we lost, not a single high draft pick in the group. So it's not out of the question to think we can reload at least to the point of not falling off too much. Linebacker is the obvious position of most concern. I know everyone is pretty high on Cobb, but it is the position where we were probably the strongest last year, and have the least returning both in terms of perceived talent and actual experience. We've got a ton of experience coming back on the dline and secondary, as well as some recruiting star power filling in. We don't have either of those things at LB.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
This is going to be the most interesting part of this season, to see just how much the defense drops off given the loss of so many good players at all 3 levels, not to mention Knowles. But even out of the guys we lost, not a single high draft pick in the group. So it's not out of the question to think we can reload at least to the point of not falling off too much. Linebacker is the obvious position of most concern. I know everyone is pretty high on Cobb, but it is the position where we were probably the strongest last year, and have the least returning both in terms of perceived talent and actual experience. We've got a ton of experience coming back on the dline and secondary, as well as some recruiting star power filling in. We don't have either of those things at LB.
Part of the reason our defense worked was the experience. We had a bunch of 22-24 year old players playing collegiate ball. Linebacker is a huge concern as well. I think they’ll be a drop off due to the lack of experience. Doesn’t mean they won’t be productive but having a ton of experience is what made this defense last year

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Cobb has actually seen the field quite a bit already and even started last year against Tulsa. So I would say he is not an unknown quality. Also we have Xavier Benson at LB that has a ton of JUCO experience and even Big 12 experience, just not experience in a Cowboy uniform.

Nov 6, 2010
Part of the reason our defense worked was the experience. We had a bunch of 22-24 year old players playing collegiate ball. Linebacker is a huge concern as well. I think they’ll be a drop off due to the lack of experience. Doesn’t mean they won’t be productive but having a ton of experience is what made this defense last year
For sure, but that's also a reason for optimism. We've got super experienced guys coming back on the DL, and we've got Harper and Taylor coming back at safety, both having played a ton, along with some serious(recruiting) star power. We'll have new starters at corner but have played a lot as well. But I just don't see how we can avoid a major drop at LB.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
For sure, but that's also a reason for optimism. We've got super experienced guys coming back on the DL, and we've got Harper and Taylor coming back at safety, both having played a ton, along with some serious(recruiting) star power. We'll have new starters at corner but have played a lot as well. But I just don't see how we can avoid a major drop at LB.
That’s fair….like I said I still think we’ll be solid but last years group was elite. Not sure this group will be but they should hold their own most games

Dec 21, 2008
I watched Antwine a ton and didn’t see much out of him. There’s a reason he didn’t get drafted. I have no earthly idea why he left early. Gundy usually has great relationships with parents and gives them sound advice and him leaving was not a good decision. Yes he was 300lbs and could battle 1on1 but man I couldn’t name a single big play or two he made. Will be interesting to see Lacy on the inside. Lengthy but not super strong lower body

Oct 30, 2012
Defense will need time to find itself. First few games, even though against lesser competition could be average. But there’s a ton of potential with this group on D. Just need time to iron everything out, get reps, get accustomed to some new things Mason will bring and get guys in the right spots by conference play. So pumped about this season!

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I watched Antwine a ton and didn’t see much out of him. There’s a reason he didn’t get drafted. I have no earthly idea why he left early. Gundy usually has great relationships with parents and gives them sound advice and him leaving was not a good decision. Yes he was 300lbs and could battle 1on1 but man I couldn’t name a single big play or two he made. Will be interesting to see Lacy on the inside. Lengthy but not super strong lower body
Antwine was a beast. Yes, he should not have left early, but he made plenty of plays on the interior and always commanded two blockers. He rarely played on passing downs, so he didn't get the spectacular plays (sacks) the outside guys got, but he definitely made plays, and, more importantly, freed up linebackers to attack at will.

I think Lacy will be great inside on passing downs, and will get enough snaps off (taken by the bigger DTs) that he'll remain effective the entire game.