Facilities/Construction Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
You going to start the Gofundme?

What they will probably do is wait until someone needs to build a new building or parking garage on campus and just include the cost of demolition in with the cost.
My first vision was a sledgehammer and people pay $1 a swing. Then I started thinking about the ultimate haunted house. Or turn it in to a hotel. Laser tag or paintball floors. It’s limitless!

Aug 16, 2012
Was in Stillwater for the softball regionals when I talk to a guy who works there. He told me that O’Bate Stadium has been a nightmare. The record breaking freeze done a number on the pipes. Wonder how much it’s gonna cost to get all repairs done
Open structures like stadiums have been notorious for plumbing problems for eons. Basic problem is the limited conditioned enclosures to conceal the lines so they are more susceptible to the whims of temperature.

I would hope insurance will pay for most of it.

Aug 16, 2012
What idiot would insure a risk like this?
I would assume the same ones that do it for highrise demolitions in metro areas?

My guess is a huge chunk of the cost is the laborious, heavily scrutinized asbestos abatement that has to be done as part of stripping it before it is rigged to implode. That is assuming it will be dropped. Did they implode Willham or knock it down floor by floor?

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Was in Stillwater for the softball regionals when I talk to a guy who works there. He told me that O’Bate Stadium has been a nightmare. The record breaking freeze done a number on the pipes. Wonder how much it’s gonna cost to get all repairs done
Wonder what the deductible is on their insurance. I'm over a medium sized school district in Texas and our deductible is $250,00 per occurrence, and I have to think OSU's is even higher.

We shut off water and drained lines and as a result had only minimal damage at a couple of our buildings and stadiums. A number of Texas school districts and colleges had an incredible number of broken pipes and resulting water damage, and many won't have all repairs done until sometime this summer as some plumbing parts are in short supply. Texas buildings are just not insulated for that extreme cold.

Sep 12, 2008
Wonder what the deductible is on their insurance. I'm over a medium sized school district in Texas and our deductible is $250,00 per occurrence, and I have to think OSU's is even higher.

We shut off water and drained lines and as a result had only minimal damage at a couple of our buildings and stadiums. A number of Texas school districts and colleges had an incredible number of broken pipes and resulting water damage, and many won't have all repairs done until sometime this summer as some plumbing parts are in short supply. Texas buildings are just not insulated for that extreme cold.
Oklahoma State University is self insured.

Jun 14, 2011
They used a wrecking ball to bring down Willham.
Had Willham dust all over our cars and house since we lived so close. There was a decent crowd to watch the start of the wrecking ball, but then we realized the ball was like maybe 5 feet wide and that it wouldn't be some spectacular event. After a few swings, we got bored and went on our way.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Had Willham dust all over our cars and house since we lived so close. There was a decent crowd to watch the start of the wrecking ball, but then we realized the ball was like maybe 5 feet wide and that it wouldn't be some spectacular event. After a few swings, we got bored and went on our way.
So there's asbestos in KD and was in Wilham. I was in KD when they tore it down - don't remember anything about them looking around for the asbestos, does anyone else??

Aug 16, 2012
So there's asbestos in KD and was in Wilham. I was in KD when they tore it down - don't remember anything about them looking around for the asbestos, does anyone else??
Not really a matter of "looking for it". They know exactly where it was. Floor tiles, plumbing insulation, the mastic used to adhere the acoustic ceiling tiles and the plaster. Per federal regs they would have had to abate it before tearing it down. Inert if undisturbed which is why people can inhabit areas with it. Dust with the particles is the issue.

We tore down the plaster cafeteria ceiling in Bennett some time between 86-88. Instead of a sledgehammer melee, we tried to do a controlled fall by clipping the support wires starting at one end while working our way across to the other side. Total fail. Got about half way across and the damn thing starting ripping from the wires by itself. They wrapped up the whole center wing in plastic, installed filtered fans and had to go through a full abatement procedure monitored by the state. Beauty of it (other than the awesomeness of watching the ceiling tear itself down in a chain reaction) was our PPE consisted of cheap ass paper facemasks!!!

Sep 12, 2008
OSU has a group of people in Facilities mgmt devoted to asbestos. Every time you need to move ceiling tiles in Whitehurst you have to call them to come over and verify first. They know exactly which ones have asbestos and which do not.