ERCOT calls for Texans to conserve Power--Grid Failure possible

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I’ve watched a 345kV GSU get swapped 3 times in my 14 years. It never has looked easy, but there’s worse things that could happen. (Dropped stator at Arkansas Nuclear 1 comes to mind…)
Bad part is it causing a FO on a nuke unit. That’s a big loss of normally rock-solid chunk of MWs.
Worked at plant that had an arc in the yard that took us black and the dc pump to the steam turbine failed. Went from 3600 RPM with 280 MW of load to dead stop zero in 2 minutes and 56 seconds. There was Babbitt from the bearings on the wall and ceiling where it had melted from the heat of the turbine grinding to a stop and been blown external to the bearing housing. They had to build a mill onsite to turn the shaft. That wasn’t good. Had a plant last summer that I have knowledge of throw a gas turbine belly band through the combustion section. It moved the entire turbine building and exhaust structure forward and pulled the generator into the first compressor bearing. The force of these machines is staggering.

Dec 11, 2011
Worked at plant that had an arc in the yard that took us black and the dc pump to the steam turbine failed. Went from 3600 RPM with 280 MW of load to dead stop zero in 2 minutes and 56 seconds. There was Babbitt from the bearings on the wall and ceiling where it had melted from the heat of the turbine grinding to a stop and been blown external to the bearing housing. They had to build a mill onsite to turn the shaft. That wasn’t good. Had a plant last summer that I have knowledge of throw a gas turbine belly band through the combustion section. It moved the entire turbine building and exhaust structure forward and pulled the generator into the first compressor bearing. The force of these machines is staggering.
One lightning strike caused all of the transformer swaps I’ve gotten to watch; also caused a blackout at my plant. Our DC system & diesel gens worked though, but it still sucked.
Another plant had one unit on outage; mechanic mistakenly drained the turbine lube oil reservoir on the running unit beside it. 500 NMW to stop in the same 3:00 range with the same results you described.
:thumbdown:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
No it shows it was where they said today. Almost every shortage and price event in the last 5-7 years in ERCOT has been associated with under forecasted production of wind. I wish it worked and there is a large chance my next job is acting like managing wind is work cause it ain’t going anywhere but it what it is.
My point exactly, wind is nice when it works. I'm not in favor of experimenting with production central to my necessities and/or comfort levels.