Equestrian Future

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I look at it like golf, which has also been talked about as a cost-prohibitive sport for people of less means. While you may be provided all the equipment, green fees, etc once you are a member of a competitive team, nobody is lining up to do that for someone who's never picked up a club before. Golf is a sport that you're not going to be a major collegiate level competitor unless you play almost daily for most of your life. That ain't cheap.
But golf has a recognizable end goal and tours all over the world you can strive for.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Also came across several other articles stating participation wanes because there is no "league" for future participation and as a spectator sport, most people give up horse interest around the end of HS. Pretty much sounds like you live it and love it, or move on around the time college starts. One article states a girl's horse obsession (an actual definable stage in a young girl's development apparently) only last three years typically.
OK, that article is nonsense. There's more of a 'league' after college life than say softball. I've never seen a women's professional softball game but I've been to many pro rodeos including Calgary Stampede and Houston Rodeo; never been to NFR though. The deal is that many of the girls who are super serious would be doing rodeo circuits full time with sponsorships, etc. And those ladies do it well into 30's, 40's, beyond then turn any success into lucrative training/breeding. So, yeah there is a 'league' per se.

Aug 16, 2012
OK, that article is nonsense. There's more of a 'league' after college life than say softball. I've never seen a women's professional softball game but I've been to many pro rodeos including Calgary Stampede and Houston Rodeo; never been to NFR though. The deal is that many of the girls who are super serious would be doing rodeo circuits full time with sponsorships, etc. And those ladies do it well into 30's, 40's, beyond then turn any success into lucrative training/breeding. So, yeah there is a 'league' per se.
The main article I referenced is on the National Collegiate Equestrian Association website so pardon me if I take their opinion with a bit more credence than your personal experience.

StatePoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 29, 2005
I see the value in our Equestrian team and want it to say. That said, I would love to see a volleyball team too. I wonder what a difference it would make if they could find a donor to kick-in a million dollars or so to endow scholarships for a volleyball team. That would go a long ways toward making it affordable. Coaches, balls and nets in our existing facilities can't be all that expensive. It just seems to me that if you can control the scholarship costs, the other issues become manageable.

The Equestrian team is cool and a great fit so I wish people wouldn't event talk about it as a one or the other kind of thing.