EPIC may lose their contract with the State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There is a massive excessive cost in public education all from elementary to the college level. I have spoken to the Oklahoma Board of Higher Education about cutting cost but nothing has changed.
Agree, but I just want them out of the private model. The problems get worse when private schools (like Epic) take public funds. I was against our private school and my church also taking ANY bail out money...they BOTH did anyway...I'm against the voucher system but many of my mindset are for it because they don't seem to understand that inviting public funds into the private domain is the biggest way to lose your educational freedom. When they have their foot in the door they won't be able to resist "suggestions" and "control."

Sep 22, 2011
There is a massive excessive cost in public education all from elementary to the college level. I have spoken to the Oklahoma Board of Higher Education about cutting cost but nothing has changed.
Where in your opinion in the money being misspent?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gov. Stitt is a "disrupter" and that is why he is opposed by those educators now in power.
He's an interesting one. A good man, no doubt and one who wants to get along and build consesis yet has strong opinions. He's not been a vaccine guy in his personal life YET has promoted it as a success of the state. He's not been one to centralize power but rather give the communities power to control their areas (i.e. mask mandates were local not state wide). He gets along with the big city mayors but refuses to control them, which I'm sure they like yet feel somewhat alone as well. Bottom line, I really like the guy personally and his style of leadership...but I could see how some are opposed...yet I think we are better off with the laissez-faire attempted consesis approach he takes to governance, mostly. He's an OSU guy despite growing up in Norman...what's not to like? :)

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yet they were able to Settle and keep their contract with the state.

Remember this post the next time Epic screws up again. We had a chance to stop them here...and we didn't...They are not fit to be handling our Tax dollars.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yet they were able to Settle and keep their contract with the state.

Remember this post the next time Epic screws up again. We had a chance to stop them here...and we didn't...They are not fit to be handling our Tax dollars.

Part of the settlement was separating the boards and better financial oversight I thought?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Just ran across this:

GRAND JURY FINDS NO LEGAL WRONGDOING AT EPIC

Despite several years of allegations and a critical state audit, members of the Eighteenth Oklahoma Multicounty Grand Jury have found no wrongdoing that warranted indictment of any officials involved with Epic Charter Schools, an online public school.

The final report issued by the grand jury, which was empaneled on March 3, 2020 and met for 42 days of 14 sessions, revealed that the grand jury issued 1,313 subpoenas related to a wide range of investigations, heard from 160 witnesses, and returned 13 indictments.

None of the indictments related to Epic, even though the report stated that the grand jury “devoted much of its time and energy” to investigating the school.

The report noted that the grand jury’s role is to determine “whether there is sufficient evidence which, if unexplained or uncontradicted and presented in court to a jury of one’s peers, would prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. When there is sufficient evidence of both type and quality, the grand jury’s responsibility is to bring an indictment, or accusation of crime, so that the State may require the indicted to face his or her accusers and stand trial.”

Epic Charter Schools is the state’s largest online provider of K-12 education and in 2020 was the state’s largest public school district.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Just ran across this:

Despite several years of allegations and a critical state audit, members of the Eighteenth Oklahoma Multicounty Grand Jury have found no wrongdoing that warranted indictment of any officials involved with Epic Charter Schools, an online public school.

The final report issued by the grand jury, which was empaneled on March 3, 2020 and met for 42 days of 14 sessions, revealed that the grand jury issued 1,313 subpoenas related to a wide range of investigations, heard from 160 witnesses, and returned 13 indictments.

None of the indictments related to Epic, even though the report stated that the grand jury “devoted much of its time and energy” to investigating the school.

The report noted that the grand jury’s role is to determine “whether there is sufficient evidence which, if unexplained or uncontradicted and presented in court to a jury of one’s peers, would prove the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. When there is sufficient evidence of both type and quality, the grand jury’s responsibility is to bring an indictment, or accusation of crime, so that the State may require the indicted to face his or her accusers and stand trial.”

Epic Charter Schools is the state’s largest online provider of K-12 education and in 2020 was the state’s largest public school district.
Stay tuned for the next unsubstantiated lie the Education lobby comes up with. If you can't beat them , cancel them!

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
He's an interesting one. A good man, no doubt and one who wants to get along and build consesis yet has strong opinions. He's not been a vaccine guy in his personal life YET has promoted it as a success of the state. He's not been one to centralize power but rather give the communities power to control their areas (i.e. mask mandates were local not state wide). He gets along with the big city mayors but refuses to control them, which I'm sure they like yet feel somewhat alone as well. Bottom line, I really like the guy personally and his style of leadership...but I could see how some are opposed...yet I think we are better off with the laissez-faire attempted consesis approach he takes to governance, mostly. He's an OSU guy despite growing up in Norman...what's not to like? :)
I don't like lopping off the knowledge base of state agencies by mass firing non-political people who have worked in state government then hiring inexperienced cronies/friends. Then paying the replacement higher salaries and needing to hire additional assistants because they are not able to do the job of the people that they replaced.

But, yeah, he is an OSU guy so he has that going for him. But, the long-term harm to the state government will be hard to repair by those that follow.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Agree, but I just want them out of the private model. The problems get worse when private schools (like Epic) take public funds. I was against our private school and my church also taking ANY bail out money...they BOTH did anyway...I'm against the voucher system but many of my mindset are for it because they don't seem to understand that inviting public funds into the private domain is the biggest way to lose your educational freedom. When they have their foot in the door they won't be able to resist "suggestions" and "control."
Hello, mandatory vaccines for students and staff!

Nov 18, 2011
Just ran across this:

Yeah, surprise surprise. All the local media, Tulsaworld, Oklahoman etc, were eager to post headlines that it was going to a grand jury. Then when they find nothing…crickets.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yeah, surprise surprise. All the local media, Tulsaworld, Oklahoman etc, were eager to post headlines that it was going to a grand jury. Then when they find nothing…crickets.
It ain't over, those two lug nuts owe between $18,000,000 and $64,000,000 back to EPIC.

Nov 18, 2011
It ain't over, those two lug nuts owe between $18,000,000 and $64,000,000 back to EPIC.
Meh, don’t believe everything you read and the gaudy headlines. They certainly operated on the fringes and took advantage of loopholes, but I guarantee they will not be paying anywhere close to those type of $$$ back for services and softwares their private entity was paid as a vendor/contractor.

Regardless of the founders though, they are gone now, the public school lobby and their minions in the media will continue to focus and accuse Epic of everything, ignoring the issues and mis-managements in the traditional public schools. Funny thing for Epic though is that all those negative headlines and attacks have done nothing to deter enrollments. I think at this point most people see past the agendas.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Meh, don’t believe everything you read and the gaudy headlines. They certainly operated on the fringes and took advantage of loopholes, but I guarantee they will not be paying anywhere close to those type of $$$ back for services and softwares their private entity was paid as a vendor/contractor.

Regardless of the founders though, they are gone now, the public school lobby and their minions in the media will continue to focus and accuse Epic of everything, ignoring the issues and mis-managements in the traditional public schools. Funny thing for Epic though is that all those negative headlines and attacks have done nothing to deter enrollments. I think at this point most people see past the agendas.
You do realize that it is the current EPIC board going after them? The teacher's unions, the school board association and the admin association have nothing in this game left. The current board wants their money back. Quit the I know more than you because I'm a message board postee, I will guarantee you don't, take your own advice and don't believe everything you read.

Nov 18, 2011
You do realize that it is the current EPIC board going after them? The teacher's unions, the school board association and the admin association have nothing in this game left. The current board wants their money back. Quit the I know more than you because I'm a message board postee, I will guarantee you don't, take your own advice and don't believe everything you read.
It has a lot to do with those groups as they continue to lose enrollment ($$$) to Epic. Notice the media didn’t published anything about the grand jury conclusion but instead published articles and editorials that amount to nothing more than bad blood and mud slinging against the founders.

IMO, what you referenced is nothing more than theater to try and PUBLICLY blame, shame, and distance themselves in effort to win favor with the dept of Ed, legislators, and the brick and mortars. In fact, many in the school admin and even on the board are quietly still favorable towards the two.

Last edited: