Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I think I recalled that he nearly went broke trying to perfect the SpaceX rockets and had only enough money for one more attempt which turned out to be successful.
correct...but not nearly broke...actually broke. He had enough money when he started to attempt 3 launches. All 3 failed. He gave a big impassioned speech to Space X saying they were out of money, but he wouldn't let them fail again and basically told the entire company they had one more 4th and final Launch and not to worry bout the money cause he would make it happen.

The documentary I watched showed him giving this speech but never divulged how he came up with the money for the 4th launch. I'm pretty sure he put up his other companies or part of them as collateral to bank roll the 4th launch.

I'm convinced if that 4th launch would have failed in the early days of Space X that Elon Musk most likely wouldn't be the influential person he is today.

Long story short. . 4th launch was a success and Space X signed a multibillion deal with the US govt to become the sole provider of space travel for US cargo, and satellites....and several years later for US astronauts...and the rest is history

Now Space X has 2 HUGE goals, A base on the moon, and the first manned trip to Mars.

Everything in Musk Atmosphere revolves around those two goals.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That’s definitely changing.
  • On average, buyers spend 2/3 of the buyer’s online before engaging with a salesperson.
  • 87% of Americans dislike something about car shopping at dealerships and 61% feel they’re taken advantage of while there.
  • Less than ⅓ of younger consumers want to conduct car sales in-person at the dealership, and more respondents are interested in contactless service. (McKinsey)
  • Car shoppers express an increased desire to complete some of the car-shopping processes online, especially price negotiations and online financing. (Cars.com)
  • With car buyers making more decisions online and ahead of time, by the time they arrive at the dealership, many of them are likely ready to buy.
Yes, and dealers have had to adapt or die due to what the consumer wants, as opposed to simply shutting out competing sales models.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
That’s definitely changing.
  • On average, buyers spend 2/3 of the buyer’s online before engaging with a salesperson.
  • 87% of Americans dislike something about car shopping at dealerships and 61% feel they’re taken advantage of while there.
  • Less than ⅓ of younger consumers want to conduct car sales in-person at the dealership, and more respondents are interested in contactless service. (McKinsey)
  • Car shoppers express an increased desire to complete some of the car-shopping processes online, especially price negotiations and online financing. (Cars.com)
  • With car buyers making more decisions online and ahead of time, by the time they arrive at the dealership, many of them are likely ready to buy.
The only and I mean ONLY 2 reasons I will go to a car lot. 1) To physically test drive a vehicle to make sure it's comfortable because you can't get that kind of sense from photos and videos online and 2) to actually buy the vehicle. Before I step foot on a lot, I've already figured out all the specifics of the vehicle I'm wanting as well as already getting pre-approved for financing and knowing the total I want to pay.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The only and I mean ONLY 2 reasons I will go to a car lot. 1) To physically test drive a vehicle to make sure it's comfortable because you can't get that kind of sense from photos and videos online and 2) to actually buy the vehicle. Before I step foot on a lot, I've already figured out all the specifics of the vehicle I'm wanting as well as already getting pre-approved for financing and knowing the total I want to pay.
Exactly! I was in and out of the dealership within an hour on my last car buy.

I'm still a hold out on any of the car delivery services though.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

The data also shows there’s growing demand for a completely online purchase experience. So, you may end up in the minority here.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

Heck, I didn't even test drive my current car (in avatar). I negotiated price over email for a specific trim package, and then walked in and ordered it. Came back a few months later after it arrived.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.newsweek.com/half-joe-biden-twitter-followers-are-fake-audit-elon-musk-1707244

Almost half of President Joe Biden's current 22.2 million followers on Twitter are fake accounts, according to an audit tool provided by software company SparkToro.
SparkToro's tool found that 49.3 percent of accounts following the official @POTUS Twitter account are "fake followers" based on analysis of a number of factors, including location issues, default profile images and new users.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who is currently trying to buy Twitter, has expressed concerns about the number of fake accounts and a potential crack down could see users such as Biden lose a huge number of followers.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Your post was certainly timely.

I've spent the last few weeks searching for and watching documentaries about Elon Musk and his companies. Trying to get a sense of what drives him.

One reoccurring thing he constantly goes to is His quest to make Human a multiplanetary species and is 1000% convinced it is the only way for Humans to continue to survive as the resources of this planet are depleted. He sleeps on the couches of his friends and puts in 12-14 hr days trying to get off planet.

It is a quest that dives his ever waking day, it is THE reason he started Space X...all other wealth he accumulates from all his other companies is invested into Space X and making Humans multiplanetary.

I'm pretty convinced that all public releases, twitter post, business moves etc are ALL very calculated and done in a manner that will benefit him financially in a way that can further his mission of getting off planet.

The guy took all the profit and money he had from his first few business and sunk it + debt into Space X to get it up and running. He has proven time and time again that he is willing to risk EVERYTHING for Space X
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-says-cant-let-064708205.html

Elon Musk says we can't let humankind end in 'adult diapers' and that the environment would be fine if we doubled our population
Weilun Soon
Tue, May 17, 2022, 12:47 AM

Elon Musk.Christophe Gateau/picture alliance via Getty Image
  • Elon Musk argued for higher birth rates again, saying otherwise we will all "end up in adult diapers."
  • He claimed without evidence that the environment can support it "even if we doubled the size" of the global population.
  • Experts have stated other factors causing birth rates to decline.
Elon Musk argued on Monday that it's "total nonsense" that people were not having have kids because it was bad for the environment, and made another plug for people to have more children to prevent the collapse of civilization.

"Some people think that having fewer kids is better for the environment. It's total nonsense. The environment is going to be fine, the environment is going to be fine even if we doubled the size of the humans," the Tesla CEO told the closed-door All-In Summit via video call on Monday.

"At least maintain our numbers," he said. "We don't necessarily need to grow dramatically, but least let's not gradually dwindle away until civilization ends with all of us in adult diapers, in a whimper."

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Your post was certainly timely.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-says-cant-let-064708205.html

Elon Musk says we can't let humankind end in 'adult diapers' and that the environment would be fine if we doubled our population
Weilun Soon
Tue, May 17, 2022, 12:47 AM

Elon Musk.Christophe Gateau/picture alliance via Getty Image
  • Elon Musk argued for higher birth rates again, saying otherwise we will all "end up in adult diapers."
  • He claimed without evidence that the environment can support it "even if we doubled the size" of the global population.
  • Experts have stated other factors causing birth rates to decline.
Elon Musk argued on Monday that it's "total nonsense" that people were not having have kids because it was bad for the environment, and made another plug for people to have more children to prevent the collapse of civilization.

"Some people think that having fewer kids is better for the environment. It's total nonsense. The environment is going to be fine, the environment is going to be fine even if we doubled the size of the humans," the Tesla CEO told the closed-door All-In Summit via video call on Monday.

"At least maintain our numbers," he said. "We don't necessarily need to grow dramatically, but least let's not gradually dwindle away until civilization ends with all of us in adult diapers, in a whimper."
He is convinced there will be a population of at least 1 million Humans on Mars by 2060's

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...k-spacex-exploring-mars-planets-space-science

He claims he wants to ramp up the population output of humans on Earth to avoid having to build an entire work force of Robots. He proposed a new business venture Idea in Dec 2021 of creating an entire workforce of AI robots and used the birth rate as his reasoning behind the need for an AI robot workforce. The whole population pursuit angle he is playing is nothing more than a new business venture to build and sell an entire AI workforce.

Business mogul Elon Musk is more concerned with under-population than over-population. The Tesla CEO said Monday that there are "not enough people" in the world and it could threaten human civilization.
"I think one of the biggest risks to civilization is the low birth rate and the rapidly declining birthrate," Musk said at the Wall Street Journal's annual CEO Council. The 50-year-old was answering a question about how the proposed Tesla Bot could solve some of the world's labor issues. Musk had previously called the bot a "generalized substitute for human labor over time."
"And yet, so many people, including smart people, think that there are too many people in the world and think that the population is growing out of control. It's completely the opposite. Please look at the numbers – if people don't have more children, civilization is going to crumble, mark my words."

The Tesla Bot is Musk's "humanoid robot" that he plans to have built by using Tesla's self-driving car artificial intelligence. The bot could have the capability of deadlifting up to 150 pounds and traveling at around 5 m.p.h.
The global birthrate has been on a steady decline since 1960, according to World Bank. The U.S. birthrate fell by 4% in 2020 – a record low – according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Musk, a father of six, added in the same interview that while he believes population growth is ideal, how long people live is a different story. He said in regards to aging that people shouldn't "try to live for a super long time."

"I think it is important for us to die because most of the times, people don't change their mind, they just die," he said. "If they live forever, then we might become a very ossified society where new ideas cannot succeed."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...rate-threatens-human-civilization/6414749001/

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Celebrities have for long been taking it out on Republicans. Now Elon and Bezos are certainly taking it out on Dems this week.
He taking it out on the Dems right now because they are in power and there was a huge change to how Telsa is handled by the S&P that just happened today. and the reason they did that today is those missing published details are crusading points for Dems who are have for years been trying to more control over business via the establishment of a National Carbon exchange

1652907345482.png

The move had a HUGE financial impact on him today
1652907511453.png

Last edited:

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
The more Elon tweets, the more I come to believe he's trying to scuttle the deal and back away from the table.