Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I’m saying you’re kidding yourself
Just goes to prove you can’t be right about everything. If you want to believe the dems would have chosen Trump over Hillary or Bernie, have at it. The GOP lineup was milquetoast, which gave Trump a path using the strongman illusion.

FYI, I think we’ve derailed this quite enough.

Dec 9, 2013
I know these statistics shouldn't surprise me, but they did. It's hard to believe than any social media platform is completely politically neutral when 98.7% of their employees lean to one side of the other. It will be really interesting to see how their algorithms are programmed once they're made public. (Assuming that information isn't scrubbed prior to the deal closing.)

Theses are really interesting #s. When you dig into the #s I was surprised at how inconsequential Twitter is but garners so much attention. Facebook has something like 2.8B “actual be users”. YouTube like 2.1. Insta over 1. TicTok just shy of a B and Twitter down at like 250MM. Then when you look at streaming #s Netflix tops at 220MM w Disney at around 83MM (add another 50ish if you include what they do in India) and Amazon Prime (each getting Prime Video) at around 200MM.

IMO this has little to do w Twitter as the platform exists as a “town square” bc they can’t grow that platform into even what tictoc is. Youth drives social media and they won’t go back to Twitter.

This has to be a platform that incorporates streaming media or content creation (sports???) at some point bc he won’t get his return by adding back Trump or creating an edit button. Maybe you buy an annual subscription to his Starlink and w it you get Twitter+ which includes streaming or something else. I think the only studio left is Sony but maybe he partners w them and includes the PlayStation store and access to Sony’s movies/media.

Maybe I’m off the mark on streaming but he didn’t buy this for the “town square” aspect.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Just goes to prove you can’t be right about everything. If you want to believe the dems would have chosen Trump over Hillary or Bernie, have at it. The GOP lineup was milquetoast, which gave Trump a path using the strongman illusion.

FYI, I think we’ve derailed this quite enough.
Yeah. And Bernie and Hilary are championship contenders??? Lol. They were the definition of “we got nobody”.

For example: they chose Obama. Simply because of race. They wanted anyone besides her. Anyone. He would have run roughshod over that party and they would have lapped it up

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Theses are really interesting #s. When you dig into the #s I was surprised at how inconsequential Twitter is but garners so much attention. Facebook has something like 2.8B. YouTube like 2.1. Insta over 1. TicTok just shy of a B and Twitter down at like 250MM. Then when you look at streaming #s Netflix tops at 220MM w Disney at around 83MM (add another 50ish if you include what they do in India) and Amazon Prime (each getting Prime Video) at around 200MM.

IMO this has little to do w Twitter as the platform exists as a “town square” bc they can’t grow that platform into even what tictoc is. Youth drives social media and they won’t go back to Twitter.

This has to be a platform that incorporates streaming media or content creation (sports???) at some point bc he won’t get his return by adding back Trump or creating an edit button. Maybe you buy an annual subscription to his Starlink and w it you get Twitter+ which includes streaming or something else. I think the only studio left is Sony but maybe he partners w them and includes the PlayStation store and access to Sony’s movies/media.

Maybe I’m off the mark on streaming but he didn’t buy this for the “town square” aspect.
The user total will fall even less, once they start verifying accounts. In my opinion, it was a bad purchase used for what it is now. Maybe he needs the write off. Who knows.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yeah. And Bernie and Hilary are championship contenders??? Lol. They were the definition of “we got nobody”.

For example: they chose Obama. Simply because of race. They wanted anyone besides her. Anyone. He would have run roughshod over that party and they would have lapped it up
You might want to read more carefully or think more thoroughly before posting. This is so wrong, it’s comical. I never said the democratic candidates were “contenders.” I said they weren’t milquetoast, which is what helped Trump stand out against the field of GOP candidates.

I won’t even touch your comments on Obama, except to say they reveal a lot.

I’m done with this. It’s a thread about Musk and Twitter. Bring this up elsewhere if you want to continue being wrong.

Dec 9, 2013
The user total will fall even less, once they start verifying accounts. In my opinion, it was a bad purchase used for what it is now. Maybe he needs the write off. Who knows.
That’s what I’m saying and if reports are true that there could be outside investors behind him they won’t let him burn 20ish billion in cash for it to be Twitter w an edit button.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
You might want to read more carefully or think more thoroughly before posting. This is so wrong, it’s comical. I never said the democratic candidates were “contenders.” I said they weren’t milquetoast, which is what helped Trump stand out against the field of GOP candidates.

I won’t even touch your comments on Obama, except to say they reveal a lot.

I’m done with this. It’s a thread about Musk and Twitter. Bring this up elsewhere if you want to continue being wrong.
Ok. Goodbye

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
That’s what I’m saying and if reports are true that there could be outside investors behind him they won’t let him burn 20ish billion in cash for it to be Twitter w an edit button.
Who I am to say? He has obvious been doing alright without my advice. I don't know about outside investors. I did read, it was like jp morgan and some other big banks.

Wall Street Banks Step Up to Finance Elon Musk’s Pursuit of Twitter (TWTR) - Bloomberg

Morgan stanley, b Of A, citi , barclays and Mizuho

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Oh hell. He would have done to Bernie whe he did to jeb. He would have had all of the hard left and most of the middle. Just like now. If McCain would have won trump would have tore him apart with his extreme hyperbole. Because there wasn’t a speakable difference between Obama and McCain.
I don't like Bernie, but he's not going to roll over like Jeb. It would be two obnoxious new Yorkers yelling at each other and fracturing the populist left. I think Trump loses that fight because the populist left has a ton of occupy wall street remnants. Trump could maybe go the unions and police route, but I think he'd get skewered. Zero chance he makes it out of the primaries. If McCain wins in 08, it's Hillary vs McCain for 2012 with McCain winning.

Maybe misunderstood, but it's an insane reflection of our partisan times if you really think there weren't serious political differences between Obama and McCain. The most obvious one is Obamacare does not happen or anything close to it.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I don't like Bernie, but he's not going to roll over like Jeb. It would be two obnoxious new Yorkers yelling at each other and fracturing the populist left. I think Trump loses that fight because the populist left has a ton of occupy wall street remnants. Trump could maybe go the unions and police route, but I think he'd get skewered. Zero chance he makes it out of the primaries. If McCain wins in 08, it's Hillary vs McCain for 2012 with McCain winning.

Maybe misunderstood, but it's an insane reflection of our partisan times if you really think there weren't serious political differences between Obama and McCain. The most obvious one is Obamacare does not happen or anything close to it.
Obamacare happens exactly as is.
If you think Bernie has the stones to fight trump then the partisanship shows

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Obamacare happens exactly as is.
If you think Bernie has the stones to fight trump then the partisanship shows
Again, I dislike Bernie, but you really think Bernie just rolls over for Trump? I mean what fight do you think happens besides yelling and insults? He does not seem shy about yelling matches or conflict. Bernie also would be all over Trump as the personified billionaire class. I'm not saying the left is above a Trump figure, but only that Trump specifically would not have gotten through the primaries.

Sep 3, 2010
Again, I dislike Bernie, but you really think Bernie just rolls over for Trump? I mean what fight do you think happens besides yelling and insults? He does not seem shy about yelling matches or conflict. Bernie also would be all over Trump as the personified billionaire class. I'm not saying the left is above a Trump figure, but only that Trump specifically would not have gotten through the primaries.

Exactly what I said when he ran as a republican in 2016.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
When you accidently OOPS your other business

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1519030315490050049
I think both Elon and Tesla are gonna be alright haha. The entire market including tech has been going down for awhile and it wouldnt surprise at all if that continued for the rest of the year. We are headed to if not already in a recession.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We’ve been looking into recent fluctuations in follower counts. While we continue to take action on accounts that violate our spam policy which can affect follower counts, these fluctuations appear to largely have been a result of an increase in new account creation and deactivation,” Twitter said in a statement to the Daily Caller News Foundation on Wednesday.

While it’s true that there has been an influx in newly-created and deleted accounts, seemingly in favor of conservatives, that likely doesn’t explain why follower counts are rising and dropping.
Notably, over 70% of official Twitter accounts belonging to Republican members of Congress grew in followers as of Tuesday.

And as of Wednesday morning, Donald Trump Jr. gained 206,318 new followers over the past two days.
Other accounts to see significant growth include those belonging to Joe Rogan, Tucker Carlson and Ted Cruz. Meanwhile, Kamala Harris, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow have lost tens of thousands of followers since Monday