Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yeah. It’s not like I posted that thinking you made it.
It’s a little funny when you think of how sad it is someone went to the effort
You could say this about 99.99999% of what’s on the internet. For example: grown men spending all their spare time on a college sports message board.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
This is what gets me. He is the left. He just switched parties to win. People need to figure that out
He's neither particularly right or left because he has very few, if any, actual principles beyond egocentrism and the collection of personal power and authority.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
He’s a Donocratic Trumplican
Really? I don't follow the cult of Musk, but I didn't think he particularly liked Trump. I don't think he disliked him either and as above, I've always perceived him as someone with very few political convictions except a couple libertarian things that mostly suit his business interests.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I've always had a high opinion of Elon Musk. He's a very smart and driven individual that's worked his way to incredible success. He's the very embodiment of the American dream. I appreciate the fact that he's an Independent that identifies most closely with Libertarianism. I wish there were more people like him in Washington DC.

Most financial institutions value Twitter much lower than what he's paying for it. He's making a bad investment simply because he understands how important it is to provide free speech on what is essentially one of the world's largest digital public squares. I have a great deal of respect for that. I hope he's successful.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Really? I don't follow the cult of Musk, but I didn't think he particularly liked Trump. I don't think he disliked him either and as above, I've always perceived him as someone with very few political convictions except a couple libertarian things that mostly suit his business interests.
Nope!

I get the same vibe. Once they start verifying everyone. The real user total will be a lot less. How long will twitter last?
They're talking about Trump, not Musk. I think you might have skimmed over the initial comment that the following posts were building off.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
There'd be some of that, but you already have Bernie exploiting the same populist lane that I think Trump would have occupied. Plus, with no Obama making fun of Trump and no bierh certificate to supposedlt chase down, does he even really enter the race?
Agreed. I don’t see his schtick working on the left, but I’d love to see how he would try.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
We could have multiple pages of people going absolutely bonkers over Musk buying Twitter.
I thought both of these were someone just going over the top and faking outrage, but both are real.
The first suggest Musk shouldn’t be trusted due to not having a Masters degree.
The second is just a sum of just about every political discourse - at some point someone is branded a racist.

The scary thing is one of them has 41k followers and the other has over 1M.

https://twitter.com/richardhanania/status/1518666642695225345?s=21&t=o9zMyqAYkbI_1U72DGyoUA

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1518576839777734657?s=21&t=o9zMyqAYkbI_1U72DGyoUA
I gotta say - these are delicious. Like Twitter usage is some freaking constitutional right. I really hope Elon shuts the entire site down.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
There'd be some of that, but you already have Bernie exploiting the same populist lane that I think Trump would have occupied. Plus, with no Obama making fun of Trump and no bierh certificate to supposedlt chase down, does he even really enter the race?
Oh hell. He would have done to Bernie whe he did to jeb. He would have had all of the hard left and most of the middle. Just like now. If McCain would have won trump would have tore him apart with his extreme hyperbole. Because there wasn’t a speakable difference between Obama and McCain.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Agreed. I don’t see his schtick working on the left, but I’d love to see how he would try.
This is laughable.
The difference I see in the two sides is Nancy is an amazing leader and shuts the riff raff down and unites around a talking point.
That is where it would be interesting to see. Would Nancy rally for or against.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I know these statistics shouldn't surprise me, but they did. It's hard to believe than any social media platform is completely politically neutral when 98.7% of their employees lean to one side of the other. It will be really interesting to see how their algorithms are programmed once they're made public. (Assuming that information isn't scrubbed prior to the deal closing.)

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
This is laughable.
The difference I see in the two sides is Nancy is an amazing leader and shuts the riff raff down and unites around a talking point.
That is where it would be interesting to see. Would Nancy rally for or against.
Laugh all you want, but the strongman schtick he uses for business and politics doesn’t seem like the left’s taste. He would have needed a new bag, and I’m not sure what he could have pivoted to convincingly.

I’m not saying the left is smarter than the right. I’m just saying he’s not their type.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Laugh all you want, but the strongman schtick he uses for business and politics doesn’t seem like the left’s taste. He would have needed a new bag, and I’m not sure what he could have pivoted to convincingly.

I’m not saying the left is smarter than the right. I’m just saying he’s not their type.
I’m saying you’re kidding yourself