Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
He definitely just wanted to get someone to publish "69" and he got it. Probably took a puff then laughed his butt off.
It was a humorous way of saying you need to be younger than 70. I'd guess most people would agree with that and Musk has the sense of humor of a middle schooler, who just happens to be a multi-billionaire.

Mar 11, 2006
Correct. Quit acting like it’s musk. It’s Twitter that won’t disclose.
If Twitter didn’t provide information on actual users then not only will they lose their lawsuit, but their stock will tank.

I am assuming Twitter must have provided Musk information on actual users that they believe fulfills that requirement.

It is curious that Twitter references a “seller friendly merger agreement”.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
If Twitter didn’t provide information on actual users then not only will they lose their lawsuit, but their stock will tank.

I am assuming Twitter must have provided Musk information on actual users that they believe fulfills that requirement.

We as regular people don't know anything about this. Maybe he bit off more than he could chew and tried to get out of it. Maybe he got uncomfortable when they didn't provide him with the user statistics he wanted to finalize the sale. Maybe it gets shown in court or it doesn't. I'm guessing the latter.

My big question here is how is he going to settle the lawsuit. He's insanely rich but he really isn't liquid. 90% of his wealth at least is because of his stock position. He doesn't have the money to settle for 10% of the original offer much less 50%. There is a fair chance major twitter stakeholders will find themselves as new majority stakeholders in either an electric car company that is about to be undercut by major model manufacturers or a company that's business model is sending rich people into space in the middle of a recession. It's on them for getting deep into a social media platform that felt like myspace 5 years ago but they should tell their lawyers to pursue cash over stock and force him to sell assets to cover it. D*ck move on their part but that seems like the smarter thing to do in this environment.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Whatever it is, twitter clearly believes they have evidence that they fulfilled their obligations.

Musk is clearly a genius and his cult of personality has exploded over the last few years, some of justified. If I had to guess though, that cult and his wealth got to him a bit and he overestimated his power, which has happened to his predecessors of similar status including Jobs and Gates. They just went through theirs before social media was a thing. The voyeur in me hopes this doesn't settle out of court and we get to see some discovery. On the legit side, having twitter go through disclosure would be good for the public as well.

Mar 11, 2006
My big question here is how is he going to settle the lawsuit. He's insanely rich but he really isn't liquid. 90% of his wealth at least is because of his stock position. He doesn't have the money to settle for 10% of the original offer much less 50%. There is a fair chance major twitter stakeholders will find themselves as new majority stakeholders in either an electric car company that is about to be undercut by major model manufacturers .
Agree that there is a lot that we as regular people don’t know. But with the portion Musk owns of Tesla dwarfing by a large margin the entire market cap (and purchase price) of Twitter, there is not a fair chance that Twitter shareholders will be majority stakeholders in Tesla.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yeah, Pretty sure Elon put the big old bullseye on his own back for hacktivist

Twitter is down in a major outage
Twitter is down and experiencing a major outage. Issues started with the service at around 8:05AM ET, with many users reporting “over capacity” error messages, and even errors saying “this page is down.” The issues are affecting Twitter web, mobile, and even the company’s TweetDeck app.

Downdetector has thousands of reports of issues with Twitter, but Twitter’s own status page claims “all systems operational.” While the main Twitter.com domain loads, it’s not possible to log into the service or access tweets right now.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/14/23215529/twitter-down-outage-error-capacity