Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2008
Thank you for making the origin of your sentiment clear.
Oh lord, this guy. Just because I don't worship all billionaires. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates I have no qualms with. In the past few years Elon has pump and dumped Bitcoin and Dogecoin (the latter a complete scam of a cryptocoin), paid $250k for a sexual harassment lawsuit then made crass jokes about it on Twitter, praised China, CHINA, for having workers who live at factories and work 16 hour days. I see billionaires as humans with money, how do you see them?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1537780840238927872

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1537845889829584900

https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/1537831946511781889
My position is....

Twitter can run their business how they want when it comes to what can be said or not said on their platform

AND

Elon Musk can run his business he wants when it comes to what can be said or not said by his employees.

Neither is a government entity. Neither is prohibited from engaging in "censorship" by the First Amendment.

There are a few notable exceptions that don't appear to apply to Musk's firing....like you can't fire for attempts to unionize, etc.

Sep 12, 2008
Oh lord, this guy. Just because I don't worship all billionaires. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates I have no qualms with. In the past few years Elon has pump and dumped Bitcoin and Dogecoin (the latter a complete scam of a cryptocoin), paid $250k for a sexual harassment lawsuit then made crass jokes about it on Twitter, praised China, CHINA, for having workers who live at factories and work 16 hour days. I see billionaires as humans with money, how do you see them?
Maybe you should read up on Bill Gates behavior at Microsoft sometime. And of course theirs the whole Epstein thing.

Warren is the man though.

Sep 22, 2011
My position is....

Twitter can run their business how they want when it comes to what can be said or not said on their platform

AND

Elon Musk can run his business he wants when it comes to what can be said or not said by his employees.

Neither is a government entity. Neither is prohibited from engaging in "censorship" by the First Amendment.

There are a few notable exceptions that don't appear to apply to Musk's firing....like you can't fire for attempts to unionize, etc.
Particularly when the companies in question rely so heavily on the public persona of Elon Musk. By working at these companies you are basically signing up to be apart of his cult of personality.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My position is....

AND

I don't disagree with any of that, but there is a difference between legal right and right thing to do. It's legal to burn a flag or run around yelling racist words, but it's not the right thing to do. It's legal for Twitter to censor. If it's censorship based on political ideology, I don't think it's the right thing to do.

As far as bad mouthing the CEO that's a gray area too. Again not legally a problem, but ethically I think employees should be able to voice dissatisfaction with policies and upper management decisions without retribution. Making personal attacks is kind of asking for an exit interview.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I don't disagree with any of that, but there is a difference between legal right and right thing to do. It's legal to burn a flag or run around yelling racist words, but it's not the right thing to do. It's legal for Twitter to censor. If it's censorship based on political ideology, I don't think it's the right thing to do.

As far as bad mouthing the CEO that's a gray area too. Again not legally a problem, but ethically I think employees should be able to voice dissatisfaction with policies and upper management decisions without retribution. Making personal attacks is kind of asking for an exit interview.
I'm not particularly interested in judging people based upon my perception/opinion on what the "right thing to do" is. The one area where I tend to do that is on public policy questions in government....first I look at "can my government legally do that", and then I look at "should" they do that.

If I think a private organization is doing something they have every legal right to do, but "shouldn't" do because it conflicts with my morals/ethics, I'll simply not give them my business or associate with them if I feel strongly enough about it.