Elizabeth City NC police shooting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Perhaps their only misstep at this point was that someone mistakenly said the family could view the video. Then, after legal review, decided they maybe shouldn't (couldn't?) do that?
Then the only possible outcome of doing so is that the family would have to sue the city for the death....and the video will then be forced to be released as evidence in the case.

Poor city management....especially if there is nothing to hide. They basically forced the family to sue the city.

Sep 22, 2011
I'm just going to withhold judgement until the video comes out, anyone who is not doing that is a huckster. I am not saying this isn't an execution or completely justified, just saying acting like it is at either point is a political move that should raise eyebrows at a minimum

Mar 11, 2006
This makes it seem like the officers were within "policy" to shoot. If he was inside the car and backing towards officers (as evidenced by the attorney saying he was reversing the car AND shot in the back of the head), that would be considered a credible threat to their lives.
This is a highly unusual case.
1) The video just released shows a lot of police officers and sherif deputies in the back of the truck that drove to his house. Also, two other regular cars and another police car. Why so many people?
2) As you state, even the family attorney admits he was attempting to evade police and back his car out of the driveway. And forensics apparently show he was shot in the back of the head. Without additional evidence, that does point to using force to stop a car from potentially hitting others.

What is not unusual for this type of media story (at least comparative to some other recent incidents) —- somebody shot while resisting arrest and/or refusing to comply.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
They are public employees. Police officers. Not some dork in his mom‘s basement using the internet anonymously.
So what? Do people have the right to file a foi request to learn the identity of undercover agents or officers? The fisa courts are public entities, can we just publish those cases in a weekly newspaper column?

We live in an age where police officers are tried, convicted and condemned in the media before any facts are known. We have nba celebrities tweeting out the equivalent of a wanted poster to millions of anonymous followers even for a justified shooting.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So why in the ever loving hell didn't they show this to the Family on the body cam footage???? Why did they start the footage After shots had already been fired??

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1387423633937739784

Sep 22, 2011
So why in the ever loving hell didn't they show this to the Family on the body cam footage???? Why did they start the footage After shots had already been fired??

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1387423633937739784
from the article "Womble argued that body camera video from the shooting, a portion of which was shown to the family on Monday, should be kept from the public for another month so that state investigators can make progress on their probe of the shooting."

LET THE SYSTEM WORK, stop blowing up every time a black person is killed by police.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
from the article "Womble argued that body camera video from the shooting, a portion of which was shown to the family on Monday, should be kept from the public for another month so that state investigators can make progress on their probe of the shooting."

LET THE SYSTEM WORK, stop blowing up every time a black person is killed by police.
I think @Binman4OSU does have a point. The city (or individual) who promised the family could see it and/or showed it to them probably did so prematurely, perhaps under pressure from media/public or just didn't know what to do.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So it looks like the FBI was a bit premature in opening a civil rights investigation. Is it too much to expect better from the FBI than we do from the sensationalizing, ratings driven media or has that ship sailed.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Here is the DA's description of what he saw in the full video, with multiple body camera angles.

Andrew Womble, the district attorney for the county, described what he said was video captured by multiple cameras.
In the video, Brown is in a stationary car when officers approach, shouting commands, Womble said.
As officers attempt to open one of the car's doors, the car backs up, making contact with an officer, Womble said. The car then stops, before moving forward and again makes contact with law enforcement, Womble said.

After the car moves forward, shots are heard, Womble said.

I can not for the life of me figure out why the city decided the first part of the video to show the family would be after the first shots had already been fired and from only one camera angle. The DA's description makes it clear the video shows the officers lives were in danger and they had to act to stop it. The family was only originally shown the video of officers firing after the car begin to pull forward, after he had already reversed and contacted an officer with his car.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Here is the DA's description of what he saw in the full video, with multiple body camera angles.

Andrew Womble, the district attorney for the county, described what he said was video captured by multiple cameras.
In the video, Brown is in a stationary car when officers approach, shouting commands, Womble said.
As officers attempt to open one of the car's doors, the car backs up, making contact with an officer, Womble said. The car then stops, before moving forward and again makes contact with law enforcement, Womble said.

After the car moves forward, shots are heard, Womble said.

I can not for the life of me figure out why the city decided the first part of the video to show the family would be after the first shots had already been fired and from only one camera angle. The DA's description makes it clear the video shows the officers lives were in danger and they had to act to stop it. The family was only originally shown the video of officers firing after the car begin to pull forward, after he had already reversed and contacted an officer with his car.
Are the only one saying that it was after the shots the family? Did the city corroborate that? If the video hasn't been released yet, then the only source we've had prior to the DA is the family and their attorney. The group that has the most to gain from claiming this was unjustified. Again, I'll withhold judgement until it's released.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So I guess it wasn't about protecting the Officers identities in this case for all the trouble gone through.

The sheriff's office named all the officers involved today. of the 7 officers on site the sheriff's office said it was very clear 4 never fired their weapons and they have been reinstated as of today. 3 officers were named who did fire their weapons and they are on leave until the investigation is over

https://kfor.com/news/national/sher...ocialflow&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Given new information I have rethought my position on the police violence issue and now feel that sometimes a policeman is justified to shoot an unarmed citizen for a minor traffic stop after all.

Wow, how did he do that? He deserves an award.

Mar 11, 2006
Given new information I have rethought my position on the police violence issue and now feel that sometimes a policeman is justified to shoot an unarmed citizen for a minor traffic stop after all.

Wow, how did he do that? He deserves an award.

I hope the school where she teaches decides quickly they don’t need an educator like that.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
I'll never understand how people can act like this toward another person for absolutely no reason.
F her.
It's pretty easy tbh. Watch the news and listen to the people they have on. When you have people constantly telling you that police are hunting down people to murder them for a good time, you get people who believe it and act like it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk