Elizabeth City NC police shooting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Not sure what is going on with this. The city told the family they would let them view the body cam video today...and the city declared a state of Emergency today BEFORE releasing the body cam footage. However, the family still hasn't seen the body cam footage and now the city is asking to delay the release of the footage with a request that participants faces be blurred out before it is released.

Not sure what this body cam footage is going to show, but the City is taking extraordinary steps before releasing it. Mayor said they expect civil unrest once the body cam footage is released

https://twitter.com/WAVY_News/status/1386675009528152070

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
7 cops have been put on leave and 3 have already resigned over this incident
So I saw another story that they said they had to delay so they could blur faces in the video of those involved in an "active internal investigation". That combined with all the other factors makes me think this may be another one the police made some kind of a mistake on. Guess we will see soon enough.

Sep 22, 2011
7 cops have been put on leave and 3 have already resigned over this incident
I have absolutely no idea what happened, but officers are usually put on leave until the investigation is over and the 3 who resigned were not involved in the shooting.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
As bad as many think police officers are now, can you imagine how bad they're going to be in a year or two? You couldn't pay me enough to take that job.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So I saw another story that they said they had to delay so they could blur faces in the video of those involved in an "active internal investigation". That combined with all the other factors makes me think this may be another one the police made some kind of a mistake on. Guess we will see soon enough.
it also could be they have a bigger fish on the hook and don't want to blow the cover of the officers who were serving the warrant when this went down.

Police had an informant who they say had been buying heroin, meth and crack from this guys house for a year and they were serving the search warrant on the house....if they are trying to use this case to get to the guys supplier, they of course would want the faces hidden of the officers at this house

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Per NPR...the court has granted the county the authority to blur out the faces in the body cam footage before showing it to the family or releasing to the public.

Mayor has also ordered all City Govt buildings to be closed

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
7 officers were on site. Family was only shown 1 camera angle from 1 body cam which was redacted with blurred faces and family was only allowed to view 20 seconds of the video.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
7 officers were on site. Family was only shown 1 camera angle from 1 body cam which was redacted with blurred faces and family was only allowed to view 20 seconds of the video.
Hmm it seems odd to only allow them to view just 20 seconds of the video, I wonder how long the whole video actually is. You would think that there has to be something else going on behind the scenes that we do not yet know about

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Wow this footage has to be pretty bad if that is the case already
I know nothing about what the footage shows, but all cops involved in a shooting are routinely put on leave with pay pending full internal investigation.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
https://twitter.com/KrisKetzKMBC/status/1386769818775396359
This makes it seem like the officers were within "policy" to shoot. If he was inside the car and backing towards officers (as evidenced by the attorney saying he was reversing the car AND shot in the back of the head), that would be considered a credible threat to their lives.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This makes it seem like the officers were within "policy" to shoot. If he was inside the car and backing towards officers (as evidenced by the attorney saying he was reversing the car AND shot in the back of the head), that would be considered a credible threat to their lives.
Yeah the video should show more.

One attorney said that the video started after officers shooting had already started, and that the car didn't move until after officers started shooting.

My guess is he was in a standoff with police and they had guns drawn and he was in the car. I bet the officers were yelling for him to get out of the car, and he most likely gunned the engine and I bet the officers thought he was going and started firing and then the car started moving. Lawyers aren't going to call attention to things which may go against them in court. In this case the Lawyer left out the engine noises and what orders the officers were shouting and what if any compliance was being done

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The last person we should listen to right now is the family lawyer. He has zero incentive to say it was justified (not saying it was or wasn't, just that we shouldn't jump to any conclusion).