VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2011
Fair enough. Do you think it's weird that the erosion of trust in our elections didn't happen until this year?
Just addressing this portion; a big reason for this year getting more scrutiny was the door being opened by the differences in this election due to COVID. Hence the record smashing number of absentee/mail voting. The short notice & lack of safeguards that went with it made it a bigger deal. I have heard people from left and right questioning election security for the short time I have been able to vote, it just got bigger this year due to this change IMO.

As to what you're getting at, Trump did play things up a lot and that brought more attention to it, no doubt. He still sucks out loud & I'll be happy if I never have to see/hear from him again.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Just addressing this portion; a big reason for this year getting more scrutiny was the door being opened by the differences in this election due to COVID. Hence the record smashing number of absentee/mail voting. The short notice & lack of safeguards that went with it made it a bigger deal. I have heard people from left and right questioning election security for the short time I have been able to vote, it just got bigger this year due to this change IMO.

As to what you're getting at, Trump did play things up a lot and that brought more attention to it, no doubt. He still sucks out loud & I'll be happy if I never have to see/hear from him again.
I hear what you are saying, but it appeared that we had safeguards in place. I voted in September and received notification that my vote had been registered. There is no way in the world I could have walked into my polling place on election day and voted twice-to assume that hundreds of thousands of voters in key states got away with that is insane.

What would have helped would have been if states were allowed to tally but not report early votes prior to the election. It was an easy assumption ahead of time that mail in votes were going to favor Biden. If we saw those tallied on election night giving Biden clear leads earlier, that would have done a lot to convince voters everything was on the up and up.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
See, your weak liberal mind goes directly to racism. No thought or reason because that takes too much effort from a liberal. Rather, anyone who doesn’t need a safe space like you is automatically a racist. Never mind the names people like you called Herman Cain and Clarence Thomas. And certainly never mind the fact that so many people early on mistakenly pronounced her name this way until she finally came out and made the correction. Oh no, everything to you is just automatically racist.
Sorry, can't let ya off the hook just yet, fish.

Sequence of events:
1) You use the word camel in the place of the VP-elect's first name for...reasons. You didn't really elaborate on them.
2) I say that you use this pronunciation because you're probably a racist and the reason for so much of the angst in your postings is because you can't call her what you really want to call her.
3) You accuse me of being a racist, a liberal, and having said mean things about Herman Cain and Clarence Thomas (incorrect on all three accounts). Also, it would seem you are arguing that people saying bad things about these men 10 years ago makes it ok for you to do it now. I do love a good whataboutism - you aren't as polished as Cim, but you're showing promise.
4) My post got several likes on our conservative leaning board. Yours got...let me check... zero. Must have been me and all my liberal buddies getting together.

For the record, I'm anti-Trump, not liberal. But I think your binary brain these must mean the same thing. But as I've said a thousand times on here and in the real world... the man matters.

Respond however you like. At this point it's nothing but deflection anyway. You said something rude, I called you out, you got mad and threw a little hissy fit. Fishing's over.

Let's talk about how exciting it is that there are protests planned for the state capitals this week - because that's sure to calm things down.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
After seeing a stupid confederate flag being waved inside the capital building and the one behind it said Jesus saves. Upon seeing this Chuck Colson made this observation that I quoted below...I'd have been a bit more forceful and questioned their "Christianity" completely but it's still a good reminder to those who think disobedience to the law of the land is EVER ok for a Christian...even when the laws are profoundly "wrong" in our fallen minds. Always remember Christ example that ended on a Cross in self sacrifice rather than rebellion against human authorities...even when he could completely have overwhelmed them with heavenly force...he made a choice NOT to participate in revolts...and by those actions of submission and forgiveness overcame the world. Real peace comes through love of our fellow man...not forcing our will on others.

"Christian patriots should spend more time washing feet than waving flags.”—Chuck
Long ago, many thousands of people from the North fought and many died to make sure the confederate flag would never fly in the Capitol. Fortunately, that flag did not last long on Jan. 6.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Exactly. When does banning become discrimination?

As you said, there are a number of problematic directions this could go & if you're suddenly going to control the content, your house better be clean.
Couldn't agree more. And since the courts ruled that Trump couldn't block people on Twitter, banning him or anyone is real can of worms. You can't rule that people have a right to access your stuff, but you can be banned from it. Especially when presidents are involved.

21st century problems.

Dec 11, 2011
I hear what you are saying, but it appeared that we had safeguards in place. I voted in September and received notification that my vote had been registered. There is no way in the world I could have walked into my polling place on election day and voted twice-to assume that hundreds of thousands of voters in key states got away with that is insane.

What would have helped would have been if states were allowed to tally but not report early votes prior to the election. It was an easy assumption ahead of time that mail in votes were going to favor Biden. If we saw those tallied on election night giving Biden clear leads earlier, that would have done a lot to convince voters everything was on the up and up.
I was thinking more along the lines of any safeguards in place for identifying & confirming votes cast by absentee/mail in were indeed cast by the actual individual. A lot of those safeguards were removed or changed/ignored to accommodate COVID precautions. I don't think there was much opportunity, if any, for multiple votes cast in the name of one voter.
In any event, I think it's been made pretty clear that any fraud that may have happened was NOT enough to influence the winner.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
They still trying to get SCOTUS to overturn the election

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1348662379148697606
Like I've said before, being for Trump can really mess up some people's minds, even if you're smart enough to be a lawyer, Sidney Powell, and who wrote a well reviewed, best selling book, "Licensed to Lie", ironically enough.

However, according to Forbes, the court has not taken any action on several election-related “Kracken” lawsuits led by Sidney Powell—which include baseless accusations of fraud involving Dominion voting machines—which Powell appealed to the Supreme Court after the lawsuits failed in the lower courts.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
If you supported the Cake Maker a few years back in that case. You have to support Amazon now in this case

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1348722864103575557
I grant you the logic. And everything being equal I would agree.

But Amazon in turn is provided significant protections from the government (the cake maker does not enjoy those). I support Amazon's rights to drop Parler....but they also should lose their government protections of their company ...plus regulations which not only help their business, but infringe on the business freedoms of others (Amazon spent millions of lobbying dollars to get those protections).

Status
Not open for further replies.