VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2010
if Pence doesn't continue to follow through and help hold Trump responsible for his actions. Then yes. I would say it was the bare min.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1347270501719277571
I just saw an interview with Bolton regarding invoking the 25th, and he made some excellent points regarding the mechanics of actually trying to implement it. Based on what he said, I don't think it is a reasonable course of action any more than impeachment at this point. We're just going to have to bite the bullet and ride out the next two weeks.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I just saw an interview with Bolton regarding invoking the 25th, and he made some excellent points regarding the mechanics of actually trying to implement it. Based on what he said, I don't think it is a reasonable course of action any more than impeachment at this point. We're just going to have to bite the bullet and ride out the next two weeks.
Bolton's advice was stick him on AF1 and let him travel around the country playing golf for the next 2 weeks.

Bolton was speaking to the fact that Pence would have to get the Cab members to sign the letter to Congress in secret because if Trump found out he would just fire them and then their signature would be void.

But Trump is headed to Camp David for the Weekend. Pence won't have to do it in secret

Sep 22, 2011
Then the people in Washington are exactly the cowards i have always thought they were. When they came back in session and certified the election I had hope but if they don’t come together and figure some way to punish Trump for his part jn this then the wounds we suffered yesterday may never heal

ODMcB

Sheriff
Jun 20, 2012
Something was way out of line/screwed up yesterday with the DC cops and Capitol police.
IT WAS ORCHESTRATED. They had a rally next to the Capitol Building. They incited the mob. They wanted it to go further. QAnon believers are simply too stupid to know what to do once they got through the barriers. Too fake to believe in their own movement to die for it. They made no political statements, they stole stationery and took selfies. I can't think of a group with less intellect than those that got inside. A group of 5th graders with basic civics would've had a more powerful political outcome than what those idiots did. They stole paper and podiums. That's all. Their moment and speech is one damn syllable: Trump! Same statement as when he cleared Lafayette Square to hold up a bible. No thought. No words. Just look at me> Trump.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
What Else to Lindsay want to happen??

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1347273406018973698
I wonder how much of that has to do with how little time Trump has left? Does he say the same thing if this happened in July, for instance? Idk.

I do think it's important to think about the implications of invoking the 25th. I think you have to think long & hard about what precedent is set & how it might be used in the future.

I would imagine that alot of lawmakers want him gone, but they also don't want to see the 25th weaponized in the future. Keep in mind, you had people calling for the 25th like 2 years ago. Love him or hate him, that was dangerously premature. The gravity of envoking the 25th should meet the absolute highest standards & be anything but partisan.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I would imagine that alot of lawmakers want him gone, but they also don't want to see the 25th weaponized in the future. Keep in mind, you had people calling for the 25th like 2 years ago. Love him or hate him, that was dangerously premature. The gravity of envoking the 25th should meet the absolute highest standards & be anything but partisan.
Congress still has to vote on it and pass it you know AND they have to do so with a Super Majority in both houses. it would 100% have to be a non partisan thing to actually work.

The Constitution basically makes it nearly impossible to weaponize

ODMcB

Sheriff
Jun 20, 2012
I wonder how much of that has to do with how little time Trump has left? Does he say the same thing if this happened in July, for instance? Idk.

I do think it's important to think about the implications of invoking the 25th. I think you have to think long & hard about what precedent is set & how it might be used in the future.

I think there's plenty of clear minded GoP Congressmen and Senators that will see this differently than a weapon. It's also just for 14 days. But those 14 days should have this asshat far, far away from the Big Red Phone.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Then the people in Washington are exactly the cowards i have always thought they were. When they came back in session and certified the election I had hope but if they don’t come together and figure some way to punish Trump for his part jn this then the wounds we suffered yesterday may never heal
Well, we used to live in a civilized society, now Idk.

Anyway, just because the guy's not hanging from the Washington Monument today doesn't mean he's not getting punished. I mean, I completely agree about people wanting their pound of flesh here, but we're also talking about removing a sitting President. I don't want an emotional reaction here, I want a pragmatic one that also looks to the future & what implications envoking the 25th here might have.

Sep 22, 2011
Fair enough. However, I just don’t believe he “crossed a line” in the sense that he actively promoted and encouraged grown adults to storm the Capitol. I mean really, I think you give him way too much credit and don’t do nearly enough to invoke personal responsibility. Again, yes, he should have at least done something more to squash it one it was clear what was happening.
Did you watch the speeches at the rally? Did you see the tweet he put out minutes before the crowd rushed the barricades? Did you see his tweets and his message to the people while the capitol was occupied? What would be your red line for inciting insurrection?

Sep 22, 2011
exactly. Trump thinks he can do anything he wants until the 19th...and pardon himself on that day and walk clean

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1347276346490314753
This is another reason to remove him now, pardoning himself is a constitutional crisis waiting to happen.

ODMcB

Sheriff
Jun 20, 2012

The precedent is a pretty high bar at this point. I mean, what's your baseline of worthiness for it? Yesterday was the most extreme thing we've seen in all our lives as far political partisanship and strife goes. Do you really want this man to control the nuclear codes at this point and the next two weeks? If anyone would push the button simply based on ego, it's him.

ODMcB

Sheriff
Jun 20, 2012
exactly. Trump thinks he can do anything he wants until the 19th...and pardon himself on that day and walk clean

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1347276346490314753
Everyone around him should tell him he has to do the paperwork himself. I guarantee he doesn't have the knowledge to do it.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Well, we used to live in a civilized society, now Idk.

Anyway, just because the guy's not hanging from the Washington Monument today doesn't mean he's not getting punished. I mean, I completely agree about people wanting their pound of flesh here, but we're also talking about removing a sitting President. I don't want an emotional reaction here, I want a pragmatic one that also looks to the future & what implications envoking the 25th here might have.
I have more concern about what precedent is set for not having any consequences at all for his actions yesterday. What happens when a bad actor with an ounce of sense is in his position and knows they can go at LEAST that far without any repercussions? Unfortunately, the time frame for getting anything of the magnitude of invoking the 25th amendment or impeachment is probably not realistic considering the pace Washington moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.