VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
WOW...Trump has to go
WH withdraws Acting Dept of Homeland Security nomination. Trump won't let Pence chief of staff into the WH, and now he is trying to remove people who are just asking him to condemn the violence of yesterday

Agreed, & so do journalists who feel the need to opine as they report.

I can think of multiple JB Profs I had at OSU who would rip her a new one for that tweet, but it's pretty standard practice now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...mmediately/ar-BB1cyHeU?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

What happened at the U.S. Capitol yesterday was an insurrection against the United States, incited by the president," Schumer said in a statement. "This president should not hold office one day longer."

"If the vice president and the Cabinet refuse to stand up, Congress should reconvene to impeach the president,” he added.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...mmediately/ar-BB1cyHeU?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

What happened at the U.S. Capitol yesterday was an insurrection against the United States, incited by the president," Schumer said in a statement. "This president should not hold office one day longer."

"If the vice president and the Cabinet refuse to stand up, Congress should reconvene to impeach the president,” he added.
I would hate to see an impeachment ( time, money, and drama) push the 25 th and be done with it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://news.yahoo.com/barr-says-trumps-conduct-betrayal-160047346.html

Former Attorney General William Barr says President Donald Trump’s conduct as a violent mob of his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol was a “betrayal of his office and supporters.”
Barr said Thursday that “orchestrating a mob to pressure Congress is inexcusable” in a statement obtained by NBC News. The Associated Press was the first to report Barr's remarks.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://news.yahoo.com/sedition-us-capitol-breach-almost-105557135.html

“If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."​
The phrase “delay the execution of the law” is key, and it is what was seen from some of the rioters Wednesday, said Devin Schindler, a law professor who once clerked for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

“For at least some of these protesters, particularly the ones that broke into the Capitol, I think there's an extraordinarily strong case that they used force to delay, to hinder, the execution of our laws governing the election and how electoral votes are counted,” he said. “It seems fairly clear to me, based on what we're seeing, that folks are in fact, almost textbook violating this seditious conspiracy statute by using force to interfere with lawful government activity."

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I think those people were probably supremacists or other anarchist types trying to take advantage of the chaos.
Not infiltration, they just happened to be there to support chaos and when it happened, tried to benefit from it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
If you supported "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" this past summer, you should probably set out trying to minimize and deny the role of actual Trump supporters in yesterdays riots, violence, and property damage by suggesting it was somebody else that did all the "really" wrong stuff.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If you supported "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" this past summer, you should probably set out trying to minimize and deny the role of actual Trump supporters in yesterdays riots, violence, and property damage by suggesting it was somebody else that did all the "really" wrong stuff.
You've both done a great job of showing how both sides act in the same manner.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You've both done a great job of showing how both sides act in the same manner.
During the summer rioting, I said that those that did commit violent acts, destroy property, or commit other crimes should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

As the same time, I pointed out that law enforcement and the federal government had to respect the Constitution (particularly 4th, 5th, 6th Amendment) and due process and civil rights in their investigations and responses.

Nothing has changed for me on either front with regards to yesterday's actions.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
During the summer rioting, I said that those that did commit violent acts, destroy property, or commit other crimes should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

As the same time, I pointed out that law enforcement and the federal government had to respect the Constitution (particularly 4th, 5th, 6th Amendment) and due process and civil rights in their investigations and responses.

Nothing has changed for me on either front with regards to yesterday's actions.
Fair enough, I've confused you with someone else then.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Fair enough, I've confused you with someone else then.
You absolutely have.

Hell, I'm now a prosecutor and before than worked for a state law enforcement agency for 20 years....I'm married to a copy.

You're not going to see me sympathizing with anyone that breaks the law.

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Schumer & Pelosi both said that expanding the Supreme Court would be on the table if Democrats took control of the Senate. 11 of the Democratic presidential candidates said they would be open to it during the debates. (Biden refused to answer the question.) There have been a lot of far left politicians call for it to happen.

Washington D.C.'s lack of statehood is enshrined in the Constitution. It's only 68 square miles. For reference, that's about 1/10 the size of Payne County. It was originally ceded by Virginia & Maryland. If the residential areas want congressional representation, they should be ceded back to their original states. There's no justification to create a teeny tiny state just so that Democrats can pick up 2 Senate seats and shift the balance of power.

Puerto Ricans have voted for statehood multiple times now, and Democrats have tried to make it happen. They know that this will likely add 2 Democrats to the Senate and help shift the power in their favor.
I believe we are still a democracy. A democracy is made up of voting citizens not of acreage.

Last I checked, there are more Americans living in Washington DC than Vermont or Wyoming. Almost as many as in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.