VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Additionally, apologies to anyone I was rude towards (@OSUinTX and @Rack specifically). If you thought I was being a jerk, you’re right. Digital anonymity and using a keyboard as proxy aren’t good excuses for being uncivil.
The thing is, this is a tense time and we shouldn't let our politics divide us. Politics shouldn't be the first order of who we are, it should just be a sidebar. We should treat our fellow man / woman with respect and dignity no matter what they think or who they are. We have a shared human condition and we aren't here forever. So thanks for saying what you said, but really it's not a big deal to me and you haven't made me upset with you specifically at all. We will have to have a beer one of these days, you are right about the keyboard and anonymity...it's just that and we are all Pokes fans so you know we would get along on that at least.

Politically, I do think most people what similar things. Freedom from oppression, a sense of belonging, a great future for our children and grandchildren...they just have a different way of thinking regarding how we get to that future and what it looks like.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Why would Hunter drop off his laptop to be repaired at this shop with this important info. on it and then not even bother to go back and get it?!
I thought that too, but people do stupid stuff like that all the time. I mean it wasn't that long ago that an IT guy for a presidential candidate got on Reddit and asked about bleachbit.

On a serious note though, being in IT, I see it all the time. People think this stuff is hidden.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Why would Hunter drop off his laptop to be repaired at this shop with this important info. on it and then not even bother to go back and get it?!
If you were in his shoes, would you even take it to a shop? Couldn't you find someone you could trust to repair it (surely he knows people who knows people) ha. Even if you did have a momentary lapse in judgement, would you just leave it there and not worry about getting it back?
Drugs do strange things to ones mind . . . . so i''m told

Sep 12, 2008
I thought that too, but people do stupid stuff like that all the time. I mean it wasn't that long ago that an IT guy for a presidential candidate got on Reddit and asked about bleachbit.

On a serious note though, being in IT, I see it all the time. People think this stuff is hidden.
I don't do computer forensics anymore because of what you find on people's computers.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Do you find it unusual for a busy grow son to fly with Joe Biden to visit Ukraine and China? Was he there to help
Joe Biden made foreign policy? Was he there for a vacation? What did Joe Biden say Hunters role was in allowing him to attend these official trips?
Who knows. All I found about trips was a few articles that was already trying to dig in. They didn't dig up much. So my guess is there is not much there.

We know Hunter worked in the private sector in Ukraine. So maybe they just synced up trips to travel together and spend time together for all I know.

I do know the Daughter of the current POTUS is on White House staff and has business dealings in China too. So if there are points of concern it should go in both directions.

"On April 6, Ivanka Trump’s company won provisional approval from the Chinese government for three new trademarks, giving it monopoly rights to sell Ivanka brand jewelry, bags and spa services in the world’s second-largest economy. That night, the first daughter and her husband, Jared Kushner, sat next to the president of China and his wife for a steak and Dover sole dinner at Mar-a-Lago."

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Who knows. All I found about trips was a few articles that was already trying to dig in. They didn't dig up much. So my guess is there is not much there.

We know Hunter worked in the private sector in Ukraine. So maybe they just synced up trips to travel together and spend time together for all I know.

I do know the Daughter of the current POTUS is on White House staff and has business dealings in China too. So if there are points of concern it should go in both directions.

"On April 6, Ivanka Trump’s company won provisional approval from the Chinese government for three new trademarks, giving it monopoly rights to sell Ivanka brand jewelry, bags and spa services in the world’s second-largest economy. That night, the first daughter and her husband, Jared Kushner, sat next to the president of China and his wife for a steak and Dover sole dinner at Mar-a-Lago."
I'm just wondering how much money goya had to "donate" to the trump campaign to get these pictures released on their social media accounts.

Attachments

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
i have a growing fear that the reason we hear of no ongoing investigations is that these federal officials are interested in keeping their jobs.
Ok, so the same agencies that brought charges against the current POTUS's team is now afraid to make charges against a future candidate(one of 6ish) in Dec 2019? I ain't buying it. If that were the case it would speak to poor leadership at the DOJ. Which would be an appointment by whom? Oh yeah, Trump.

This is the same agency that was so worried about keeping their future jobs that they announced an investigation against the leading candidate(at that time) weeks before the 2016 election right? Then immediately after the election started investigations into the current POTUS that eventually resulted in a half dozen convictions.

Does the DOJ have political leanings? Yea, now more than ever. But it still functions to some degree. To imply they have a bias against Trump at the moment too. Or in favor of Biden is a pretty huge stretch.

There is always huge turnover at the DOJ between WH Administrations. If anything there is more freedom at the end of a term because you can hide behind the people getting fired anyway. Bill Barr is gone day 1 if Biden takes over. He has free reign to do as he pleases investigation wise. As a matter of fact Trump if pushing him to do it now. Barr just finished his "unmasking" of Obama for instance.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
I'm just wondering how much money goya had to "donate" to the trump campaign to get these pictures released on their social media accounts.
Oh gawd forgot about that.

Imagine the melt down there would be if Joe and Hunter had a picture leak where they are both posing with Burisma shirts on. And Hunter didn't even work in the WH.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Do you find it unusual for a busy grow son to fly with Joe Biden to visit Ukraine and China? Was he there to help
Joe Biden made foreign policy? Was he there for a vacation? What did Joe Biden say Hunters role was in allowing him to attend these official trips?
I dont find it any more strange or unusual than making your previously inexperienced children integral members of your administration from day one. With top secret clearances to boot.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Oh gawd forgot about that.

Imagine the melt down there would be if Joe and Hunter had a picture leak where they are both posing with Burisma shirts on. And Hunter didn't even work in the WH.
I genuinely thought this was illegal. but i guess it isnt. Or , they just did it anyway, because, well , you know, they can.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

That whole thing is just weird. First, a very high profile man whose dad is named Joe Biden drops off a laptop at a repair shop. 1st off, if im in the circles they're in i might just have a guy for these things that i can trust.

Secondly, he never gets it back. Okay, fine, but knowing there was incriminating info on there, just suddenly decides he doesnt need it? Ok maybe he forgot. Then the shop owner holds on to it for a year and a half. that's 18 months. did he try contacting his customer? or did he decide to himself, well its time to open this bad boy up and snoop through his email. when asked whether or not he called hunter to get his property back, he declined to comment. uh huh.

So now im wondering, why is this guy snooping Biden's email? Then i read more about this and turns out the shop owner is actually an ardent trump supporter and months after viewing the data on the damaged hard drive, he turned it into the fbi with the hopes that it would vindicate trump from being impeached. And apparently the fbi had contacted him to help with the contents of the drive. which is weird because their forensic people surely are more capable with better tools than some shop owner.

You know what else he did? he made a copy of the data on the laptop and sent it to rudy guliani's lawyer. of all people. Just in time for one of those cool october surprises. You know the reason he stated for this? he said he did it because he feared for his safety and giuliani said he wanted someone to have it incase he was killed. cant make this up! so he thought, hey i'll just give this to the president's lawyer's lawyer and it wont raise my profile at all! now anyone with google can know who he is and what he did. It's just such a fishy case.

Aug 16, 2012
If you were in his shoes, would you even take it to a shop? Couldn't you find someone you could trust to repair it (surely he knows people who knows people) ha. Even if you did have a momentary lapse in judgement, would you just leave it there and not worry about getting it back?
Spitballing because like everyone else, I have no idea but have a theory based on other experiences.

He did it to ditch it.

Cannot just throw it away or claim it is lost because that would lend the appearance of hiding it. So, you take it to a shop for repair with the intention of never coming back for it. As a laptop, one of two things will typically happen to it. Upon being declared abandoned, which I have read that it was, the shop owner sells it or cannibalizes it for parts. Happens at computer shops all the time, especially when an item is older technology and for the cost of the repair plus a few bucks, you can get a brand new system. Think those boxes upon boxes of random computer parts just randomly appear at a computer shop? Nope, this is exactly how they get there.

Pawn shops are utilized everyday in much the same manner.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Sounds like LDS to me. And I’m not talking Latter Day Saints.

This whole policy over personality is an attempt to ignore Trump’s distasteful methods. Basically, “The ends justify the means.” Every time I bring this up with a rational Trump supporter (there are some), they wince. They don’t like the phrase “ends justify the means,” but can’t give a solid argument for why that isn’t the case.

This argument is also an attempt to paint those who don’t support Trump as superficially hung up on Trump’s personality instead of paying attention to his policies. It’s a straw man argument. I have much deeper issues with Trump than simply his personality.
I like his policy. Guy is an asshat but his policy has been good to me and most other Americans. Bidens policy according to the Wall Street Journal is going to make for a long broke 4 years til he gone. If he wins.

Aug 16, 2012
Additionally, apologies to anyone I was rude towards (@OSUinTX and @Rack specifically). If you thought I was being a jerk, you’re right. Digital anonymity and using a keyboard as proxy aren’t good excuses for being uncivil.
Hey, appreciate it, but unnecessary. Lively debate is good. I thought you approached personal attacks toward the end of the day, and I admit I used some personal adjectives that I should not have which I should apologize for, but all-in-all, I did not think you a jerk, just having conviction which is a good thing. You have your opinion, I have mine. To be honest, I prefer the dialog instead of surreptitiously thumbing someone down without providing any context for why. All part of the game so again, appreciate this comment and I am sure at some point again we will find ourselves on opposite sides of a topic knowing that it is just debate and not personal. We are good as far as I am concerned.