Dreaded sense of inevitability

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
We can certainly agree on that. Nobody is gonna admit they’re wrong. But in the process of observing others argue, perhaps some fans pick up nuggets of information, gain molecules of perspective, and eventually become better fans. And by better I mean the type of social media posters the coaches don’t have to direct their players away from.

One more thing about QB decisions.
The first hurdle any QB that’s new to a system has to clear before getting meaningful practice snaps is getting the team to line up correctly. That is, making sure the other 10 players are correctly aligned before calling for the snap. And to accomplish that, you gotta know the playbook, the play calls and the terminology. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how big, strong and accurate a QB is, or how well he sees the field or moves in the pocket. If a QB can’t get the team lined up correctly, he’s gonna find himself behind the QBs that can.

Who’s to say which of Gundy’s “bad” QB decisions were impacted simply by the inability of one or more QBs to get the team lined up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I'm only going to focus on the Weeden one in this conversation, as it seems to be the most egregious after the Robinson injury. Weeden clearly could do that as he showed it in the comeback win against CO. And yet even after I think a bye week to tweak the offense to Weeden's strengths, Gundy did what he did. And I've given Gundy credit for making the right decision as well, as with Robinson over Reid, etc, as well as pointed out he's not the only one to have difficulty picking QB's. I think it's clearly the toughest position to evaluate at every level.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I’ve got a positive!

We’re the goddamn better team. Doesn’t mean we’ll win. But I’m convinced we as a whole put better starters out on the field this year.

If you don’t believe that, then here’s a different positive.

As much as a lot of you dislike Sanders because he’s the guy who will lose you a game, he’s also the high variance type that will win you a game your not supposed to win. A bad offensive line losing their match ups? This is the type of QB who, when he gets to play freely, can be the type to overcome it.

Our on the field leadership is incredibly strong right now, on defense Amen and Tre Sterling are true leaders of men. Rodarius Williams was baptized in the 2017 Bedlam game, he has the ability rebound from anything. On offense, Josh Sills is as tough as nails, Chubba and Spencer are strong voices, and Tylan is THAT guy. I trust those leaders to bring a team out that’s not scared of the sticker on the side of a helmet.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We can certainly agree on that. Nobody is gonna admit they’re wrong. But in the process of observing others argue, perhaps some fans pick up nuggets of information, gain molecules of perspective, and eventually become better fans. And by better I mean the type of social media posters the coaches don’t have to direct their players away from.

One more thing about QB decisions.
The first hurdle any QB that’s new to a system has to clear before getting meaningful practice snaps is getting the team to line up correctly. That is, making sure the other 10 players are correctly aligned before calling for the snap. And to accomplish that, you gotta know the playbook, the play calls and the terminology. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how big, strong and accurate a QB is, or how well he sees the field or moves in the pocket. If a QB can’t get the team lined up correctly, he’s gonna find himself behind the QBs that can.

Who’s to say which of Gundy’s “bad” QB decisions were impacted simply by the inability of one or more QBs to get the team lined up?

Well, I'm only going to focus on the Weeden one in this conversation, as it seems to be the most egregious after the Robinson injury. Weeden clearly could do that as he showed it in the comeback win against CO. And yet even after I think a bye week to tweak the offense to Weeden's strengths, Gundy did what he did. And I've given Gundy credit for making the right decision as well, as with Robinson over Reid, etc, as well as pointed out he's not the only one to have difficulty picking QB's. I think it's clearly the toughest position to evaluate at every level.
If you’re talking about the decision to start Cate over Weeden, that’s absolutely the easiest QB decision to understand IMO.

Nov 6, 2010
If you’re talking about the decision to start Cate over Weeden, that’s absolutely the easiest QB decision to understand IMO.

Have to agree to disagree then. When Weeden came in at the half, the difference was so striking that I almost couldn't believe my eyes. It was even worse for the OU game given Gundy saw what he could do in live action and had a chance to work with it. Then we got to watch that beauty of a game in Jerry World where we scored 1 TD, on a Keith Toston pop pass. And I don't really blame him for starting Robinson at the Cotton Bowl, he was a senior and had a month to get well and had earned the right to play. It just highlighted how poor of a decision it was to start him at OU.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Have to agree to disagree then. When Weeden came in at the half, the difference was so striking that I almost couldn't believe my eyes. It was even worse for the OU game given Gundy saw what he could do in live action and had a chance to work with it. Then we got to watch that beauty of a game in Jerry World where we scored 1 TD, on a Keith Toston pop pass. And I don't really blame him for starting Robinson at the Cotton Bowl, he was a senior and had a month to get well and had earned the right to play. It just highlighted how poor of a decision it was to start him at OU.
Lets start with the decision to go with Cate over Weeden.

The story begins in 2005, Gundy's first year. We ran a zone-read offense with the good chunk of the plays being QB keepers. Donovon Woods ran the ball 100 times in 2005. Cate signs in Feb of 2006 as a dual-threat QB recruited to run the zone-read. After 2006 fall camp, Reid was QB1, Robinson QB2 and Cate QB3. That year Bobby Reid/Zac Robinson ran the ball a combined 143 times. In 2007 Weeden walks-on for fall camp. He wasn't recruited to run Gundy's zone-read, he was just looking for an opportunity to play and it wouldn't cost Gundy a scholarship since the Yankees were paying his tuition. Understandably, he exited fall camp as QB4 with Reid at QB1, ZRob at QB2 and Cate at QB3. As we all know, Robinson took over QB1 duties beginning with the rant game v TTech. In 2007 Reid/Robinson ran the ball 159 times - a huge chunk of our offense. Coming out of camp in 2008 ZRob was QB1, Cate QB2 and Weeden QB3. Again, it's understandable since Zrob and Cate could both run the zone-read while Weeden couldn't. That year ZRob/Cate combined for 152 rushes - a huge chunk of the offense. Coing out of fall 2009 fall camp, again ZRob was Qb1, Cate QB2 and Weeden QB3. The decision for Cate at QB2 was clear and obvious given neither Cate or Weeden had any meaningful play time, but Cate could run the entire offense, the offense they had been practicing and employing since 2005. Weeden on the other hand couldn't effectively execute the zone-read and by ALL accounts, was not a good practice player. What other choice did Gundy have but give Cate QB2 snaps (~10-15%)? Why would you ever elevate a QB that couldn't execute a heavily relied upon section of the playbook to QB2 status over a QB that could?

So, Cate starts against CU, demonstrates he's not ready for the lights, and Gundy makes a bold move to put in a guy that isn't equipped to execute what they'd practiced all year. Brilliant move, great result. ZRob ran the ball 146 times in 2009. In 2010 Gundy brings in a new OC to redesign the offense for Weeden.

As for the reason to play ZRob against OU and in the Cotton Bowl? I'm a little baffled by that move, but it's logical to assume Gundy wanted to run the entire playbook, was hoping ZRob was healthy enough to be effective, trusted ZRob not to get us beat with mistakes, while giving him the reward for a great career in his last opportunities to play. For all I know, there may be other reasons. In the end, Gundy probably had a team that could have won one or both of those games, but circumstances, whatever they were, didn't let that happen. I've got it marked down as 2 losses.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010

The story begins in 2005, Gundy's first year. We ran a zone-read offense with the good chunk of the plays being QB keepers. Donovon Woods ran the ball 100 times in 2005. Cate signs in Feb of 2006 as a dual-threat QB recruited to run the zone-read. After 2006 fall camp, Reid was QB1, Robinson QB2 and Cate QB3. That year Bobby Reid/Zac Robinson ran the ball a combined 143 times. In 2007 Weeden walks-on for fall camp. He wasn't recruited to run Gundy's zone-read, he was just looking for an opportunity to play and it wouldn't cost Gundy a scholarship since the Yankees were paying his tuition. Understandably, he exited fall camp as QB4 with Reid at QB1, ZRob at QB2 and Cate at QB3. As we all know, Robinson took over QB1 duties beginning with the rant game v TTech. In 2007 Reid/Robinson ran the ball 159 times - a huge chunk of our offense. Coming out of camp in 2008 ZRob was QB1, Cate QB2 and Weeden QB3. Again, it's understandable since Zrob and Cate could both run the zone-read while Weeden couldn't. That year ZRob/Cate combined for 152 rushes - a huge chunk of the offense. Coing out of fall 2009 fall camp, again ZRob was Qb1, Cate QB2 and Weeden QB3. The decision for Cate at QB2 was clear and obvious given neither Cate or Weeden had any meaningful play time, but Cate could run the entire offense, the offense they had been practicing and employing since 2005. Weeden on the other hand couldn't effectively execute the zone-read and by ALL accounts, was not a good practice player. What other choice did Gundy have but give Cate QB2 snaps (~10-15%)? Why would you ever elevate a QB that couldn't execute a heavily relied upon section of the playbook to QB2 status over a QB that could?

So, Cate starts against CU, demonstrates he's not ready for the lights, and Gundy makes a bold move to put in a guy that isn't equipped to execute what they'd practiced all year. Brilliant move, great result. ZRob ran the ball 146 times in 2009.

As for the reason to play ZRob against OU and in the Cotton Bowl? I'm a little baffled by that move, but it's logical to assume Gundy wanted to run the entire playbook, was hoping ZRob was healthy enough to be effective, trusted ZRob not to get us beat with mistakes, while giving him the reward for a great career in his last opportunities to play. For all I know, there may be other reasons. In the end, Gundy probably had a team that could have won one or both of those games, but circumstances, whatever they were, didn't let that happen. I've got it marked down as 2 losses.
No, sorry, TLDR, and it's been beat up too much. No mas!

Aug 16, 2012

So, Cate starts against CU, demonstrates he's not ready for the lights, and Gundy makes a bold move to put in a guy that isn't equipped to execute what they'd practiced all year. Brilliant move, great result. ZRob ran the ball 146 times in 2009. In 2010 Gundy brings in a new OC to redesign the offense for Weeden.

Yeah, we are going to have to agree to disagree on Cate being a zone-read QB. He was a pure pocket passer and nothing more. Not many dual-threat/zone-read QBs throw for over 5000 yards in HS. He was a passer.

In the CU game, had but two rushes (of the combined 152 you mentioned) for 5 yards total in the first half and one of those was an outright, running for his life scramble on a broken down pass play. Hell, Weeden had the same five yards in the second half. Cannot find a full game replay to confirm my recollection, but the partial clip I did find does not show any zone-read offense. It is strictly the pistol with Cate doing nothing but handing off to Toston and Hunter.

Do recall the "does not practice well" comments but those I recall being more of a lackadaisical attitude as opposed to a lack of execution.

I disagree with the "playbook" reason for starting ZRob in the bowl game. By that point, Weeden had been in the program for three seasons, one as a redshirt, one as a back-up and the 2009 season. If he did not know the playbook by the bowl game, there was no way in hell he was ever going to know it by the following season.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yeah, we are going to have to agree to disagree on Cate being a zone-read QB. He was a pure pocket passer and nothing more. Not many dual-threat/zone-read QBs throw for over 5000 yards in HS. He was a passer.

In the CU game, had but two rushes (of the combined 152 you mentioned) for 5 yards total in the first half and one of those was an outright, running for his life scramble on a broken down pass play. Hell, Weeden had the same five yards in the second half. Cannot find a full game replay to confirm my recollection, but the partial clip I did find does not show any zone-read offense. It is strictly the pistol with Cate doing nothing but handing off to Toston and Hunter.

Do recall the "does not practice well" comments but those I recall being more of a lackadaisical attitude as opposed to a lack of execution.

I disagree with the "playbook" reason for starting ZRob in the bowl game. By that point, Weeden had been in the program for three seasons, one as a redshirt, one as a back-up and the 2009 season. If he did not know the playbook by the bowl game, there was no way in hell he was ever going to know it by the following season.
The old "practice" line, he saved Gundy's butt and he was still on the bench. Kind of like Illingworth

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

It wasn’t that Weeden didn’t know the playbook, he couldn’t execute a good chunk of the play book.

Oct 30, 2007
I agree with you, but Bullock over Illingworth makes sense. Illingworth almost didn't suit up for the game as he had missed the prior 10 days of practice.
He was still clearly head & shoulders above Bullock, despite the disruption to his practice schedule. Maybe Bullock looked better in practice though. You never know how a player will play once they're thrust into live action.
Bullock came in and is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen in football at any level. Not sure how that could not be evident in practice.

Oct 30, 2007

It wasn’t that Weeden didn’t know the playbook, he couldn’t execute a good chunk of the play book.

He executed pretty well against Colorado.

Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, I am calling BS on that one. Almost three full seasons later I am not buying the "does not know/cannot execute the playbook" argument when comparing backup #1 to backup #2. Neither had taken meaningful snaps in their career. Again, looking at a truncated film, but sure seems like they ran the exact same plays in the second half of the CU game as the first but they worked because Weeden could actually complete a pass and keep the defense honest.

Weeden was, and still is a goober in the aspect he does not take everything like his life depended on it. More people need his disposition. He is a good-ol-boy who at the time had a bank account full of money, a hot wife, was much older than everyone else and could say he played professional baseball. He did not have to be there and his devil-may-care attitude kept him from being #2, not his ability.

My opinion. Unless you are Brandon Weeden or Mike Gundy, our opinions are just that. In hindsight not only did it not work....in my opinion....there is nothing I could see that would justify Gundy going with Cate in the first place. Some degree of speculation as to the worthiness of the decision can be made based on results.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
As much as a lot of you dislike Sanders because he’s the guy who will lose you a game, he’s also the high variance type that will win you a game your not supposed to win. A bad offensive line losing their match ups? This is the type of QB who, when he gets to play freely, can be the type to overcome it.
Honest question: Can you name a game where Sanders has done this? I can't think of one, off the top of my head, but I'm ready to admit that I may have forgotten it.

I think the more probable senario is Sanders tries to do something beyond his capabilities and turns the ball over.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I say, no.

You can make a good decision but get a bad result.
You can make a bad decision and get a good result.

Example as it applies to football.

Its the first quarter and it's 4th and 15 from your own 20. You, like every coach in history, make a good decision and decide to punt. The snap goes over the punter's head and is recovered by the defense for a TD. Good decision, bad result.

Same situation, but you, in a fit of rage at your offense's ineptitude and unlike any coach in history, make a bad decision and decide to run a dive. Inexplicably, the defense doesn't defend the middle of the field and the RB goes 80 for a TD. Bad decision, good result.
I get all that but I thought the question pertained to fans reactions/expectations when looking at QB decisions/results. To me, that group is pretty myopic.

Aug 16, 2012
Honest question: Can you name a game where Sanders has done this? I can't think of one, off the top of my head, but I'm ready to admit that I may have forgotten it.

I think the more probable senario is Sanders tries to do something beyond his capabilities and turns the ball over.
Sanders is my driver. I can hit it over 300 but 300 and in the fairway only happens a few times a round and when I do, numbers with circles around them show up on my card. The other times I am either scrambling to make par or trying to figure out how I am going to survive the hole at all. I keep playing my driver because like Sanders, when it works like it is supposed to, the results are there and can usually card a decent day even if it is off.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Sanders is my driver. I can hit it over 300 but 300 and in the fairway only happens a few times a round and when I do, numbers with circles around them show up on my card. The other times I am either scrambling to make par or trying to figure out how I am going to survive the hole at all. I keep playing my driver because like Sanders, when it works like it is supposed to, the results are there and can usually card a decent day even if it is off.
So are you saying it works or not?

Dec 11, 2011
Chicks dig the long ball

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Oh, let me see...just some obvious comprehension 101 to follow...

Robinson...best QB but not a starter until mid season
Weeden...best QB but not a starter until injury and then replace for Bedlam by a very injured Robinson
Chelf...best QB but not a starter except for injury
Illingworth...???not a starter except for injury and who knows in the future...

This is a trend. To his credit Mike is loyal to the position he played and the guys he recruits to play it...
Like...

Reid...
Cate...
JW Walsh...
Garman...
Dare I say it...

I LOVE what Mike Gundy has done for our program...he has been our best coach every...but he's not beyond reproach and critical observation...especially at the QB position that he has initially mess up multiple times before making the right decision each time down the line. I just think he holds on too long after it's obvious.
Agree except for Garman.
With the father as the manager, Dax Garman started the transfer portal.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
OPINION...
We don't practice with the intensity to see gamers...we thud tackle, we don't have the kind of toughness that teams in the old days had...this is due to a verity of reasons, some good, some bad...BUT IMHO this is why they cannot evaluate kids properly until games are played. Once again, I LOVE Gundy and think he is our best ever coach...and I want him to be here until he wants to retire...HOWEVER, if winning, is the main thing he's not putting it first in terms of who starts at QB...Instead he holds on to what he want's to be the case based on recruiting, personality, etc...until he just has to make a change. Also, just so you know, I want Spenser Sanders to be the guy and step up and show it, he seems awesome in the locker room and is a team first guy, at least from what I have seen...he just has yet to step up on the field of play in my eyes.
.....and coaches blew the whittles and stop plays when the set plays went busted. They were not very interested to see how players improvise broken plays. Practices were focus on routine set plays, RPO progressions and repetitive executions.